Jealous Thai husband kills wife over 8,000 baht debt - drink cited as contributing factor yet again

webfact

5pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Alcohol was once again cited as a contributing factor in a gruesome murder at a fishing facility in Chachoengsao in central Thailand.

A Thai husband called Khamphut, 42, who was drunk attacked his wife with a fruit paring knife.

They had argued about splitting up with the wife refusing to reconcile. She also owed him 8,000 baht that he was trying to recover, reported Thai Rath.

Bang Nam Priaw police found Weerawan, 38, dead from 7 wounds. The most serious was a huge gash in her neck.

The bloodstained knife was recovered from in front of accommodation for workers. 

A friend in the next room said the couple arrived two months ago and were always arguing. 

The friend had gone to their room and had fled in terror after he was threatened when Khamphut went for a knife.

5pm1.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

He said he tried to stop the confrontation but feared for his own safety.

After running out he heard screams then silence.

Then he saw the assailant grab a bag and run off into the fields behind the accommodation.

As police were processing the scene they got a report of the murderer walking along a road ten kilometers away and he was soon in custody. 

Police said it was a case of marital jealousy and arguments over a debt of 8,000 baht - fueled by drink.

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-04

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 6

another one that owed money to the guy .....  8,000  which she hadn't given back.

when some thai's see this on the news maybe they will think seriously about paying back owed or borrowed money instead of the usual keep it and never pay back like most Thais do.

• Like 1

Those types of reporting become common everyday like reporting someone crossing the road, it is well know facts that people under a heavy influence of any kind of drugs be it liquid power or solid to loose grip on realty and go on rampage, not all, but those who do, cause untold grief and damage...

45 minutes ago, 2long said:

So is alcohol really to blame, and do they really need to mention it two or three times?

Excuses, excuses. Whenever I ask my students why they didn't do the homework, didn't study, the excuses come flying. They put an awful lot of effort into this, more than just doing the work they should've to begin with. Same with all the road accidents and "brake failure", "microsleep", "I didn't know it contained alcohol", etc.

And of course, with the enraged Thai man who hacked the Brit to death, and his friend nearly so, the first concern about him was his "mental health".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 2long said:

I have drunk alcohol for more than half the days of the past 30 years.... and never once killed anyone, or even tried to attack them with a knife. So is alcohol really to blame, and do they really need to mention it two or three times?

Have you not thought you might be killing yourself? Please try to stop, or perhaps turn to a less harmful crutch.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, 2long said:

So is alcohol really to blame, and do they really need to mention it two or three times?

In the voice of Mr Mackey from South Park, 'alcohol is bad, mkay.' The people in charge feel the general population in this Buddhist nation need to be reminded of that every day for some reason. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, 2long said:

I have drunk alcohol for more than half the days of the past 30 years.... and never once killed anyone, or even tried to attack them with a knife. So is alcohol really to blame, and do they really need to mention it two or three times?

You are correct I started drinking alcohol when I was 15 now I am 74 never ever got in to a fight it is not the alcohol what caused it

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

A young lady being killed for 8,000 Baht (250 USD).
How low can Thailand go?

C’mon....  with a comment like that we know you’re not really Confucius...  ????

Murder... all over for the most seemingly minor of issues...  its a human thing not a Thai thing.

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Alcohol was once again cited as a contributing factor in a gruesome murder at a fishing facility in Chachoengsao in central Thailand.

When are people going to learn that alcohol is a dangerous drug that alters brain functioning. My guess is never, and the sad reality is that innocent victims will continue to be murdered by those who abuse it.

• Haha 2

Many Thais are taught to maintain a calm facade with a fake little smile. Showing emotion is regarded as a social failure.  However a dose of alcohol or a slap on the top of the head can destroy this facade completely and unleash the inner murderous animal........

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 2long said:

I don't get how one person is proof of anything.  This isn't even close to scientific. lolz

• Sad 1

On 2/4/2022 at 8:59 AM, 2long said:

But they didn't mention his mental issues, or that he had anger problems or something else... because there MUST be some other contributing factors, otherwise every married man when drunk would kill his wife, if alcohol is the only contributing factor.

A "cultural issue" is more of a contributing factor and it seems that it is culturally acceptable to go berserk if you can't maintain Jai Yen any longer. 

• Like 1