Does Kurusapa accept PGCE from The University Of Cumbria?

Emzz21

First things first, you are not going to get a 5 year teaching visa.

A Non B visa is required. That will have a validity of 90 days. You then need to extend your permission to stay prior to the 90 days expiry. The extension will be issued to the end of your contract, usually a year. You will also need to apply for a work permit.

If Khurusapa do accept your qualification you may be able to apply for a teaching licence. That will be valid for 5 years.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 2

Looks like a quick rundown is in order.

You can come to Thailand and teach with any Bachelor's degree. You'll need this to get the "waiver", a temporary teaching license, and what's usually a one year work permit. If you already have your PGCE, that could get you into better schools. But for the waiver, which you'll need first, they just want to see the Bachelor's. If it's related to education, science, or math, even better.

After a full 365 days of teaching at one school, you could then apply for the full 5 year teaching license. This requires a committee at the school to evaluate you. Be sure your school would be cooperative with this. If your Head of Department doesn't like speaking or even looking at you, heh, it'd be wise hopping to another school and applying there.

Most people teach in Thailand for 6 years, at three different schools using a waiver at each. Each waiver works for 2 years at one school. After this some are lucky to get more waivers, or they hit a brick wall and must get the full license to keep going. The big obstacle to the full license is a degree in education, as per the requirements in the photo. According to how it's spelled out right there, the PGCE should suit this.

I've been teaching in Thailand on many waivers now, and am finally going for the full license this year. I have an MA in Education which should work. Some have reported problems with the exact wording of the title of the degree. Haha. Who knows what will happen in Amazing Thailand™. My purpose for the full Thai license is showing it to my US state for their teaching license, for which I'm also studying for their tough exam.

I'd recommend this path to anyone, if you're not looking to live out the rest of your days in Thailand. Come here for the adventure. Rack up the experience. Beef up that CV. Score a good chick to bring back. Despite the higher cost of living and America's probs, there's no denying that $5k a month is better than $2k, and my Thai wife can make 700 baht an hour rather than in 2 days. Not to mention, finally getting more than 20% of a classroom engaged, given that other countries are able to fail them.

Oh yeah, don't forget to be "merciful towards" your students. ???? Cheers.

IMG_20220212_125400.jpg

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Looks like a quick rundown is in order.

You can come to Thailand and teach with any Bachelor's degree. You'll need this to get the "waiver", a temporary teaching license, and what's usually a one year work permit. If you already have your PGCE, that could get you into better schools. But for the waiver, which you'll need first, they just want to see the Bachelor's. If it's related to education, science, or math, even better.

After a full 365 days of teaching at one school, you could then apply for the full 5 year teaching license. This requires a committee at the school to evaluate you. Be sure your school would be cooperative with this. If your Head of Department doesn't like speaking or even looking at you, heh, it'd be wise hopping to another school and applying there.

Most people teach in Thailand for 6 years, at three different schools using a waiver at each. Each waiver works for 2 years at one school. After this some are lucky to get more waivers, or they hit a brick wall and must get the full license to keep going. The big obstacle to the full license is a degree in education, as per the requirements in the photo. According to how it's spelled out right there, the PGCE should suit this.

I've been teaching in Thailand on many waivers now, and am finally going for the full license this year. I have an MA in Education which should work. Some have reported problems with the exact wording of the title of the degree. Haha. Who knows what will happen in Amazing Thailand™. My purpose for the full Thai license is showing it to my US state for their teaching license, for which I'm also studying for their tough exam.

I'd recommend this path to anyone, if you're not looking to live out the rest of your days in Thailand. Come here for the adventure. Rack up the experience. Beef up that CV. Score a good chick to bring back. Despite the higher cost of living and America's probs, there's no denying that $5k a month is better than $2k, and my Thai wife can make 700 baht an hour rather than in 2 days. Not to mention, finally getting more than 20% of a classroom engaged, given that other countries are able to fail them.

Oh yeah, don't forget to be "merciful towards" your students. ???? Cheers.

IMG_20220212_125400.jpg

More a long run down than a quick rundown. You also failed to answer the OP's question. 555

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

More a long run down than a quick rundown. You also failed to answer the OP's question. 555

i have tried to find the list of "approved" schools including trying links I found searching through other posts (none of them worked)  . Maybe someone could possibly help out ?  Then possibly the OP could search for this school also.

3 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Having lived in Thailand long enough, one finds there's rarely a definite answer to specific questions e.g. "will this degree work?", "is this a good school?", "will immigration accept (whatever)?", "should I marry a lady from (background/occupation/location/etc.)?"

Things are always changing. If advice is too specific, it might work one day but not the next. A lot of it's just luck and fate, the right place and time. Hence why much of Thai culture is the way it is. I consider myself very fortunate to have wound up in my position, good school, wife, and her family. On several occasions I thought I'd be on a plane back home, as many have. Yet I'm still here. I suppose a greater power has willed it.

One just has to share and compare experiences, the more the better. Then based upon what finds/hears, or one's own gut feeling, just have a go at it. A visit to the temple, or praying to the god of your choice, couldn't hurt either. ????????

That's nice. Still doesn't answer the question.

Khurusapa have a definitive list of qualifications that will be accepted for a 5 year teaching licence. PFCEi from Nottingham, as an example. 

The OP asked about Durham. That is in UK. Your answer was about USA.

To the OP....I think a call to Khrusapa is in order. You posted a while ago now and it seems no one can help you here.

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

The OP asked about Durham. That is in UK. Your answer was about USA.

Nope. I gave a write up of the teaching license process in this country we live in, Thailand, as he initially seemed to believe he would get a "5 year teaching visa" here. I even posted such documents, the current Thai teaching license application.

I threw in the bit about USA at the end as those are my plans. The purpose of that was, to suggest using one's Thailand teaching experience for a more promising career, back in whatever their home country might be.

Your lovely answer as I recall, much less informative, was "to ask the right questions".

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme

21 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Nope. I gave a write up of the teaching license process in this country we live in, Thailand, as he initially seemed to believe he would get a "5 year teaching visa" here. I even posted such documents, the current Thai teaching license application.

I threw in the bit about USA at the end as those are my plans. The purpose of that was, to suggest using one's Thailand teaching experience for a more promising career, back in whatever their home country might be.

Your lovely answer as I recall, much less informative, was "to ask the right questions".

My answers were informative to his request.

I explained you cannot get a 5 year visa, also explaining the full process, and advising to call Khrusapa as no one here seemed to know the answer.

Two very goo pieces of advice.

Committee at school??? Maybe, possibly happened to you but certainly not a given.

3 different schools in 6 years? Not the people  know.

Any bachelor degree? No. It gas to be from a University on their list.

Edited by youreavinalaff

The was a link in the old Kurusapa page to a list of approved universities by country (except for the USA*).  I couldn't find it recently, but I don't read Thai very well, so it may still be there.  Get a friend who can read Thai fluently and they should be able to help you navigate to that page.

• 5 months later...

Can you get a five-year visa by taking simple courses rather than full training? It doesn't sound possible. Why do you want to do it at this particular college? I think you can choose the other. By the way, can you tell us more about your specialty? I was educated at diagnostic medical sonographer colleges, which still feed my family and me. So I'm surprised at how you hold on to teaching. I've always been interested in asking other people about their specialties and the specifics of their profession. So don't consider my question about your work rude or overly curious. I try to be polite and not too pushy. Thanks for understanding.

Edited by leonedibben