Going rate to change oil and filter in truck

watgate

5 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Sometimes different oils are offered, cheaper ones sometimes require more frequent changes, 5,000 km vs 10,000 km for a more expensive oil.  This might just be for older trucks.

newer diesel pickups go 15k between oil changes.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, adexco said:

now everybody uses synthetic ? even the cheap charlies who know nothing and are happy to die as stupid as they are born ?

1.  I don't know if everybody uses synthetic, my car is designed to use either.

2.  Try again, I don't understand that sentence..????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, transam said:

Indeed, basic mineral oil is usually 5kkm, syn 10/15kkm, depends on a particular ride's recommendations, though I do use syn in my runaround, that doesn't need it, and change it at 10+kkm, I think it is good insurance to lengthen the engines life.

How about semi-synthetic, I shall suppose your truck probably can run on it as well. Wouldn’t it be cheaper than full syn?

14 minutes ago, adexco said:

not using synthetic is also a good insure to lenghten engines life ! hahaha so ridiculous...

10000 with $hit oil and you consider yourself an expert ????

Reading not one of your strong points ?

2 minutes ago, alextrat1966 said:

How about semi-synthetic, I shall suppose your truck probably can run on it as well. Wouldn’t it be cheaper than full syn?

My truck used semi from factory, I used syn and semi over the 11.5 years I owned it....My fun ride used mineral from factory, but I used syn in it as it was slightly modified.........????

Photo-077.jpg.2e4fe6906a3fad8e958475f3458de988.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alextrat1966 said:

Why go cheap charlie on engine oil ?

A dead engine will cost a shed load more than the few extra sheckles for the top shelf oil.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

A dead engine will cost a shed load more than the few extra sheckles for the top shelf oil.

Well, if your engine is stock, and the manufacturer recommends using mineral oil, then semisynthetic is already a huge improvement, don't see the need to go fully synthetic, just a waste of money when you have 0 risk of damaging the engine.

2 minutes ago, alextrat1966 said:

Well, if your engine is stock, and the manufacturer recommends using mineral oil, then semisynthetic is already a huge improvement, don't see the need to go fully synthetic, just a waste of money when you have 0 risk of damaging the engine.

My engine is stock, I use what the manufacturer recommends.

Full Syth changed every 15000 km.

thanks for your concern.

Edited by Ralf001

48 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Depends on manufacturer & current recommendations.....

A synthetic oil used in a mineral oil application can cause leakage.....

A semi synth might not.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, alextrat1966 said:

I don't know any modern vehicle that recommends mineral oil. Do you? What are they?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, seedy said:

That question shows your knowledge of engines.

Which is ... lets say questionable

lol, that’s a blurry picture of an old engine. Using a carburetor, a system that by the time I was born had already been long replaced by injection. 

Yes, I don’t know much about classic cars. Hence why I asked, to hear some history. Not have a <removed> tell me I don’t know much about engines. 

15 hours ago, alextrat1966 said:

Semi syn is mineral oil with stuff added, yes, semi is cheaper than syn, but the costs we are talking about are minimal for the insurance it provides.

If your life is on a budget, then use whatever is the minimum manufacturers' recommendation.. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Depends on manufacturer & current recommendations.....

A synthetic oil used in a mineral oil application can cause leakage.....

A semi synth might not.....

True, my ol' Volvo V6 developed minor leaks forward and aft with syn, I had to dump it, put semi in with an oil seal 'repair' additive, was OK after that....

Not a good idea to use syn in a high mileage mineral oil application either...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, transam said:

True, my ol' Volvo V6 developed minor leaks forward and aft with syn, I had to dump it, put semi in with an oil seal 'repair' additive, was OK after that....

Not a good idea to use syn in a high mileage mineral oil application either...

That is so true …  just asking for oil leaks