AEC Freezes Thaksin's Assets, Proceeds From Shin Corp Sale

george

Thaksin and Pojaman's deposit accounts seized

The Assets Examination Committee (AEC) has officially announced to seize all deposit accounts of ex-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinnawatra and his wife, Khunying Pojaman Shinnawatra.

All deposit accounts in every financial institution of the ex-PM and his wife will be frozen in accordance with the 30th announcement of the Council for National Security (CNS).

The 30th CNS announcement determines that if AEC has sufficient evidence to prove that cases or persons charged with were of elements of corruption, the AEC has the power to seize assets of those involved people, their spouses, and their children whose age are not over 20 years.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 12 June 2007

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't think anyone expected that ALL of Thaksin's assets could be seized. After all, the main thing Pojaman has been doing for the past nine months is visiting banks and shifting assets out of the country.

But they may get enough to cover what the family "should" have paid originally in taxes.

Obviously to have maximum effect, these assets would have been frozen the day or day after of the coup. And the family members arrested and/or exiled. Perhaps a comparison of Pojaman in jail with Paris Hilton in jail could be made, although it would be a good guess as to who would have better housing conditions.

:D

kenk3z

If Thaksin had not entered Politics, he had sold Shin Corp, where would he stand now.................................!!!!!!!!!!

1. He would not have had so transfer funds to his kids,, there for no Ample Rich problems,

2. his wife would have likely bought the Rachadar land at the price she did anyway, who else in Thailand had enough money,

3. He could have yielded the 73 billion without tax justifiably because it is the rule for EVERYONE trading on the SET.......

4. Scanner deal........ I bet you Thaksin did not recieve a penny in this deal, I bet you the dirty underlings did....... buck stops at the top, but guys like Sondhi L. are all pissed off coz Thaksin gave them the cold shoulder because of corrupt deals affecting his government.

He would be sitting on all his money with no hassles......................

Thaksin is an idiot for trying to help this country anyway................ :o

Jaruvan, well if you now her personally(as I do), you will understand what sort of person she is..........(my opinion is not good)!

Thaksin and Pojaman's deposit accounts seized

The Assets Examination Committee (AEC) has officially announced to seize all deposit accounts of ex-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinnawatra and his wife, Khunying Pojaman Shinnawatra.

All deposit accounts in every financial institution of the ex-PM and his wife will be frozen in accordance with the 30th announcement of the Council for National Security (CNS).

The 30th CNS announcement determines that if AEC has sufficient evidence to prove that cases or persons charged with were of elements of corruption, the AEC has the power to seize assets of those involved people, their spouses, and their children whose age are not over 20 years.

This is criminal behaviour of Jaunta thieves!

The Nation's Web Blog Thus Far:

6.30 pm: This is supposed to be the second big blow to Thaksin Shinawatra after the dissolution of the Thai Rak Thai Party. Again the political scene of Thailand has come to a standstill and dramatic suspense following an announcement that the Assets Examination Committee was about to declare freezing parts of his assets.

The order requires the banks to freeze all the 21 bank accounts of Thaksin and Pojaman in which the Bt52.8 billion was deposited.

The second order will freeze remaining bank accounts of the Shinawatra couple.

7 pm: The second order of the Asset Examination Committee also offers for anybody who really owns any of the bank accounts believed to belong to Thaksin and Pojaman to come forward within 60 days and prove ownership.

If he or she can prove real ownership, then the Asset Examination Committee will order the banks to release the freezing of the bank accounts.

I haven't seen a trial to justify this action. Has anyone else?

This just means that no foreigner, or Thai, can have any trust in the banks now. Take your money out and get it out of the country. Who will they go after next?

:D:o:D:D:D:bah:

Totally agreed Mark, in my years here I have never seen action so pathetically based on greed, power and revenge. All these military a******le know one thing, the people hate them, the people DO NOT support their actions, they can see the counter corruption of CNS worse now than anything under Taksin, and if anyone remotely associated to Taksin in power at the next election, the military group of Sonthi and Saprang(CNS) are going to spend the rest of their days is some deep dark hole in Nakon Nowhere.

Can't wait for the next press release that will say:

After freezing all 21 accounts from thaksin we discovered that the total amount still in the accounts was 43 baht and 75 satang.The goverment has set up a commitee with five sub-commitee's to find out where the money has gone.

:o:D:D:D:D:bah::bah: 555555555555

Any news on why the money in Shin sale accounts is 20+ billions less than expected? The banks effectively froze them long time ago. Did he pay for something legally? Or did he squirelled 20 bil in small transactions that no one is watching?

like his money isn't far, far away !

they never get it, they better give the 500 million bath back they gave to army. (read, the 500 million bath the army paid themselves for kidnapping the country) what ? you didn't know that one ? happily ignored it ? sdtill pretending that isn't more blatant corruption then all Thaksin did ?

Hi, I never heard anything about this. Could you enlighten me?

Most Thai people I know (if not all) are getting more frustrated about this situation as the day goes on.

They all know that the Thai system is corrupt (and what country isn't to a certain extent). Lets face it to get to the top

costs a lot of money unless you are the puppet of a powerful clique and you are providing certain qualities while they provide money.

So when the top is reached, money has to be made and paid back to those whose favours you used.

Like it or not that's the way it works.

The reason he was a good leader was that he had enough money not be afraid of stepping on a lot of toes and for that reason he put many peoples noses out of joint.

Now its pay back time for those people.

Whether you like him as a leader or not, you have a clique of people who have taken power by force and are making up the rules as they go along. They have also sent out a strong message, that anyone who takes democratically elected leadership better not cross their paths in the future, if they do, look what might happen.

What kind of leader will that be; one that is constantly watching his back and is "reporting" into HQ every week.

I would imagine for the Democrats to escape the dissolvement ruling there is some sort of tacit agreement along these lines. They have agreed to not rock the boat.

For a lot of people they see this as the rise of the old guard, getting into power to justify their own existence.

The rural Thais feel marginalised and the more educated Thais are being made to feel stupid in the eyes of the world. Whether people are out in the streets to protest or not , many are not happy about the situation.

Any news on why the money in Shin sale accounts is 20+ billions less than expected? The banks effectively froze them long time ago. Did he pay for something legally? Or did he squirelled 20 bil in small transactions that no one is watching?

Maybe, just Maybe......

do you recall that just about an hour or so before the coup, the Mrs. flew out of Thailand with , Ithink it was 114 suitcases of...... ??????? ...... on two planes....

:o

How can a govt freeze assets outside the country? this sounds pretty dodgy to me.

Propagander at its finest.

It will indeed be very difficult for the AEC to try and freeze Offshore bank accounts. It's a long process.

Apart from that: tax fraud and/or corruption allegations are not exactly on the list of those Offshore Banks in order to cooperate with requests to freeze his accounts...(hard) drugs are.

LaoPo

Its is possible to freeze accounts but what is difficult to find where people put money ie offshore accounts in offshore company names no need to list directors.

So Mr & Mrs Thaksin are fine thank you very much.

This is just propaganda at its finest Why dont they just start and try to put the country together again and stop this from happening again.

Anyway I still say it is WRONG WRONG WRONG to disolve a political party in a democratic society because some of it's leaders are corrupt - the only valid reason for banning a political party in my view is that they stand for something unacceptable to the world community - such as racism, geonocide and going against demorcracy - its fine to ban the guilty people from entering politics or even holding office (providing they are proven guilty) but disenfranchising millions of voters by removing heir party has to be wrong. Still by my reasaoning the military junta could ban themselves as what they did, and are still doing, is undemocratic.

I understand what they did, in a way, but they should have simply, ousted the government, disclosed the truth to everyone and then returned the country to the ballot box within a few months - there would have been no better way to undermine the Thai Rak Thai party than to see them suffer a humiliating defeat at the ballot box. As it is now, come the election, whenever one takes place, they can play the martyr. It is also totally undemocratic for an unelected body to be drafting a constitution - you may as well give that power back to the monarch!

Bush/Blair (and their corporate friends)

racism: check

genocide: check

anti-democratic measures: check

I agree, but it won't happen. Everyone is either working to buy that 2nd SUV or working 2 jobs to buy one or entertaining their kids or themselves after a hard day (or not so) at work. That's democracy folks!

PS: Nixon, Reagan, Bush Senior,... (to name just a few)

NEWS FLASH: Where there is money, there is usually corruption!

Edited by MyPenRye

Maybe he did get them in debt but he is the only one who showed any interest. For this, they will still cheer him and never give up the hope that he will come back some day. There's a lot of very unhappy Thai's out there today and I don't think the battle is over yet.

He showed interest in them because his strategy was a populist platform. There is a debate to be had as to whether they were actually any better off as a result of his policies but he certainly was. I had a girlfriend who told me he would be good for Thailand as he was rich already so he wouldn't just be interested in money like his predecessors. 5555555. He left office a lot richer than he started.

Don't laugh at your gf. It shows logical thinking on her part.

Maybe he did get them in debt but he is the only one who showed any interest. For this, they will still cheer him and never give up the hope that he will come back some day. There's a lot of very unhappy Thai's out there today and I don't think the battle is over yet.

He showed interest in them because his strategy was a populist platform. There is a debate to be had as to whether they were actually any better off as a result of his policies but he certainly was. I had a girlfriend who told me he would be good for Thailand as he was rich already so he wouldn't just be interested in money like his predecessors. 5555555. He left office a lot richer than he started.

He certainly is/was a lot richer when he left office and I'm not disputing what you are saying. What I am saying is, try telling the Thai's that.They either wouldn't believe you, or, they just don't want to know!

The truth is they don't care. They say every pm does it.

...The rural Thais feel marginalised...

Excellent post. All that you said fits the facts. And rural Thais feel more than marginalised. They have been given a clear message that they are too ignorant to vote, and are not worth spending money on; that Big Brother will take care of himself and his Bangkok cronies, and bahn-nok can go scratch its armpit.

THAT is the REAL ISSUE - but the military bully-boys, who have secured 100% media control by force, have an effective propaganda machine that diverts attention from it by pumping out the daily quota of anti-Thaksin poison.

Edited by redewenur

How can a govt freeze assets outside the country? this sounds pretty dodgy to me.

It will indeed be very difficult for the AEC to try and freeze Offshore bank accounts. It's a long process.

Apart from that: tax fraud and/or corruption allegations are not exactly on the list of those Offshore Banks in order to cooperate with requests to freeze his accounts...(hard) drugs are.

LaoPo

So he probably has enough loose cash to buy Man City then, we can relax!

LaoPo

So he probably has enough loose cash to buy Man City then, we can relax!

I've never had a team to support in the Premiership, best mates from Norwich but they didn't hang around long enough for me to remember any of the players names, Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool characterless!!! I hope Taksin does get Man C, I'll have a team to support then 555555555.

Frozen assets of Dr. Thaksin caused dissatisfaction at PTV rally

The People's Television (PTV) rally at Sanam Luang was more discontented with the Assets Examination Committee's (AEC) announcement to freeze the assets of deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife, Khunying Potjaman.

Following the announcement yesterday (Jun 11), the demonstration in Sanam Luang intensified. Former Thai Rak Thai member and PTV core member Jakrapob Penkair said Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont’s address on national television yesterday was clearly opposite to the reconciliation approach.

Mr. Jakrapob viewed that the Council for National Security (CNS) and the interim government told the AEC to issue the order to freeze the former premier’s assets. He said such action would provoke movements from the Khon Rak Thaksin (People Love Thaksin) group.

And now ladies and gentlemen, watch as this ill-educated, muslim, fundamentalist military dictatorship pulls the Thai economy apart - nut by nut, bolt by bolt.

Virgil, Out!

LOL ... you seem to have even less knowledge of politics than you do Islam !

a very sad state of affairs!

Finally - the second step to vindication for my six year anti Taksin stance.

Soundman.

You think your business sales will improve now ? Prepare for delusion....

That really depends on whether you take a short or long term view on the whole situation...

Soundman.

And rural Thais feel more than marginalised. They have been given a clear message that they are too ignorant to vote, and are not worth spending money on; that Big Brother will take care of himself and his Bangkok cronies, and bahn-nok can go scratch its armpit.

This message comes from TRT, not the Bangkokians or "elite" themselves. If you care to read Prime Minister's actual message there's absolutely nothing of the sort.

Strawman argument on the grand scale - put the words in the mouth of you opponent and them defeat them.

PMs advisor says no violence should occur after AEC freezes assets of Dr. Thaksin

The Prime Minister’s security advisor, Gen. Wattanachai Chaimuenwong, believes violence should not erupt following the Assets Examination Committee (AEC) has ordered for the assets and accounts of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his family to be frozen.

Gen. Wattanachai says the AEC is performing its duty in accordance with accurate evidence. He says the seizure of the Shinawatra family’s assets and accounts should not stir up violence, and if violence occurs, the Council for National Security (CNS) would be able to control the situation.

City seek Thaksin answers

LONDON - Manchester City are seeking clarification of would-be buyer Thaksin Shinawatra's financial status after Thailand's anti-graft panel said it would freeze 1.5 billion dollars worth of assets held by the former premier and his family.

The move has cast doubt on whether Thaksin will be able to proceed with his planned buyout of the English Premiership club.

In a statement, City confirmed that they were uncertain as to the implications of Monday's development.

Source: The Nation - 12 June 2007