Web-based Businesses ......a Lot Of Misguided Souls.

I have witnessing a new trend here in Bangkok especially by single Farang Guys who are nearly going broke. They suddenly come up with ideas or are advised by others to go into a web-based business and they then invest huge amounts of money or even borrow money from friends...amounts like Bt 30k to 120K to get somebody to do their websites,etc and then after a month or two, they desperately start seeking help as are broke or the money is not coming in.

Examples are: Online Travel Agencies, Online Dating, Online Trading especailly Thai products, etc

Please before spending you last dimes on a web-based project...do your market reseach properly and also understand that just a web-ste and also links with search engines are not enough. There is lots of competition these days days and also you need offline mainstream marketing, PR and promotional strategies to make your sites work along with unique Unique Selling Points,Products,etc.

Please don't go bust embarking on something you know little about.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have witnessing a new trend here in Bangkok especially by single Farang Guys who are nearly going broke. They suddenly come up with ideas or are advised by others to go into a web-based business and they then invest huge amounts of money or even borrow money from friends...amounts like Bt 30k to 120K to get somebody to do their websites,etc and then after a month or two, they desperately start seeking help as are broke or the money is not coming in.

Examples are: Online Travel Agencies, Online Dating, Online Trading especailly Thai products, etc

Please before spending you last dimes on a web-based project...do your market reseach properly and also understand that just a web-ste and also links with search engines are not enough. There is lots of competition these days days and also you need offline mainstream marketing, PR and promotional strategies to make your sites work along with unique Unique Selling Points,Products,etc.

Please don't go bust embarking on something you know little about.

this is hardly unique to the web... :o

I think the thing to note is a lot of young people view the web in an entirely different way than those who did not grow up with it.

Also just because someone's first attempt, or tenth attempt doesn't make them a millionaire, does not mean their next attempt will not. There are lessons to learn and the internet business model can be a pretty low cost means of doing that. (unless of course you spend a lot of money on an 'Expert' who promises to guide you through the traps and in fact does no such thing).

I run a small internet business a self funding hobby. I look at it as fun, a means to pay for my holidays and importantly somewhere to learn new skills.

My plea to anyone wanting to start an internet business would be 'Please do have a go, but please don't spend money on 'experts' go out and learn for yourself'. Start small and build up as you go'.

Richard Branson started his business life selling records outside a public phonebox in Reading, using the public phone to run his business.

It's not about how you start, but how good is your idea, how hard you want to work and a large dollop of luck.

Guesthouse is right. If you look at many wildly successful people, more often than not you will find a string of failures preceded their success. What distinguishes them from those who never succeed is the willingness to have a go, and to get up and get back on the horse after it throws you. That separates the men from the boys so to speak.

BTW, 30K to 120K is not a 'huge' amount of money to invest in starting any business, unless you are in Bangladesh, Burma, etc. Having said that, someone starting a web-based business would be much better off teaching themselves the basics of HTML, CSS etc. and doing their own pages rather than paying someone else to do that for them.

The Internet is in its infancy. Just think of all the billions to be made over the next ten years. Why shouldn't someone try for a piece of the pie? All that's needed is an idea and some work. Start small and grow as necessary. Isn't that how they all start? One or two people with an idea and some time on their hands.

I'm nowhere near broke, but if I was, that's what I'd try. An Internet business of some sort. Some people make thousands every month. Why not me?

J

The Internet is in its infancy. Just think of all the billions to be made over the next ten years. Why shouldn't someone try for a piece of the pie? All that's needed is an idea and some work. Start small and grow as necessary. Isn't that how they all start? One or two people with an idea and some time on their hands.

I'm nowhere near broke, but if I was, that's what I'd try. An Internet business of some sort. Some people make thousands every month. Why not me?

J

But if you look at all the major success stories with internet businesses they all have something in common, what they came up with was unique at the time.

So many people think that signing up with affiliate schemes, offering the same same product as everyone else (they have a website so they must be doing ok right?) and sitting back to wait is all you need to do.

An internet business is no different from any other kind of business, you need to find a niche and have the skills and expertise to make it a success.

You are also buying yourself into one of the hardest forms of business from a growth viewpoint. You will have very few if any tangible assets to use for securing capital for investment. When your company hits that particular wall that almost every micro company has to climb over when you go from a 1 man band to an SME with employees and much more in the way of overheads then you will be left with almost zero ability to borrow.

It's not all fun and frolics I'm afraid, it can be a long an lonely road to breaking even before you ever see a penny profit.

You are also buying yourself into one of the hardest forms of business from a growth viewpoint. You will have very few if any tangible assets to use for securing capital for investment. When your company hits that particular wall that almost every micro company has to climb over when you go from a 1 man band to an SME with employees and much more in the way of overheads then you will be left with almost zero ability to borrow.

Boy oh boy how true that is!

Fortunately i had a bookkeeper with some money, and because he was seeing progress he took the (calculated) gamble. That was 3 years ago. Without that support it would have been a lot harder. It might have been the end because when you can not grow fast enough others might take over your position. Having loyal customers was also very important.

All of this is not done in a few months. More like years! Not everyone has an idea as youtube and a buyer like google.

But it is still possible. Never give up!

For me the 'self generating content' is the most important, if you don't have that it will be hard work all the time to keep your site interesting.

There are also alot of us making tons and tons of money for doing almost zero work. And believe it or not an internet travel agency is one of the better websites to run for a beginner because it requires zero maintainance, just promotion. Nothing like 50,000 baht a month for sitting on your a** :o

Anybody can make money on the internet. And since Thailand is so strict about farang working, the internet is one of the only things we can really turn to for business. There is so much opportunity out there, you just need to find what works for you.

All of this is not done in a few months. More like years! Not everyone has an idea as youtube and a buyer like google.

But it is still possible. Never give up!

I think those youtube guys went from concept to multi-multi millions in less than a year! I wish I thought of that.

I am not saying that web-based businesses are bad or that one should not be embarking on it and yes, I do agree that even with failures, we should learn from it and still keep on going but the problem is that these guys that i have come across.....to be exact about 8 over the last two months...came to me for help and advice they have gone totally busted and are not even able to afford anything to revive/salvage /modify/improve on whatever that they have being doing plus they never did a proper study of the project or how to market it,etc....it is interesting if you were to note a report about web-based businesses that appeared in the second week of January in the Post Database this year, only one out of every 800 odd web-base business ever succeed.Its just that I am merely advising everyone out there especially those with little funds, before they embark on a project...do their homework first.

Cheers Everyone

I am not saying that web-based businesses are bad or that one should not be embarking on it and yes, I do agree that even with failures, we should learn from it and still keep on going but the problem is that these guys that i have come across.....to be exact about 8 over the last two months...came to me for help and advice they have gone totally busted and are not even able to afford anything to revive/salvage /modify/improve on whatever that they have being doing plus they never did a proper study of the project or how to market it,etc....it is interesting if you were to note a report about web-based businesses that appeared in the second week of January in the Post Database this year, only one out of every 800 odd web-base business ever succeed.Its just that I am merely advising everyone out there especially those with little funds, before they embark on a project...do their homework first.

Cheers Everyone

8 over the last 2 months, Interesting !

Any of these travel or real estate related ? If so PM me the domain names and I might buy them !

Im always trying to buy 2nd hand websites but just cant seem to find them. Actually, you dont happen to know how I can find this list of 800 that went bust do you ? :o

This site, according to several posts, makes 600 K baht a month.

Not bad, just about 30% of what 1 expat makes in Thai, with their skills and no web.

Hi 'think_too_mut'.

Can you please explain what you mean here ?

600 kbahts / 0.30 = 2.000.000 bahts, about 50.000 $US or 40.000 € a month !

Expats that I know are very happy if they earn a tenth of that !

Pattaya46

My primary business is creating online stores (in the lower price range)

I'd say about 1 in 10 people who start a store actually make any money.

Most people that i work with simply read some story about how they can get rich quick "drop shipping" (basically they sell products from 1 "wholesaler", and this wholesaler then ships the orders out to the customers). Kind of a glorified sales rep.

However they don't seem to stop to think about "Why would people buy this from me". The same products can be found cheaper elsewhere, they don't bother to advertise the site, they barely have the technical skills to check their emails...

But then again i have worked with some sellers who go on to sell 1000s of $$ per day. But these are the people who actually have a plan.

Not bad, just about 30% of what 1 expat makes in Thai, with their skills and no web.

Get your calculator repaired, pronto!

It was meant to be:

Not bad, just about 30% more than what 1 expat makes in Thai, with their skills and no web

It was meant to be:

Not bad, just about 30% more than what 1 expat makes in Thai, with their skills and no web

You're saying the average expat makes 420,000 baht per month in Thailand?

It was meant to be:

You're saying the average expat makes 420,000 baht per month in Thailand?

Average expat with multinational company.

Some of them make more. Just look: 10,000US$ per month in their pocket, 100K baht housing allowance, then intntl school for kids, maid, a car with a driver....there are some like that on this board.

Any business takes a lot of hard work and the Internet is no exception.

You only get out of something what you put.

There is no such thing as a get rich quick scheme.

Research the product or company

Learn as much as you can about running your online business read everything you can get your hands on.

Find out what tools you need to make it work

Look at your Budget

Will you be sending mailouts.

Will you need to buy mailing lists

How will you market your business etc etc the list goes on

The experienced boys on here will tell you that

What would be good here is anybody can suggest a decent webdesigner who will not only produce a quality job but have it online when agreed.

Sick of dealing with w.......s. who havent got a clue but think they have.

Good Luck whatever you do and for having the balls for trying

Sheppy

Any business takes a lot of hard work and the Internet is no exception.

You only get out of something what you put.

There is no such thing as a get rich quick scheme.

Research the product or company

Learn as much as you can about running your online business read everything you can get your hands on.

Find out what tools you need to make it work

Look at your Budget

Will you be sending mailouts.

Will you need to buy mailing lists

How will you market your business etc etc the list goes on

The experienced boys on here will tell you that

What would be good here is anybody can suggest a decent webdesigner who will not only produce a quality job but Iave it online when agreed.

Sick of dealing with w.......s. who havent got a clue but think they have.

Good Luck whatever you do and for having the balls for trying

Sheppy

Apple computers have never ever done any market research.

They have never asked the public what they want.

Apple simply made great and desirable products, made hundred of billions of dollars while leaving others to <deleted> with market research.

Indeed, did anyone do any market research to find out that people need an another remake of a movie like Titanic or a car like a PT Cruiser? Would any market research on this planet 7 years ago show that people need an iPod? There were hundreds of MP players by then.

Those who knew their bit just made great products and it paid off.

Apple computers have been for eons contarcting a company based in france called : Carlin International to assist them with trendspotting, market reaserch,computer trends and behaviour and product design including the Ipod that was actually designed by Carlin International.

As far as the hollywood movies industry is concerned, you will be surprised that at the at the stages where a script or sreenplay is being selected, again a trenspotting firm or market research firm is brought in to assess audiences wants and appeal. In fact a lot of the big companies like Sony Pictures, Dreamworks, Miramax, etc have their own inhouse market research/trendspotting departments.

Check out internet websites about trendspotting and you will be surprised how many companies are using them including companies like coke, pepsi, etc.

Collating raw market data, analysing it and putting it to good use is a big bucks business these days and you will be surprised to see how big it companies are also using it such as Google, Adobe, Microsoft, My Space, You Tube, etc

Jonathan Ive was an British Industrial designer working for Apple who was heading the design team for the ipod along with Paul Mercer, a French Technical Engineering Designer but the extrenal firm that was contracted to come out with the actual initial recommendations for product design was Carlin International Co ltd, A french firm that is also contracted to numerous design houses,MNCs, etc.

Apple computers have been for eons contarcting a company based in france called : Carlin International to assist them with trendspotting, market reaserch,computer trends and behaviour and product design including the Ipod that was actually designed by Carlin International.

As far as the hollywood movies industry is concerned, you will be surprised that at the at the stages where a script or sreenplay is being selected, again a trenspotting firm or market research firm is brought in to assess audiences wants and appeal. In fact a lot of the big companies like Sony Pictures, Dreamworks, Miramax, etc have their own inhouse market research/trendspotting departments.

Check out internet websites about trendspotting and you will be surprised how many companies are using them including companies like coke, pepsi, etc.

Collating raw market data, analysing it and putting it to good use is a big bucks business these days and you will be surprised to see how big it companies are also using it such as Google, Adobe, Microsoft, My Space, You Tube, etc

I would not care who is cleaning my office's toilets while I am working on my idea.

Those minors have never claimed nor they possibly could, any part of success of Apple's iPod and other products.

For the record: I am sad that my company has not invented the iPod.

Jonathan Ive was an British Industrial designer working for Apple who was heading the design team for the ipod along with Paul Mercer, a French Technical Engineering Designer but the extrenal firm that was contracted to come out with the actual initial recommendations for product design was Carlin International Co ltd, A french firm that is also contracted to numerous design houses,MNCs, etc.

Sorry to be boring here, but Jonathan Ive {now Apple's Director of Design} designed the iPod hardware, the software UI was developed within Apple and then Pixo, a company founded by Paul Mercer, who had, ironically, worked for Apple before setting up the company, were called in to complete the interface {within 2 months} which was running in to problems, {allegedly}. Pixo was subsequently sold to Sun, with Mercer now working with Palm through his present company Iventor, which was also responsible for the recent Samsung UI's. I didn't know that Mercer was French, no accent, he sound's very SoCal, not that it is the least relevant.

As to CI's involvement, perhaps there's a reference to it, that you could share.

Regards

The majority of people attempting to make money selling products will fail.

There is greater probability of success selling a service online. The catch? You have to have the skill in the first place to provide whatever service it is that you are selling.

If you dont have skills, the internet will be as unsympathetic as brick and mortar businesses.

Lol! I have came across a lot of crazy people with lots of crazy web-based businesses who think that they can easily become rich. That wave has passed as it was the pioneers in the beginning stages that came up with the right ideas when the internet was still at its infancy.

These days the competition is so huge. Just check the number of online travel agencies catering to the Thai market. You do not only need to have a good site but the cheapest deal and the best service which takes time to develop along with credibility.

Know your product first and also your market and get a good SEO(Search Engine Optimiser) but you also have to invest in offline and conventional marketing and promotions to get people to trust and use you,and that costs a lot of money.

Anyway wish all you new web entrepeneurs luck...hate to see anyone fail or lose money.