Joining two chanote

We have been going through the process of joining two adjacent plots.

I try to keep out of it, as my wife has purchased the land and has been doing OK on her own. However am a little confused.

During the survey the owner of the next plot came to witness the proceedings, according to my wife, the surveyor said that if he had some blue pipe, thentge neighbour could drive them into the ground.
He hasn’t and I’m guessing the procedure isn’t so difficult as the boundary could be from one concrete boundary on one side to the corner of the plot on the other side of us. We may lose a couple of cm of land as on of the plots was an irregular shape. 

The question is, we visited the land office today to hand over the two existing deeds and need to return on 2nd March to pickup the final combined paper. 

Will the land office come to install a concrete post on one or both sides? We have already back filled both the plots and we removed one in the center of the whole plot.

I don’t see an issue with the decision of the land offices surveying but I would like to build a wall setback from the neighboring land, also I don’t need a neighbour accusing me of encroaching on his land.  

What’s the procedure? 

28 minutes ago, recom273 said:

...and we removed one in the center of the whole plot.

No, you probably misremembered that. Moving or removing a mapping stake or a boundary marker is punishable by a fine of 2,000 baht, 3 months imprisonment or both.

Just fill over it. No need to remove it.

39 minutes ago, digbeth said:

the land office's concrete post is the boundary, they won't use two on each side for you and your neighbor's, since the post defines the boundary, you'd be safe to build up to the post,

I understand, this is what I was going to do anyway.

The surveyor instructing the neighbour to plant a blue pipe was confusing and talk that we would lose a small triangle of land added confusion (the line of the two plots aren’t aligned) This wouldn’t trouble me as I would only build a straight wall.

I’m sure there is only one corner boundary stake, but will check tomorrow.

25 minutes ago, blackcab said:

No, you probably misremembered that. Moving or removing a mapping stake or a boundary marker is punishable by a fine of 2,000 baht, 3 months imprisonment or both.

Just fill over it. No need to remove it.

I presumed it had been moved, the guys who did the clearance and back filling must have done something. The place where it should be is now, the center of both plots is under the ground, not on a corner. But still, if you say it’s there, it’s there somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

Why the hell are you going to trouble to join two chanotes.  Better to just keep them as they are.  If sometime in the future you want to sell one of the lots or pass it on to your kid...etc...you are good to go.

How is that better? In a land of uncertainty- if you had plans to build a house straddling a boundary line, wouldn’t it make perfect sense to officially join the two plots? 6k .. an hour at the land office and your good to go.

21 minutes ago, recom273 said:

How is that better? In a land of uncertainty- if you had plans to build a house straddling a boundary line, wouldn’t it make perfect sense to officially join the two plots? 6k .. an hour at the land office and your good to go.

The house I live in is built over two equally sized plots. The same owner owns both plots and the house on top. They could have joined the plots together but they never bothered.

14 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Why the hell are you going to trouble to join two chanotes.  Better to just keep them as they are.  If sometime in the future you want to sell one of the lots or pass it on to your kid...etc...you are good to go.

I agree why go to all that trouble ? it makes no sense to me at all, a couple of posts in the ground on the boarders are no problem, build your wall up to them. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/15/2022 at 9:50 AM, Adumbration said:

The OP should also take care to note that joining the two chanotes will decrease the value of his land holdings.

Sorry for the delay, how do you come to this idea?

The second piece of land is only 4M wide at the road, its not even one hong - its pretty much worthless to anyone without the adjacent land (however, someone could use the land as a pig farm or build a bamboo karoke) and we didn't pay a great deal for it in the first, now we have a clear and backfilled square-ish plot of land, people are coming forward asking if we would accept over 1M, which is a nice little profit should we want to sell. I gather that regular shaped plots are more sought after, no idea if that's true or not. 

When we got the completed chanote back, instead of a having to build dogleg wall that would have had to be built around the neighbors land - the surveyor has drawn the line from the extreme boundary posts, we have lost and gained a little triangle of land, not a great win but aesthetically better.