next virus could be far worse

3NUMBAS

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/next-covid-strain-could-kill-191036235.htm

Demands grow for government science chiefs to reveal evidence backing move to lift last protective measures

A future variant of Covid-19 could be much more dangerous and cause far higher numbers of deaths and cases of serious illness than Omicron, leading UK scientists have warned.

As a result, many of them say that caution needs to be taken in lifting the last Covid restrictions in England, as Boris Johnson plans to do next week.

*Edited for Fair Use*

Edited by Scott
Edited for Fair Use
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

A future variant of Covid-19 could be much more dangerous and cause far higher numbers of deaths and cases of serious illness than Omicron, leading UK scientists have warned.

Of course.... the antigenic drift of the virus is unpredictable.

‘Could’ means a lot of things...  the next variant ‘could’ be worse than Omicron or Delta, or may not. 

Thats what the Anti-vaxxers seem to miss when they argue that this virus is not as deadly as initially thought or that Omicron is a relatively harmless variant. 

We’ve just vaccinated our child, not because we have concerns about the existing variants, but because we don’t know which variants are around the corner.

We can ‘hope’ that the virus reaches an equilibrium whereby it spreads freely, but is relatively harmless. It seems to fit a certain logic that the more dangerous it is the less transmissive it is, but thats trying to apply logic to something random. 

All we can do is take vaccines and do our part to minimise potential transmission while getting on with our lives. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF you are so sick and tired of discussions regarding Covid-19, why on earth would you open a thread about it ???....  isn’t it just easier to simply move on to the next subject you are not ‘fed up’ with ??

Please note

1)i did not open thread ,i accept your apology

2) i am fully vaccinated not a covid deny er 

BUT i refuse to terrorized by stupid inane theories we could all be killed by a bus tomorrow

ENOUGH!

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, poohy said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF you are so sick and tired of discussions regarding Covid-19, why on earth would you open a thread about it ???....  isn’t it just easier to simply move on to the next subject you are not ‘fed up’ with ??

Please note

1)i did not open thread ,i accept your apology

2) i am fully vaccinated not a covid deny er 

BUT i refuse to terrorized by stupid inane theories we could all be killed by a bus tomorrow

ENOUGH!

Please note:

1) You clicked on the thread and opened it up - you weren’t forced to read it. 

2) I haven’t accused you of denying covid (you have somehow made that assumption). 

I also refuse to be terrorised by anything which is not sufficiently dangerous to cause rational fear. 

The potential for SARS-CoV-2 to evolve into another variant through anti-genic drift is scientific fact - it is not a ’stupid inane theory’....  the unknown is whether or not future variants are more dangerous, less dangerous, or the similar. 

And no... we could not ‘all’ be killed by a bus tomorrow, there are not enough busses !!! - there, a dumb response to a dumb strawman argument comparing busses to a virus !!! 

7 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:
7 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I prefer to characterize it as prudent concern as opposed to, perhaps, negligent disregard. Everyone should get vaccinated and continue to wear masks in public.

..and lock himself in forever.

Yes, I know your permanently repeated credo of hysteria.

Exaggerate much ????....   he mentioned ‘get vaccinated and continue to wear masks in public’.... You have gaslighted in a false narrative... no one mentioned locking themselves in forever except you !

No hysteria has been portrayed...  just a health understanding that there is a possibility of further variants, some of which could be more serious which is why vaccination remains important.

Now...  according to wiki... Hysteria is a pejorative term used colloquially to mean ungovernable emotional excess...  it could be argued that your ungovernable emotional excess ignores science in favour of the emotional comforting idea that ’this covid nonsense is all over’...   

While we all ‘hope’ this is the end of Covid-19, It is not ‘hysteria’ to understand that this may not be the end, it simply being realistic.

For weeks I've been wondering where Chris Whitty and Patrick Vallance are. JVT has left the fold too ! After all, when we were 'following the science', (wink), we saw so much of them, they seemed like part of the Family ! And Sage have gone quiet too. I honestly wondered if they had now been 'gagged', due to the onset of BJ's crisis . . . .

Some really interesting points in that article : " . . . . . caution needs to be taken in lifting the last Covid restrictions in England . . . . . demands are growing for Chris Whitty and Patrick Vallance, the government’s most senior advisers on Covid, to hold a press conference to reveal what evidence there was to back the decision to end all pandemic restrictions . . . .

. . . . Prof Mark Woolhouse, of Edinburgh University - "The Omicron variant did not come from the Delta variant. It came from a completely different part of the virus’s family tree. And since we don’t know where in the virus’s family tree a new variant is going to come from, we cannot know how pathogenic it might be. It could be less pathogenic but it could, just as easily, be more pathogenic."

There are grounds for concern - does the Govt. 'think it's all over' ?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Exaggerate much ????....   he mentioned ‘get vaccinated and continue to wear masks in public’.... You have gaslighted in a false narrative... no one mentioned locking themselves in forever except you !

No hysteria has been portrayed...  just a health understanding that there is a possibility of further variants, some of which could be more serious which is why vaccination remains important.

Now...  according to wiki... Hysteria is a pejorative term used colloquially to mean ungovernable emotional excess...  it could be argued that your ungovernable emotional excess ignores science in favour of the emotional comforting idea that ’this covid nonsense is all over’...   

While we all ‘hope’ this is the end of Covid-19, It is not ‘hysteria’ to understand that this may not be the end, it simply being realistic.

Really? Go back and read my post more carefully.

Here is the link https://aseannow.com/topic/1250163-next-virous-could-be-far-worse/?do=findComment&comment=17185270

edit: I think you are replying to the wrong post.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Really? Go back and read my post more carefully.

Here is the link https://aseannow.com/topic/1250163-next-virous-could-be-far-worse/?do=findComment&comment=17185270

edit: I think you are replying to the wrong post.

Me thinks you let your foot slip off the clutch too suddenly there. Ozi...

Please learn how the quotes work....  You’ll find I was particularly supportive of you.

402375647_Screenshot2022-02-13at16_05_18.png.5409a36ba3a997f787ec6fdc4d86657b.png

• Thanks 1

With Omicron being so infectious I'd hate to see how infectious another strain would be for it to become dominant.

I see in the UK they have found a few cases of a new Deltacron, no this is not the one detected some time ago, this is a unique one to the UK, however there seems to be no concerns or anything to worry about yet.

'Deltacron' Covid variant merging Omicron and Delta now being monitored by health chiefs

The new variant - labelled Deltacron - has been identified in a UK patient and was named by the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) in its weekly "variants in monitoring" list.

The new variant is believed to have evolved in a patient who caught both the Omicron and Delta variants at the same time.

The exact number of Deltacron cases is unknown, although scientists at this stage reportedly believe case numbers are 'low'.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/deltacron-covid-variant-merging-omicron-26212049

2 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

For weeks I've been wondering where Chris Whitty and Patrick Vallance are. JVT has left the fold too ! After all, when we were 'following the science', (wink), we saw so much of them, they seemed like part of the Family ! And Sage have gone quiet too. I honestly wondered if they had now been 'gagged', due to the onset of BJ's crisis . . . .

Some really interesting points in that article : " . . . . . caution needs to be taken in lifting the last Covid restrictions in England . . . . . demands are growing for Chris Whitty and Patrick Vallance, the government’s most senior advisers on Covid, to hold a press conference to reveal what evidence there was to back the decision to end all pandemic restrictions . . . .

. . . . Prof Mark Woolhouse, of Edinburgh University - "The Omicron variant did not come from the Delta variant. It came from a completely different part of the virus’s family tree. And since we don’t know where in the virus’s family tree a new variant is going to come from, we cannot know how pathogenic it might be. It could be less pathogenic but it could, just as easily, be more pathogenic."

There is as much grounds for considering that an entirely  different virus with lethal potential could surface . In terms of historical fact that has and  continues to be a factor . That there is a capacity to identify and negate to various degrees  the impact  should not render  humanity subject to arbitrary  restrictions  that as has this current  viral agent  which have  been proven less effective than the resulting corresponding  lucrative profiteering and enhancement of  authoritarian dictate.

At what point does humanity cease subserviance ?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Denim said:

It's news like this that can really make it difficult to plan a long return trip home. Today things look better than they have for a long time but once you are on the other side of the planet .........could be expensive getting back again.

Decisions decisions

Same here. Not scared of the virus as such, but travelling, visas, and future planning got way more complicated with the virus. I originally thought it would be 'over' after two years or so, but here we go, Year 3, and there's no end in sight... 

• Like 2

Op is just stupid story.

Anything could be much worse.

Could be a worse covid virus, or could not be.

Could be a different virus...could be a bacteria.....

Could be worse if aliens invades Earth.

Also could be better. Could be a covid virus that cures cancer or extends life..  

Ask what is the OP agenda. 

Edited by jak2002003
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Same here. Not scared of the virus as such, but travelling, visas, and future planning got way more complicated with the virus. I originally thought it would be 'over' after two years or so, but here we go, Year 3, and there's no end in sight... 

Not slightly bothered about virus (that's what injections are for)and  agree it is a complete pain to travel its annihilated normal travel

Personally Off to UK next months as i have not left here for nearly 3 years I plan to stay over summer there at least i will return here when normalcy resumes and only then

Admittedly i might miss my mrs  but not as much as my dogs!

6 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

With Omicron being so infectious I'd hate to see how infectious another strain would be for it to become dominant.

I see in the UK they have found a few cases of a new Deltacron, no this is not the one detected some time ago, this is a unique one to the UK, however there seems to be no concerns or anything to worry about yet.

'Deltacron' Covid variant merging Omicron and Delta now being monitored by health chiefs

The new variant - labelled Deltacron - has been identified in a UK patient and was named by the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) in its weekly "variants in monitoring" list.

The new variant is believed to have evolved in a patient who caught both the Omicron and Delta variants at the same time.

The exact number of Deltacron cases is unknown, although scientists at this stage reportedly believe case numbers are 'low'.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/deltacron-covid-variant-merging-omicron-26212049

Maybe patients who have caught Omicron and Delta simultaneously and tested positive for both variants. 

From what I understand, Delta and Omicron are from different ‘branches' of evolution of the virus and perhaps originated earlier than Delta.

The graphic below shows maps the genetic relationships.

(https://www.vox.com/22846696/omicron-covid-19-variant-virology-mutation-vaccine)

352181803_Screenshot2022-02-13at22_21_54.thumb.png.a53ed5429098b9ec3555e5f865341db8.png

12 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

There is as much grounds for considering that an entirely  different virus with lethal potential could surface . In terms of historical fact that has and  continues to be a factor . That there is a capacity to identify and negate to various degrees  the impact  should not render  humanity subject to arbitrary  restrictions  that as has this current  viral agent  which have  been proven less effective than the resulting corresponding  lucrative profiteering and enhancement of  authoritarian dictate.

At what point does humanity cease subserviance ?

At what point does the conspiracy nonsense loosen its grip?

15 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

This is the issue.

Johnson is once again ‘winging it’.

He’s doing so for two reasons, hubris and the mess his premiership is in.

And Hubris caused that mess in the first place.