Best transport option from the airport?

RickG16

3 minutes ago, ourdon said:

Use the smart  bus.  goes from the airport to Rawai or Patong for 170 Baht.  May have to buy a rabbit card from the driver.

It's a nice Mercedes air conditioned modern bus (Light blue in colour)

https://phuketsmartbus.com

Thanks mate. Thought about it and I will just rent a bike from near the airport. Bag can easily go on the back

6 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Thanks mate. Thought about it and I will just rent a bike from near the airport. Bag can easily go on the back

Its 100 baht only now on the smart bus!  You can pay in cash! Quite easily your best option!!!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Thing is I will need a bike for the duration of the trip, so makes sense to just get one there

Not great fun if it rained on your therm trip to the airport (bike drop off) before flying back !!!! 

Also, there are Better & cheaper bike rental options in rawai than near the airport (IMO). 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not great fun if it rained on your therm trip to the airport (bike drop off) before flying back !!!! 

Also, there are Better & cheaper bike rental options in rawai than near the airport (IMO). 

Very true.... and this actually happened to me on Samui fairly recently (was drenched for flight to Bangkok and on to CM).

I might check the weather before flying. 

Edited by RickG16

I think that the airport taxi prices are fairly priced - I paid B700 including tip (B660 on the clearly displayed menu just after the swab-test area IIRC) to Kamala.

It's once you get to the resorts that the gorging starts so yes, get a scooter once you are in Rawai.

Best is an airport taxi; door to door> set price
the airport bus is good if u are staying on the main route, otherwise you'd have to use a tuk tuk to get to ur hotel>
after a long ( or even short flight) why hassle?

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I also don’t understand OP’s logic.  

If someone is staying in Patong or Rawai, why would you rent near the airport?   

If he has any problems with the bike, the rental place will be over an hour drive away.  

Rent in Rawai or Patong near where you’re staying and if anything happens the rental place is nearby.   

Also, unless OP is an experienced rider, there are a few spots that I would consider above beginner.  Especially the road coming out of Patong to the East or the stretch between Kata and Rawai if you’re taking the road on the West coast through the mountains.  

Phuket Smart Bus runs down the west coast stopping at all the beaches. 100 baht any distance. Outside domestic arrivals turn left. It's a good air conditioned bus. I've used it a few times. It's not 24hrs but starts early and runes into the evening. Timetable available phuketsmartbus.com

• Like 1

Allowed or not, BOLT works.

Announced price to Patong was 400 Baht.

Driver haggling to 500. I reported him.

And a quite noisy unpleasant ride.

Back to airport: long wait until a driver accepted/moved.

500. Pleasant ride.

A game of luck.

7 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I am. 

What's the drive like down to Kata from the airport? Scenic at all? 

From the airport hugging the coast through Nai Thon, Layan (or cut through Laguna), Cherngtalay, Bang Tao, Surin, Kamala, Patong and Karon/Kata has some pleasant riding sections once you clear the town centres, particularly now that the roads are so quiet.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 3:02 PM, RickG16 said:

Then why ask the question. It took you 17 minutes to change your mind. Why not ask the the mods to close the thread.