Non Imm 'O' based on marriage questions

The last time I had to do this was December 2019 and a lot has changed since then. At the time my finances in the UK were a bit of a problem although it was all sorted in January. I took the advice from here and applied for a 90 day visa in Cardiff which didn't need financials. That was very easy and a pleasant day out to be honest. I had intended to return in March but in the end I extended the visa and then so did the Thai government and I left in September 2020. If the same were available now I'd take it but I don't think it is.

On the London Thai embassy website the links to 'O' visas take you to the home page in Thai so I had to go via a search. I have  copied the standard and specific requirements which I assume are current. There are some I'd like to clarify. I would be applying based on marriage to a Thai.

Basic documents

Printout of visa application form submitted online, with bar code

Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months and at least 2 blank pages. Applicants must fill in online visa application with their given name(s) and surname as appear in their passports.

Supporting documents for the purpose of visit to Thailand. (Please see details for each type.)

On the first one if it's online why do I need a printout? I'm sure this is down to my misunderstanding of what it says.

Proof of relationship to a family in Thailand, e.g. a copy of marriage certificate / birth certificate / certificate of adoption

Personal details of a family in Thailand, e.g. ID card, Passport and the visa page or stay permit in Thailand

Proof of accommodation in Thailand e.g. hotel bookings, invitation letters from family/friends in Thailand

Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party

Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland

On the second one I guess it's just the ID card as there would be no visa but I can send a copy of the photo page anyway.

It doesn't say what financial levels it's looking for but I can show over £20,000 in an account at the moment. I can't remember how I showed bank statements previously. I could order a paper statement and scan it I suppose.

From memory the 'Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland' isn't needed as I'm a UK citizen.

I always check on here as the information is accurate and up to date.

Edited by kimamey

22 hours ago, TheScience said:

This doesn't really answer your question but you might just do it here. Judging by your post  and my extension it sounds much less complicated.

Sorry I don't understand your post. It looks as if there may be something missing.

2 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Sorry I don't understand your post. It looks as if there may be something missing.

My advice was just to get yourself to Thailand and do it here. I understand that's not the response to the question that was initially asked.

This is something to ponder but not necessarily directly related. I had found through the years that the easiest place to get TR visas were nearest to Thailand. The more difficult further afield. Finally, I seem to encounter the most hassles in my home country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheScience said:

My advice was just to get yourself to Thailand and do it here. I understand that's not the response to the question that was initially asked.

This is something to ponder but not necessarily directly related. I had found through the years that the easiest place to get TR visas were nearest to Thailand. The more difficult further afield. Finally, I seem to encounter the most hassles in my home country.

I understand now.

I've only ever done it in the UK and sometimes an extension but before Covid I tended to switch roughly every 3 months and during that time I'd go out of the country to Laos and return so I didn't need to report after 90 days. 

It's not that difficult here once you've worked out what they want and in what format.

Thanks anyway.

• Like 1