Starting kids in a government school if kids house book registration in another area or province?

Kenny202

Raised my kid since not long after birth and have little nor want any contact with my ex where possible. He is registered in her house book in another province. In any case we are renting and should I move his house book registration would only be to our rented place.... which will be a whole lot of hassle for our Landlord and in any case not permanent as one day we will move somewhere else. I do not have full custody over the child though I do have paternity registered at the local court / Amphur. She has never contested custody or in fact even wants him for all I know. But for now better to let sleeping dogs lie as far as she's concerned. I have read a lot last couple of years of house books being done away with and more emphasis put on ID's as I think 80% of Thais don't actually live in the house book they are registered in. Normally mums or grans house and they are living / working elsewhere...

Reason for my question is we are trying to weigh up govt school vs private... costs involved etc. before anyone jumps in with govt school education no good etc I have three farang friends here local teachers that tell me the private schools here aren't that great either...not the ones I can afford anyway. And my thinking is maybe better to send the to a govt school early years and maybe upgrade to a private school for their secondary education before Uni. Anyway, not the point at all and not looking for a lot of free advice on what to do in that respect.

What I do want to know, and would be great if one of you guys wife was a teacher you may be able to ask... Just wondering what are the requirements to get a kid into a local govt school with out of area / province house book (kids around 6yo)? We do have lease papers for where we live in the area if that is of any worth? I know people pay "joining fees" aka graft to the big government schools in the city to get their kids in. And while we're on the subject if anyone has their kids in a govt school....is there ongoing term fees expenses? Same as a private school or none of that? For example I may be better off paying a one off "joining fee" to get in to a govt school, which may be less expensive than an ongoing private school fee of 50-100k a term. I also understand like most government bodies here ....govt schools will differ slightly / greatly from school to school

Prefer some first hand advice here guys, not he said she said. Money is a factor unfortunately. A private school not off the table either just trying to make the best decision long term for the family and need all the facts   

Edited by Kenny202

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I have the same question. My Stepdaughter lives outside BKK and her 10 yo son is coming to live with her from the Village. I looked into Int school but not a good fit, at least right now. So our daughter rents a place. Will the son be able to enroll public school there in the suburbs towards the airport? I think he is in grade 4 now but school has been out there for over a year. 

Thanks for any advice. 

4 hours ago, Tango777 said:

Hello All,

I have the same question. My Stepdaughter lives outside BKK and her 10 yo son is coming to live with her from the Village. I looked into Int school but not a good fit, at least right now. So our daughter rents a place. Will the son be able to enroll public school there in the suburbs towards the airport? I think he is in grade 4 now but school has been out there for over a year. 

Thanks for any advice. 

I think for kids going to a govt school out of their area / house book a gratuity is expected. If you know someone there this can be reduced and negotiation is possible. Don't accept the first price. Some of the big city central Govt schools that have a good name for whatever cost more than private schools to join. I think though once you pay the initial "gift" yearly and term fees are cheap 

• Like 1