Opinion on Heart Valve Surgery at Vejthani Hospital

mav

Has anyone had experience or comments on mitral valve surgery at Vejthani Hospital Bangkok with Dr Taweesak Chotivatanapong. He seems to have a few YouTube videos with Thai patient referrals.

Received an online quote from them which is cheaper than other private hospitals.

My Thai wife was diagnosed by and echogram test from a private hospital  that she needs surgery  to replace or repair the valve.

Went to the government hospital here in Nakhon Sawan yesterday and after 6 hours wait the cardiologist didn't even look at the echo CD that we had and wants to do another echo test which is booked out for another 4 months.

So I think we need to find a private hospital instead (one that is not too expensive).

Any ideas?

Dr. Taweesak Chotivatanapong is very well qualified, having done a fellowhip at Hoag Hospital in the US and being President of the Asian Society of Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgeons. He has published in international journals (including in mitral valve repair.)

Assuming her Ejection Fraction is under 50%, your wife can get this done for free or minimal cost through the government system but the process is slow and full of red tape (as you have experienced).

If you can afford to go private Dr. Taweesak  seems a good choice. Besides Vejthani he is also at:

- Medpark Hospital https://www.medparkhospital.com/en/doctor/dr-taweesak-chotivatanapong

- Central Chest Institute of Thailand: this is a government hospital but almost surely has an "after hours clinic" which serves as a quasi-private channel.  https://www.facebook.com/CentralChestInstituteOfThailandCcit/

And he is also at Bangkok Hospital Heart Institute but it is expensive there - 700,000 – 900,000 THB

I have no idea how costs at MedPark compare to Vejthani, but you can contact the hospital and ask.  The Chest Institute, even going through private after hours channel, will almost surely be much less expensive than either of these but there may be a long wait especially given postponements of surgeries during COVID - but you might like to consult him there (through the after hours clinic) to find out for sure.

Be aware that there are 2 options for mitral valve repair/replacement:  conventional open heart surgery and a minimally invasive transcatheter approach in which the chest is nto opened. The latter is far easier on the patient with much, much shorter recovery time but needs special training and equipment and, despite much shorter hospital stay, usually costs more. I know they can do this at Bumrungrad, Bangkok Heart Hospital and Vejthani, not sure about the Chest Institute and MedPark.

Anyway as you get quotes, need to be clear if it is for open heart surgery or minimally invasive approach. Also, there are differences between mitral valve repair and replacement and which one she needs will depend on her specific case. Repair is preferrable to replacement where it is possible as replacement involves implantation of a prosthetic valve which in turn means lifelong anticoagulant therapy and other issues.

So you need to be clear when getting quotes what procedure exactly they are for as otherwise you may be comparing apples and oranges. And before doing that you need to be clear on the exact recommended procedure.

• Like 2

i have had a valve replacement [aorta] which is one of the 4 heart valves that keep the blood flowing.

i opted for open heart surgery [20cms.scar] it should be all explained to you.i went for a mechanicle st.jude valve which i have to take warfarin for life plus other meds which regulate the bp.blood flow,ect.if like me you have a choice of either mecanicle or animal tissue.but the life time of the later is about 15yrs.mechanicle life time.as for the cost mine was done in the uk.along with a double by-pass,told it could amount to 40,000 pounds.1,750,000bht.that would be for over 3weeks stay in a private ward.i have read good reports about the DR.who sheryl recommends.if you need any further info i am always availeable to help.just one more i had to wait 1.5 yrs.for my surgery.

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2022 at 11:19 AM, Sheryl said:

a minimally invasive transcatheter approach in which the chest is nto opened.

A friend of mine had this done recently at the teaching hospital in Chiang Mai. As he live in the north. Quite expensive as I recall. He was stood next to a house and told me for the price of his valve he could have had said house built.

luckly for me mine was done in the uk.2007,but i have had good reports about having it done in india 

dont forget there are good doctors there to,and the cost is very good.i did see one at a private hospital in bkk.and he to was good.i have a friend who was given a good lump sum to go to OZ.from the uk.has done very well there too.