Police and money for testing for Ya Ba

LoVeFuN

My girlfriend has just sent 4000 Baht to the police for them to test her sons who were in a car coming back home after cutting sugar.

Why does she have to pay this is it a scam?

She has paid the money from the local shop and I said I would not pay as they could stop and make anybody pay.

Opinions please.

• Haha 2

Is your GF asking you to "help" pay this fee?

thais can be drug tested, meth is the drug of choice and if they test positive they can buy their way out within 24 hours.  Or enter the "legal" system, i.e. plead guilty, go to jail for xx months, get a royal pardon and serve half that term.

The buy-out fee for meth is closer to 30,000 but this may depend on locale, for which most have to take out a loan, from the relative of a policeman of course.

Not sure what scam your GF is running? Or what scam the sons might be running? Or what scam the police might be running?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

From my personal experience, that's the thin end of the wedge.

How much are you into this girlfriend of yours?

I have known her for 6 years, stayed with her many times marrying when papers come through this week.

Her boys probably smoked it last night and tested positive.

The cheapest option I think if it goes to court, maybe 20000 Baht.

They have a history of using it, maybe they asked for their names and then see their record. Then it's a nice little bit for their tea money.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LoVeFuN said:

Ok, her boys tested positive for ya ba and seems they accepted 4000 Baht to let them go.

Looks like I will end up paying.

Thanks for your replies.

Going rate for positive result is 30,000. To be released. Here in Mae sot land.  No charge to be tested. Usually a field test, even the drug "dealers" just get an option, pay close to 100,000. or  get about 6 years in jail.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, LoVeFuN said:

I will try to get more details and then post again as I cannot understand why they want money for just testing.

Ask to see official police price list for a meth test.It ain’t 2k for sure, probably free in fact…or 200 baht max. surely nearly all Thais busted for meth use won’t have 2k spare cash !

• Haha 1

On 2/17/2022 at 1:23 PM, LoVeFuN said:

Looks like I will end up paying.

None of my business, but I hope you are aware that once you start doing this, then they will always turn to you for their "get out of jail free" card, eh, bribes. Have your checkbook handy at all times, sounds like you're going to need it. 

On 2/17/2022 at 3:19 PM, LoVeFuN said:
On 2/17/2022 at 2:56 PM, NanLaew said:

From my personal experience, that's the thin end of the wedge.

How much are you into this girlfriend of yours?

I have known her for 6 years, stayed with her many times marrying when papers come through this week.

Her boys probably smoked it last night and tested positive.

The cheapest option I think if it goes to court, maybe 20000 Baht.

They have a history of using it, maybe they asked for their names and then see their record. Then it's a nice little bit for their tea money.

The six years should have shown you that when you marry a Thai girl, you marry her family, more so in the more rural areas and assuming that there's no sugar cane cutting in Bangkok, you could be up for quite a lot of 'tea money'.

On 2/19/2022 at 10:04 AM, NanLaew said:

The six years should have shown you that when you marry a Thai girl, you marry her family, more so in the more rural areas and assuming that there's no sugar cane cutting in Bangkok, you could be up for quite a lot of 'tea money'.

No more money coming from me, in that area made it quite clear.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2022 at 7:01 AM, RichardColeman said:

Be interesting to see the police receipt ! Think you've been conned mate, sorry.

Sent the money to relatives they got it down from 5000 to 4000. Get real buddy it's a money spinner for them.