Why Can't We Get These Food Items?

JR Texas

eek, although baked beans are a north american creation it has been wholeheartedly and, one could say, obsessively adopted by the British. :o

Anyway, butterfingers! Yum! Never seen them here tho. Nor Dr Pepper. I love my junk food :D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I want some White Castle Burgers myself

Here you go.....

White Castle Hamburgers

Get a half kilo of 85% lean ground beef, and divide into 16 equal sized pieces.

Form each into a 2-1/2 inch square patties. Do this on waxed paper. Make the patties very thin. Then "cookie-cut" five holes in each patty.(the pattern should resemble 5 on a dice) A CLEAN pen cap works nicely.

Freeze these 16 patties. (It'll make it easier later)

BUNS: One hot-dog bun makes two White Castle buns. Simply cut in half (through top and bottom) and then cut off the rounded sides to make them square.

COOKING: This is key. You need to finely chop a medium white onion.

On a pre-heated 375 degree electric griddle, lay about 1-1/2 Tablespoons of onion for each patty you want to cook (generously spray with non-stick spray like Pam first) The onions should only be "one deep" if you will.

Immediately place frozen patty directly on top of onions and press down.

Cook for about 4 minutes right on top of the onions. The holes in the beef will allow the steam to cook the top side. (You don't flip)

Add a dash of salt and a pinch of pepper to each patty while they cook.

Remove and place on UNTOASTED buns.

ow heck..you got me thinking about Dr.Pepper :o

A&W Rootbeer keeps me happy enough. :D

Ya, in a frozen mug... :D with deep-fried onion rings.

Good recipe, BW. I will try that. Never heard of White Castle burgers before.

Then try the White Castles with these....

A&W Onion Rings

1 cup McCormick Golden Dipt Tempura batter mix

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup beer

1 extra large white onion, sliced 3/8" thick

6 cups vegetable oil in your deep fryer

Preheat the deep fryer to 375F

Combine the tempura mix with the spices and liquid to make a batter using a fork. There will be some small lumps; don't worry about those.

Slice the onion, and separate all of the rings.

Dip the individual rings in the batter, and drop into the preheated oil. Deep fry 3−5 minutes until golden brown.

Remove to a paper towel lined plate, salt lightly, and serve hot.

SBK: I had no idea baked beans are a north american dish.

OP... why would you want to have anything other than a home made hamburger and home made barbecue?

If you need a cobbler recipie I can send you one.

All the other stuff can be found.. try siam paragon for anything you have not found yet.

ow heck..you got me thinking about Dr.Pepper :o

A&W Rootbeer keeps me happy enough. :D

Hopefully this will make you happy too.....

A&W Root Beer

Ingredients:

3/4 cup Granulated Sugar

3/4 cup Hot Water

1 liter Cold Seltzer Water

3/4 teaspoon root beer concentrate (McCormick is best)

Directions:

Dissolve the sugar in the hot water. Add the root beer concentrate and let cool.

Combine the root beer mixture with the cold seltzer water, drink immediately, or store in fridge in tightly covered container.

This recipe for A&W Root Beer serves/makes 5 cups

I found some bottles of Mirinda root beer in a small private owned minimart near Ubon last month. He didn't have cans. I've been looking for it for ages in the wholesalers with no luck. He said he bought it off the Pepsi delivery truck.

Im under the impression you can get most things from somewhere here? Actually i am surprised by how spoilt we are for choice here as some other countries ive lived in have had much less.

You are soooooooooooooooooooo right. You only have to read what people write to see how ridiculous it's getting. The other day someone suggested a great thing to bring here would be Kit-kat bars. I know a guy that used to bring Orange Juice from England cause he could not find it. Let's face it, you have a better chioice of most foods than nearly every where I've been. And what is the biggest gripe in England nowadays?.

" OHHHHHHHHHH, please help me. I can't find anywhere that sells Thai food. "

Ive never tried rootbeer..so is it similar to the taste of dr.pepper?

Yes, but I would say better.

I think that it originated from the roots of the saperilla tree in America and we used to make our own when we were kids and camping out in the woods. :o

Ive never tried rootbeer..so is it similar to the taste of dr.pepper?

Yes, but I would say better.

I think that it originated from the roots of the saperilla tree in America and we used to make our own when we were kids and camping out in the woods. :D

I disagree completely! Root beer has a different flavor from Dr Pepper. Root beer was originally made from sassafras, not sasparilla :D

Whereas Dr Pepper is a combination of soda fountain flavors, originally invented in Waco, I believe. Guess they had to produce something other than religious extremists :o

Anyway, the one thing I have noticed that you cannot get out in the boonies is a proper bagel. They are not that easy to make either. I have tried and got some rather lumpen, pale and unappetizing results.

Root beer has a different flavor from Dr Pepper. Root beer was originally made from sassafras, not sasparilla :o

Yes, you are right. I haven't made it in something like 40 years as a young child, so difficult to remember.

It is different, but not so different that I need both. A&W Rootbeer scratches my inch for both. :D

Root beer has a different flavor from Dr Pepper. Root beer was originally made from sassafras, not sasparilla :o

Yes, you are right. I haven't made it in something like 40 years as a young child, so difficult to remember.

It is different, but not so different that I need both. A&W Rootbeer scratches my inch for both. :D

We used to sell 'Yeo' root beer in our shop in Uk. That brand must be available here. ( you could always ask Jamie on ESPN, it's part of her family)

We used to sell 'Yeo' root beer in our shop in Uk. That brand must be available here. ( you could always ask Jamie on ESPN, it's part of her family)

JR Texas: Thanks for all the leads to difficult to find food items..........the talk about Dr. Pepper really started to remind me of how much I miss it. You can get it in some special stores in China (at high cost). I think it was started by a man named Dr. Pepper in Waco, Texas. And I think the secret ingredient was prune juice and sasparilla........seriously........need to look it up on the net.

Wikopedia

"Dr Pepper's flavor is allegedly derived from a mixture of soda fountain flavors popular when the drink was first devised. A partial list of these flavors can be seen at the bottling plant in Dublin, Texas, although the formula itself (with its twenty-three ingredients) is a closely guarded secret. Contrary to a popular urban legend, Dr Pepper does not, and never has, contained prune juice."

Dr. Pepper's been available at our local Rimping store in Chiang Mai for a long time, but one 12-ounce can costs a fortune, so I don't buy it. Same with the real Doritos. I ate in the A&W outlet in Bangkok, at that huge computer building. I believe the guy who invented Dr. Pepper in Waco was a local pharmacist, back when such chemists were given the honorary title of "Doctor" although they were just druggists.

I miss McDonald's breakfast.

Eat them EVERY day when I go to Aussie or Singapore! :o

oh poor you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JR Texas: Maybe straying off topic a bit, but I spent almost all of 2006 in China and ate breakfast at McDonalds about twice per week: pancakes and sausage (just like home in Texas). I was so happy........I love Chinese food but you just get tired of it. I wonder why McDonalds in Thailand refused to offer farang breakfast items........even in places like Pattaya. Maybe we just are not demanding it.........hint, hint, hint.

Dr. Pepper's been available at our local Rimping store in Chiang Mai for a long time, but one 12-ounce can costs a fortune, so I don't buy it. Same with the real Doritos. I ate in the A&W outlet in Bangkok, at that huge computer building. I believe the guy who invented Dr. Pepper in Waco was a local pharmacist, back when such chemists were given the honorary title of "Doctor" although they were just druggists.

Most of the Doctors I know are honorary doctors, there's not a lot of doctors of medicine around, most have bachelors degree's. My niece is a real doctor, she spends her working day looking at fungus's growing on cereal crops.

I spent almost all of 2006 in China and ate breakfast at McDonalds about twice per week: pancakes and sausage (just like home in Texas). I was so happy........I love Chinese food but you just get tired of it. I wonder why McDonalds in Thailand refused to offer farang breakfast items........even in places like Pattaya. Maybe we just are not demanding it.........hint, hint, hint.

Burger King started serving breakfast recently, but it SUCKS.

I hope that this will force McDonalds to compete! :o

I spent almost all of 2006 in China and ate breakfast at McDonalds about twice per week: pancakes and sausage (just like home in Texas). I was so happy........I love Chinese food but you just get tired of it. I wonder why McDonalds in Thailand refused to offer farang breakfast items........even in places like Pattaya. Maybe we just are not demanding it.........hint, hint, hint.

Burger King started serving breakfast recently, but it SUCKS.

I hope that this will force McDonalds to compete! :o

I asked the district manager why they didn't start serving breakfast from midnight until 10am vice 6am until 11am. I told him that they would get a lot of customers at bar closing time, not only from patrons but from staff too for breakfast items. He looked at me like I had a booger on my face (perhaps I did).

That was 2 years ago and the serving times are still the same.

I went into my local McDonalds in Ramsgate at 09.50 and asked for a burger ( for my wife) our shop was 5 or 6 doors away. They told me they were not serving Burgers till 10.00, only breakfasts. I walked home to ask my wife if she wanted a breakfast instead, messed around for a few minutes then returned to Macs. I got there at 10.05, ordered the breakfast only to be told I'd have to have a burger, cause they stopped serving breakfast at 10.00.