Bangkok’s China ties in focus as US-Thailand ‘Cobra Gold’ military drills return – but smaller

webfact

screenshot_16793.jpg

US and Thai soldiers shake hands at the end of a live-fire exercise as part of Cobra Gold in 2017. Photo: AFP

-- The once-massive Cobra Gold exercises had to be scaled back again this year because of the pandemic, raising questions about their waning importance

-- But analysts say the multinational drills are still a useful diplomatic tool for Washington, as Bangkok increasingly turns to Beijing for arms purchases

Jitsiree Thongnoi in Bangkok

One of the Asia-Pacific’s longest-running military drills co-hosted by Thailand and the United States will take place from Sunday to March 5, but in scaled-down fashion given the spread of the Omicron Covid-19 variant.

Some 3,460 personnel, about a third of the pre-pandemic figures, will take part in this year’s Cobra Gold, including 1,953 Thai troops and 1,296 Americans, it was announced at a Thai military press conference earlier this month joined by the US Chargé d’Affaires Michael Heath.

Of the 20 countries involved, Singapore, Japan, Indonesia, South Korea and Malaysia will also send troops to join the exercises, while China, India and Australia will join humanitarian and civic projects like building school facilities in rural parts of Thailand.

Full story: https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/politics/article/3167485/bangkoks-china-ties-focus-us-thailand-cobra-gold-military-drills

logo.jpg
-- © Copyright South China Morning Post 2022-02-19

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I wonder why USA even does this in the first place, plenty of other places do similar exercises. I guess tradition.

Brown envelopes bring (supposedly) influence. Lots of money is paid by the USA to conduct these Gold exercises. Named 'Gold' for more than one reason. Strictly BS exercise to provide contacts if the SHTF with Red Chinese.  Fools gold as far as I'm concerned; Chinese blood is all too powerful in Thailand for 'gold relations' to matter.

Not just money. A lot of relationships are built here, especially at the LTC to BG level. I had even got an invitation to the Thai Command and General Staff College (though no real possibility for me of getting that from the US side) due to speaking Thai and being friendly. Diplomatic relationships are dynamic. As one group dies/retires, the next moves to power. You'd be surprised what can be done over a few beers, BBQ, and songs sung.

• Like 1