What might happen if you tested Omicron positive on arrival to Thailand: how hospital scam works

blanes2007

I had the same experience; 
Dhipaya insurance, Century Park Hotel for 'test and go', Piyavate Hospital found  "potentiall Omicron" positive test, was whisked away in an ambulance without any information or choice and 10 days Maitria Hotel (used as hospitel by Pyavate).
I had still selftests with me so I checked on day 2, indeed positive.
In my case the insurance paid everything, this was only confirmed on the last day and I checked out day 11 without advancing a cent. 
The food was extremely poor though for a total bill of over 120,000 thb, my friends had food delivered and I still lost 3 kg.

Edited by orchis
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, blanes2007 said:

A day later anonymous 'AAA' representative called me to the hotel and told that they had agreed with BBB insurance company to cover the cost of my treatment in their hospital with my policy. That was a lie as actually the insurer refused to do it.

Thanks for the post, very valuable in gauging risks.

Does anyone know if it is legal to record incoming telephone calls here? Do you have to advise the calling party that the conversation is being recorded?

I searched a bit, found nothing definitive.

Shakedowns are challenging to deal with here when it is the authorities doing the shaking. If you raise too much of a stink they'll charge you with defamation, so they have the power.

7 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

You should definitely change your location then... At least remove "Sadly" and "Yet!"

I still hope they remove test requirement before July so i can get back to Samui 

If not I just wait until next year and spend my money elsewhere until then.

Plenty of places to choose from, but i would prefer Thailand.

a similar story.

beginning of february, positive with minor symptoms, taken to piyavate. Detected from blood only small level of infection (probably antibodies markers), no changes in lungs by xray. My first reading of temperature 37.3C was commented as "high fever", the following were all below 37C.

Offered medicines, which I have refused all. I have insisted on quoting me price - for 200mg faviripavir they wanted 350b and I suppose to take 9 pills after receiving them, as a first dose. This medicine was imported from japan by thai government for 30b per pill. It's now also generic made in thailand by the GPO, probably around 10b per pill. In India 800mg for $1.

I have asked dr for hospitel. He said, that because I have refused medication I have to stay at hospital.

Total 140k was covered only partially by Dhipaya some 50k for "medical", but not for hospital stay (room, food).

I walked out from hospital. So far no any paperwork, bills, were delivered to my address. That also includes recovery certificate. But I have original copies of positive test and medical certificate (I have requested them on the first day and posted it to my insurer).

Edited by internationalism

3 minutes ago, internationalism said:

I walked out from hospital. So far no any paperwork, bills, were delivered to my address.

What do you mean by that? You simply didn't pay the bill? 

Living in Pattaya and my Thai wife did a home ATK test as she had a fever/chills/sore throat after spending time visiting her aunt and cousins, the test was positive for covid and she didn't want to infect my 14 y/o son or I so she called the Pattaya call center and asked what she should do, long story short, she stayed in nice (not run down, not some open field) hotel for one week, total cost...ZERO.  I would bring her items from home/supermarkets and she was fed 3 times a day.  

Note; all in our home a fully vaxed and her symptoms quickly went away after a couple of days.

6 hours ago, blanes2007 said:

Eventually, after spending 2 nights in the 'luxury' room and being firm :((( I was proposed to pay 'only' 9000 bht and free to go home :))) which I also refused to pay as I was taken to this 'hospitel' by the deseption.

Can't wait to see what happens when OP tries to leave Thailand...

I'm sure IDC will be far less comfortable (and chargeable as well).