Renting/borrowing A Flak Jacket?

anais

I'm reporting from Iraq in July and just found out that I'm required to have a flak jacket. What I'm hearing is around $2,000 ... and I don't have it. Does anyone know where I can rent or borrow protective equipment? Thanks.

A bullet resistant jacket (which will resist assault rifle calibre ammo) is not cheap and I dread to think what sort of a company encourages its employees and workers in forking out for protective equipment.

THEY should be providing you with a flak jacket! Afterall the'll surely be more than enough body armour lying around the green zone from the US logistics bases.

If you're in LOS I'd contact you're boss and tell him they aren't available here for the general public (unless you're in with the army)

A cheapo one will cost no more than about $200 but this will probably only resist shrapnel only. Also if you are 'reporting' in the impartial observer sense then you'll be wise to obtain a neutral blue coloured one rather than military dpm (makes the locals less likely to kill you)

The Iraqi Mercs and bodyguards that browse this forum will probably be able to advise you better than I.

Edited by JimsKnight

I'm not sure if you can actually "rent" something like that. Are you going to be working in the green zone? You should be ok...it's just getting there that is the problem. If an IED hits your vehicle on the way there, you won't have to worry about a flak jacket as it's not going to protect you from that. Too bad the company you are working for won't supply at least some protection...then again, I think family members of US troops were buying these for their protection as the government was not supplying very well.

i have a friend who will be there as well. if your company doesn't supply you with that, stay home. will you be doing your own driving as well? perhaps house hunting?

Edited by t.s

I'm reporting from Iraq in July and just found out that I'm required to have a flak jacket. What I'm hearing is around $2,000 ... and I don't have it. Does anyone know where I can rent or borrow protective equipment? Thanks.

If your reporting for a Thai company then they may supply you with one of those amulets that people are wearing right now.  It was recently reported in the Pattaya Mail that a guy drove his car infront of  an oncoming train and survived - he put his survival down to wearing the amulet, as it had brought him good luck.

So they do work :o

Failing this try showing your employer this post and shaming him into providing a flack jacket :D

There is a police/mercenary/etc. supply shop on Suan Plu in BKK across from the immigration office. I've never gone inside, though will someday, but from the window displays, they appear to have lots of law enforcement stuff there. You might go ask them.

Take a look at ASLM Trading Company Limited 32 / 4 Moo4. Talingchan, Bangkok, Thailand

website http://www.aslmtrading.com/product.html

They advertise as manufacturers focusing on BulletProof, Police & Military Supplies, Personal Protection & Self Defense and Safety Products. Their website shows a range of Body Armor, Bullet Proof and Ballistic Body Armour

Best of luck to you. I used to work/live in Iraq. Interesting place.

Sorry about some of the unnecessary attention your OP is getting. A lot of companies/organizations have different rules. It's not one thing, but the composite that makes them good or bad. So, if your happy with everything else in your contract/arrangement, then buy your jacket and ignore the unwarranted remarks.

Hey, I think I would be more comfortable knowing exactly what I was buying/wearing than having some company find the cheapest supplier of vests for me.

Simple, I worked there for 2 years. Your employer/security provider should provide all relevant equipment. If they don't then I wouldn't go, they are a second class outfit. if they can't supply a vest then you must ask yourself if they have the capability to evac you if god forbid it went wrong.

I have worked on various contract jobs in various parts of the word and I would NOT go for ANY job that did not provide ALL necessary essentials required for the work as required.

If the flack jacket is “recommended” then that is different.

Be careful :o

D.D.

I have worked on various contract jobs in various parts of the word and I would NOT go for ANY job that did not provide ALL necessary essentials required for the work as required.

If the flack jacket is “recommended” then that is different.

Be careful :o

D.D.

Totally agree with this...

When you say "reporting" did you mean for a news organisation?

If so read this about a guy I know in Afghanistan... :D

http://blog.jdwhitlock.net/?p=210

RAZZ

i have a friend who will be there as well. if your company doesn't supply you with that, stay home. will you be doing your own driving as well? perhaps house hunting?

Maybe even some head hunting, if he loses his!!!!