Royal Enfield Tour 2022. Part One.

chrissables

Day 29. 12.02.22. War Cemeteries and backroads towards Hellfire Pass. 224km

I went to see the local war cemeteries before i rode the back roads towards the suspension bridge at hellfire pass today. I have been before from the main road in, but this time google maps had no signal and after many wrong roads I gave up.

I still found some good views though.

https://goo.gl/maps/iyPtrRakgwCRVc487

The next few days I stayed in Kanchanaburi dodging storms.

Sunday 6 February I road to Hua Hin for a bike service and to buy a waterproof bag as the Enfield canvas bags were useless.

The weather was terrible and after waiting to see if it would change I gave up and rode home. Also storms were forecast for the next week.

https://www.relive.cc/view/vrqornpwWy6

Thursday 17 February I rode home to Pattaya.
As I was leaving the hotel a facebook friend rode right up to the hotel so Jonny Mac and I decided to ride back together.

https://www.relive.cc/view/vrqor1zk1K6

This trip will be continued as soon as I sort out the waterproof bags and the weather looks better.

So far this trip I have ridden 6311 km.

DSCF2856.jpg

DSCF2857.jpg

DSCF2874.jpg

DSCF2876.jpg

DSCF2880.jpg

DSCF2881.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chrissables said:

My plans changed every day. I had a broad outline, but in the morning many times i changed my route.

Great posts - just a couple of questions:

*  how often do you oil the chain on this kind of ride?

*  did you need to get the chain tightened/adjusted?  If so, how often?

Tks

1 hour ago, dinga said:

Great posts - just a couple of questions:

*  how often do you oil the chain on this kind of ride?

*  did you need to get the chain tightened/adjusted?  If so, how often?

Tks

Not enough ???? But sometimes i just stopped at local shops. Two services at Enfield dealers too, due to a 3,000 km service interval, which is a con. Worldwide if 5,000 km i understand.

The chain has never been adjusted to my knowledge even when serviced.
I ride this bike without racing about and hard accelerating. 9,000 km now.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Not enough ???? But sometimes i just stopped at local shops. Two services at Enfield dealers too, due to a 3,000 km service interval, which is a con. Worldwide if 5,000 km i understand.

The chain has never been adjusted to my knowledge even when serviced.
I ride this bike without racing about and hard accelerating. 9,000 km now.

Tks - I've got a Mighty Enfield too (Interceptor 650).  Have been a bit remiss, given the local RE Dealer's recommendation that the chain should be cleaned and oiled every 1,000 Kms (bike has done a tad over 23,000 Kms).  Have just had them tighten the chain (again) after only 1,500 Kms - they tell me all is good (and the chain should be tightened monthly!!!!).  Call me sceptical, but I'm anticipating something else is amiss....      

• Like 1

Chris thank you again so very much wonderfully documented trip and spectacular photos as is your norm. With ongoing cancer treatment am unable to do anything remotely similar but absolutely thrilled to share the ride with you vicariously thanks again.????????????  Rand

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dinga said:

Tks - I've got a Mighty Enfield too (Interceptor 650).  Have been a bit remiss, given the local RE Dealer's recommendation that the chain should be cleaned and oiled every 1,000 Kms (bike has done a tad over 23,000 Kms).  Have just had them tighten the chain (again) after only 1,500 Kms - they tell me all is good (and the chain should be tightened monthly!!!!).  Call me sceptical, but I'm anticipating something else is amiss....      

To be honest i am really surprised about the chain, but i really do take it easy, more interested seeing the views than racing about.

1 hour ago, Randell said:

Chris thank you again so very much wonderfully documented trip and spectacular photos as is your norm. With ongoing cancer treatment am unable to do anything remotely similar but absolutely thrilled to share the ride with you vicariously thanks again.????????????  Rand

Cheers Randell, hopefully soon you will be able to go riding and enjoy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrissables said:

To be honest i am really surprised about the chain, but i really do take it easy, more interested seeing the views than racing about.

Me too =  I'm 67, and likewise am a sedate rider (hence my sceptism of the advice from RE Rayong) 

5 hours ago, dinga said:

Got O-rings?

Hey Sceptical:

Conventional [non-O] chains require frequent maintenance

as you describe.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, dinga said:

Have just had them tighten the chain (again) after only 1,500 Kms - they tell me all is good

When chains are new they will stretch initially and require a couple of adjustments, once past this stage they'll go on for a few 1,000 more before needing adjustment again. O-Ring chains don't really need lubricating as the grease is inside the rollers, but they do require cleaning once in a while, you can do this with WD40 or whatever you feel like and a rag. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1