Ousted Pm To Come Home

Mid

Ousted PM to come home without asking permit from the junta

Tue, June 12, 2007 : Last updated 17:22 pm (Thai local time)

Deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will end his exile and return home soon without having to ask permission from the military junta, his spokesman Noppadon Patama said Tuesday.

The exact date and time of his return will be known within a couple of days, Noppadon said in a press conference.

Thaksin decided to return home because "he was being bullied" by the military junta, Noppadon said, adding particularly after the Assets Examination Committee's order to seize his and his wife's wealth.

Thaksin criticised the order as being "unfair" and ordered setting up of legal team to bring the case to both civil and criminal courts. The legal team is expected to complete their formal complaint within this week.

Thaksin, who went into exile after being ousted in September last year, believed that the junta ordered the AEC to rule that way.

The order to seize the assets was another serious blow to Thaksin's political standing after his Thai Rak Thai Party was dissolved in May.

here we go ........................

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Will his actual return be more explosive than a rerun of the same arguements that we have seen on here ad infinitum but with added vitriol?

good question, we have threads running on the ex pm by the score, I will keep this one under observation

Will his actual return be more explosive than a rerun of the same arguements that we have seen on here ad infinitum but with added vitriol?

good question, we have threads running on the ex pm by the score, I will keep this one under observation

now that we have a referee , I'll serve ,

does he expect the junta to allow him to arrive as the popular hero ??

Thaksin can return without seeking permission: Surayud

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said Tuesday that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra can return to Thailand to defend himself against corruption charges without having to seek permission first.

"He does not have to seek permission" from the Council for National Security, Surayud told reporters when informed of Thaksin's plan to return to defend his assets.

Surayud said he understood Thaksin's need to return to the country after the Assets Examination Committee charged him with being unusually rich and ordered a freeze of his assets.

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30036670

Edited by hammered

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said Tuesday that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra can return to Thailand to defend himself against corruption charges without having to seek permission first.

"He does not have to seek permission" from the Council for National Security, Surayud told reporters when informed of Thaksin's plan to return to defend his assets.

Surayud said he understood Thaksin's need to return to the country after the Assets Examination Committee charged him with being unusually rich and ordered a freeze of his assets.

The Nation

apparently so ........

Edited by Mid

The Nation

apparently so ........

taksin is not a stupid man ,nor are his leagal advisors ,if he does come back he must be really confident he is going to win ,no paying people off this time ,the world is watching ,i say good luck to him.....

taksin is not a stupid man ,nor are his leagal advisors ,if he does come back he must be really confident he is going to win ,no paying people off this time ,the world is watching ,i say good luck to him.....

is it possible you underestimate his ego ...?

The Nation

apparently so ........

i dont know where you come from but you dont win law suits by being confident in thailand. thai law has not shown to operate on logic and precedence, this is not england, this is a military appointed panel. of course people are going to be paid off, dont be naive.

if you want the law to work for you, you got to give a little somethin somethin, know what i mean?

i wonder what surayud means when he says the police will provide him with protection? behind bars?

My very first initial gut feeling that took all of five seconds to come up with is he is coming here to give a kick to his bank vault door that has appeared to have gotten stuck on the closed position. As far as I know he was due in court next week anyways unless I am mistaken.

My very first initial gut feeling that took all of five seconds to come up with is he is coming here to give a kick to his bank vault door that has appeared to have gotten stuck on the closed position. As far as I know he was due in court next week anyways unless I am mistaken.

I think he's coming back to sort out his finances - somebody's just knicked 3.5 million from a security van! :o

Things are coming to a head fast. Funny how PM Surayud seems so relaxed about it. It used to be that the CNS and government always seemed so nervous as Mr. T and his team were relaxed. Now it seems the nerves and anger are on Mr. Ts side while Surayud seems unworried. It will be interesting to see what the CNS have to say.

I believe his arrival will be well publicized. He will probably not arrive at some remote military base unless the plane is ordered diverted by the junta. He will be greeted, I am sure, by thousands of his adoring fans. a returning hero.

Kind of like The Lord of The Ringtones Part II: The Return Of The King

This is where it gets interesting. He will be like a cornered tiger, his back against a wall, fighting for his and his family's financial lives.

He still has a lot of credibility with many people and I believe more importantly, moral support from grass roots groups who will kiss his feet. There will be a lot of panicky phone calls made in the back rooms of power. Deals will be made.

We are now dealing with a massive ego struggle between Sonthi and his military pals and Thaksin and his supporters.

Clear the field. I wouldn't want to try and bet where this confontation goes. :o

Maybe he can get the neighbors to help?

Edited by ratcatcher

maybe he is coming back to call off ptv and the other protestors in negotiation for his assets?

who really knows what the cns might have planned. thaskin is at their mercy right now.

If they wanted they could get an arrest warrant, divert the plane to U-Tapao and lead him away in chains all live on national TV, but somehow I think it will develop differently. There are still deals that can be made.

i wonder what surayud means when he says the police will provide him with protection?

Ask Aquino.

My thoughts exactly. Although if something catastrophic happened to Thaksin upon his arrival, it would probably push the country to the brink of civil war and destroy the junta's shakey standing worldwide. Wiser heads will prevail.

One thing I don't get is why didn't he take his booty along with him. It was on the cards that they'd confiscate it.

Maybe he actually believed in the rule of law. :o

Or, he believed that because everybody else has been very comfortable to eat with and from him he won't be punished.

Well, lets wait and see. His assets may have been frozen, but so far nothing went to trial yet.

I was actually so surprised when I read this. It is almost I will believe it when I see it. I don’t even want to speculate if this is true, but if it is for Thaksin money and power in that order. The power went last September, and yesterday the money.

Just last night I was thinking what a difference a year makes. Last year at this time Thaksin had just un-quit.

Am I the only one - but I fear this could be a bad move by the Junta -

i.e. to allow him back now just while the demonstrations are starting

to pick up speed ?

I thought at one time they were going to keep him out until

after the elections ?

This could stir up a lot of emotion when the rural people see him again

- I really dont understand how those power think.......... :o

Am I the only one - but I fear this could be a bad move by the Junta -

i.e. to allow him back now just while the demonstrations are starting

to pick up speed ?

I thought at one time they were going to keep him out until

after the elections ?

This could stir up a lot of emotion when the rural people see him again

- I really dont understand how those power think.......... :o

An interesting comment. What I have seen is the junta let the rule of law prevail. They wanted the democrats to be dissolved but accepted the courts wisdom. They wanted to have a state of emergency early on to stop this, but the PM chose another approach. Thaksin is entitled to defend himself under the law, so to say the junta would deny him due process does not fit the pattern. They want to keep him out there is no dispute about that, but again they will allow him because it is his right.

I still see the junta as a good guy with a bad name.... but not a perfect guy.

One thing I don't get is why didn't he take his booty along with him. It was on the cards that they'd confiscate it.

my wife says the skinny on the thai web boards is that he took a plane load (literally) of money

with him to new york. this from the account of the Thai Airlines pilot who flew the thing. that might

account for the 20 billion baht that seems to be missing.

as per another posters comments, it is interesting how calm and collected the CNS and govt are

about letting takky back in now. i am hoping it is a case of "we have the goods, let king-ego come

back and face the music".

--dan