Ousted Pm To Come Home

Mid

One thing I don't get is why didn't he take his booty along with him. It was on the cards that they'd confiscate it.

Maybe he actually believed in the rule of law. :D

Or, he believed that because everybody else has been very comfortable to eat with and from him he won't be punished.

Well, lets wait and see. His assets may have been frozen, but so far nothing went to trial yet.

Again I will state,that I never liked Taksin,but I fail to comprehend the posters on here that agree with him loosing everything without a trial. :D

Hammered included a link on another thread to the law governing the freezing of assets in the UK. You will be surprised to find that similar actions without a trial are perfectly legal in the UK and I would imagine given the war on terror that the US has similar laws on the books. Hence, while it doesn't seem fair, it is perfectly legal in many other countries as well.

It maybe the law in other countries,but would these countries ..with a junta :o ,prevent the accused from returning to face these charges?I think not.

Guess you missed where the PM said he could come back and did not need permission?

I Guess you missed the many months where THE UNELECTED JUNTA said that he was not welcome in his own country. :D

you need to re-read this thread

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so what? Many dictators have been elected ... often it takes real action to dislodge them

Should that action be by an "X" at the ballot box or tanks in the street. Tanks in the street just exchange your dictators. The problem with Tank based dictatorships is, you can't get rid of them unless you get a bigger tank, the "X" does not work in tank based systems.

you need to read up on Thailand's history ... this is NOT Canada :o

cor blimmey,you mean to say that canada doesn't have a ruling Junta?You learn something every day eh.. :D

One thing I don't get is why didn't he take his booty along with him. It was on the cards that they'd confiscate it.

Or, he believed that because everybody else has been very comfortable to eat with and from him he won't be punished.

Well, lets wait and see. His assets may have been frozen, but so far nothing went to trial yet.

Again I will state,that I never liked Taksin,but I fail to comprehend the posters on here that agree with him loosing everything without a trial. :D

Hammered included a link on another thread to the law governing the freezing of assets in the UK. You will be surprised to find that similar actions without a trial are perfectly legal in the UK and I would imagine given the war on terror that the US has similar laws on the books. Hence, while it doesn't seem fair, it is perfectly legal in many other countries as well.

It maybe the law in other countries,but would these countries ..with a junta :o ,prevent the accused from returning to face these charges?I think not.

Guess you missed where the PM said he could come back and did not need permission?

I Guess you missed the many months where THE UNELECTED JUNTA said that he was not welcome in his own country. :D

So you are telling me that Taksin has always been welcome here by THE JUNTA? :D

they don't let him in

Taksin in a couple of days in Thailand ?

good breeding ground for

maybe bloodshed ?oh no

what do you think, because he's got the

money.

And the machiavelli way of thinking

{the incident with the car bomb}

lack of respect for human life

{ 80 moslim protesters suficated in those trucks after a riot}

Sonthi was in that time general over the south

were it happened

it would not suprise me

that he hires some of those

ex proffesionel war fighters

a lot of companies there in

londen how are selling that kind of warstuff

it only takes one bullet

to explode the situation and than saying

the bullet came from theThai army

So you are telling me that Taksin has always been welcome here by THE JUNTA? :D

Subtle choices in words, not welcome and not permitted have different meanings.

Good move and... good timing.

Thaksin will be able to play the "victim". He will arrive, humble, will go to pray in many temple, will make donations to monks, will tell the press that he is so happy to be back in his beloved country, and that he wants to "serve" his fellow people and to fight "injustice"...

His supporters are going to be thrilled.

Sonthi and Surayud seem to be in a trap.

Edited by cclub75

Having been a visistor to Thailand for over 30 years and now a resident I still feel we have no rights to a political voice.

I have seen Thasiland grow and prosper and am amazed when living here to find how far it has advanced in a mere thirty years. No government is perfect and in my view the British government is as corrupt as any.

Welcome back Mr Taxin

Having 2 Thai children, I feel I have the right to a political voice........ I might never vote, but to deny me the right to comment on my childrens future is no better than a military junta government......

BURNING ISSUE

It's become a political fight to the death

Wounded, his family in jeopardy, Thaksin is fighting desperately to defeat Sonthi, who can't afford to lose

By accident or design, junta chief General Sonthi Boonyaratglin and ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra both find themselves in a tight corner and face politically fatal risks if they make just one wrong move.

Amid pro-Thaksin protests - disguised as anti-junta battle cries - and stern warnings of anti-riot measures, many have confused the junta-Thaksin posturing with a war dance. But this is actually a funeral dance.

The question is whose funeral it is going to be - Thaksin's or Sonthi's?

At stake are the future of Thailand and whether Thai politicking will reflect the people's aspirations or become the pretext for selected capitalists to plunder the nation.

Back in September when the military dethroned Thaksin, Sonthi justified his action by promising to smoke out graft violations plaguing the ousted government.

Even though some 13 graft probes have been progressing at a snail's pace, it is becoming increasingly clear that Thaksin and his wife Khunying Pojaman might end up spending their retirement in jail instead of in theluxury accorded to the billionaires' club.

Based on comments relayed by his lawyers and close aides, Thaksin sees himself as a political victim and is determined to put up a rigorous defence to clear his name.

He also appears to harbour hopes of a comeback in order to revive his populist policies as a permanent fixture in Thai politics.

Contrary to his projected image of life in retirement, his actions indicate an active engagement in politics. He and his diehard supporters are busy swaying the public mood.

Unlike other deposed Thai leaders, Thaksin refuses to exit gracefully and quietly. Instead he has opted to fight back by manipulating the court of public opinion to rig due process.

Unfortunately, the tougher a fight he puts up, the stronger the legal measures the junta will slap on him.

After the May 30 verdict to disband the Thai Rak Thai Party, all gloves are off. Thaksin's supporters have launch full-throttled attacks by mobilising street protests against the junta.

In what is seen as a retaliatory move, graft busters have frozen assets worth Bt52 billion belonging to Thaksin, Pojaman and their associates.

The asset-impounding order was justified by the discovery that Bt21 billion of Thaksin's money had vanished without trace.

Sonthi and Thaksin have escalated their power struggle to a point where the two cannot wriggle their way out before annihilating the other.

If Sonthi is to successfully hand power back to the elected government and ensure his safe exit, he cannot afford to have Thaksin remain as a thorn in his side.

Known as a staunch family man, Thaksin realises that his family is on the brink of ruin unless he can obliterate the junta.

Rumours have been spreading in the streets that Thaksin's supporters are determined to provoke the junta to fire a "first shot" to spill blood in the streets, triggering an uprising to topple the military.

Last weekend anti-junta protesters organised a march to test the anti-riot measures. This weekend or the next, protest organisers will likely step up their provocative tactics.

The junta remains upbeat about reining in the protesters on the assumption that authorities can convince key organisers to withdraw from demonstrations. It is pinning its hopes on the sensibility of political activists to put the nation before the fate of Thaksin.

In ancient Rome, crowds cheered on the gladiators and the wounded beasts trying to snuff out one another while their empire was crumbling before their eyes.

Let's hope and pray for Sonthi and Thaksin to finish their endgame without harming the Kingdom.

- The Nation

One question. Many possible answers.

Why did Mr. T announce he was returning?

To fight the ASC freeze of his accounts as stated

To fire up the pro-T rallies

To re-enter politics by a side door

To put pressure on his previous allies not to switch sides

To encourage a counter coup

To encorage an even more hardline coup (leading to bigger demos)

To try to casue chaos

To initiate a popular uprising

To force a delay of the upcoming election

To try for martyrdom

To cut a face to face deal with the Junta or the government

Was it for any of the above or some combination or for a completely different reason?

or was it because he thought the Junta would ban him immediately he announced a return?

Also was his announced return a good tactic by him or not? Was it carefully planned? Was it an act of desperation?

The usual disputes and comments seem to be coming out on here without any real attempt at analysing what is happening although it doesnt look an easy one to call especially with the PM amd Junta apparently unconcerned.

No it certainly is not Canada. It appears you can't put up any kind of intelligent discussion without continually bringing my nationality or where I happen to live at present into the mix. I have business interests in Thailand and also in Canada. My wife and son are Thai. While they happen to live in Canada, Thailand is much more their country than it ever will be yours and you belittle them by attacking our residence at every chance. I don't attack your nationality or where you live or why you live there. You on the other hand probably have nothing useful to do with your time.

1. To fight the ASC freeze of his accounts as stated

2. To fire up the pro-T rallies

3. To re-enter politics by a side door

4. To put pressure on his previous allies not to switch sides

5. To encourage a counter coup

6. To encourage an even more hard-line coup (leading to bigger demos)

7. To try to cause chaos

8. To initiate a popular uprising

9. To force a delay of the upcoming election

10. To try for martyrdom

11. To cut a face to face deal with the Junta or the government

12. Was it for any of the above or some combination or for a completely different reason?

13. To commit suicide in an act of repentance, albeit that is closely related to #10.

Sonthi: Thaksin doesn't dare to come back

Council for National Security chairman Sonthi Boonyaratkalin said Wednesday he doesn't believe ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra will return home to defend his assets now frozen by the order of the Assets Scrutiny Committee. Gen Sonthi reasoned that there are many people who oppose Mr Thaksin, and that the return may put his life in danger. He was responding to Mr Thaksin's legal adviser Noppadon Pattama, who said the decision will force Mr Thaksin to come back quickly to fight the charges.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=119412

=============================

It would pave the way for his followers...

Thaksin's Supporters Threaten To Burn Themselves thread

Edited by sriracha john

7. To try to cause chaos

10. To try for martyrdom

12. Was it for any of the above or some combination or for a completely different reason?

13. To commit suicide in an act of repentance, albeit that is closely related to #11.

Council for National Security chairman Sonthi Boonyaratkalin said Wednesday he doesn't believe ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra will return home to defend his assets now frozen by the order of the Assets Scrutiny Committee. Gen Sonthi reasoned that there are many people who oppose Mr Thaksin, and that the return may put his life in danger. He was responding to Mr Thaksin's legal adviser Noppadon Pattama, who said the decision will force Mr Thaksin to come back quickly to fight the charges.

Continued here:

I think the Chief is trying to break that Toxic ego :o

7. To try to cause chaos

10. To try for martyrdom

13. To commit suicide in an act of repentance, albeit that is closely related to #11.

Continued here:

I think the Chief is trying to break that Toxic ego :o

The Junta certainly seems to have become a lot more aggressive and proactive in dealing with Mr. Thaksin. Before they seemed almost scared of him. Now they seem supremely confident, unworried and willing to not only attack him on every front but also bait him. Conversely Mr. Thaksin has gone from being very confident and aid back and seemingly in control to sounding angry and even desperate. Why the change? There must be something we dont know or aren't seeing.

Interesting that the world press are mostly reporting: "Thaksin free to return Home - Government say he can return" rather than "Thaksin says he will return home without asking the Junta". A small thing but this must be the first time Mr. Thaksin has lost a PR battle to the Junta where the international media are concerned.

so what? Many dictators have been elected ... often it takes real action to dislodge them

Should that action be by an "X" at the ballot box or tanks in the street. Tanks in the street just exchange your dictators. The problem with Tank based dictatorships is, you can't get rid of them unless you get a bigger tank, the "X" does not work in tank based systems.

you need to read up on Thailand's history ... this is NOT Canada :D

No it certainly is not Canada. It appears you can't put up any kind of intelligent discussion without continually bringing my nationality or where I happen to live at present into the mix. I have business interests in Thailand and also in Canada. My wife and son are Thai. While they happen to live in Canada, Thailand is much more their country than it ever will be yours and you belittle them by attacking our residence at every chance. I don't attack your nationality or where you live or why you live there. You on the other hand probably have nothing useful to do with your time.

didn't attack your nationality and haven't mentioned your family :D but feel free to attack mine or where I live (oh yeah ... I live in Thailand!) but please do read up on some Thailand history before making statements like 'unless you get a bigger tank'

I have business interests in Thailand and Canada too! See we have so much in common ... other than me not being a fan of the Thaksin dictatorship, and living in Thailand, which of course gives me access to meeting strangers that happen to be Thai ... from all walks of life ... at all hours of the day and night ....

I know you are feeling the lack of control inherent in losing your role model .... but REALLY ... read some history! and don't just lash out blindly! and since you brought it up .... how long has it been since you were here? over 2 years?

Edited by jdinasia

Sonthi dares Thaksin to return

(BangkokPost.com) - Council for National Security chairman Sonthi Boonyaratkalin said Wednesday he doesn't believe ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra will return home because he could be killed.

Thailand was gripped on Wednesday by speculation on whether the deposed prime minister, who is in London, will return to defend his assets, frozen on Tuesday by the order of the Assets Scrutiny Committee.

well now ........................ :o

Interesting that the world press are mostly reporting: "Thaksin free to return Home - Government say he can return" rather than "Thaksin says he will return home without asking the Junta". A small thing but this must be the first time Mr. Thaksin has lost a PR battle to the Junta where the international media are concerned.

World press is reporting thay way... because the Prime Minister said Thaksin could come back !

So actually, it's another PR winning hand for Thaksin.

The last reaction from Sonthi this morning is pathetic : Council for National Security chairman Sonthi Boonyaratkalin said Wednesday he doesn't believe ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra will return home because he could be killed.

Thaksin can continue to present himself as a victim. Again, the man is -still- not charged, nor convincted. So he's free to come and go.

Edited by cclub75

Let's see the scenario was played out in the other B-republic... The plane lanes, he is met and has a special escot for his safety, then when in gets into his specially designed car, the games begin.... Alright already.. we know.. The M has a major Mojoe for his return and they will only make an honest mistake. He looked like a drug dealer... Too predictable...

Sonthi dares Thaksin to return
(BangkokPost.com) - Council for National Security chairman Sonthi Boonyaratkalin said Wednesday he doesn't believe ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra will return home because he could be killed.

Thailand was gripped on Wednesday by speculation on whether the deposed prime minister, who is in London, will return to defend his assets, frozen on Tuesday by the order of the Assets Scrutiny Committee.

well now ........................ :o

Unfortunately the Junta is not a rudderless boat, it's on full throttle heading for the biggest reef in the ocean... Getting ready to jump ship........

Sonthi says Thaksin could be in danger if he returns

June 13, 2007 : Last updated 04:10 pm (Thai local time)

Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin warned Tuesday that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra could be in danger if he returned to Thailand soon.

Sonthi, chairman of the Council for National Security, said he did believe that Thaksin really wanted to return.

"I think it's politcal ploy. I don't think he will really come back," Sonthi said.

"I believe so because although people love him, many dislike him. He doesn't have to take a risk. If I were rich like him, I would not rush to come back."

The Nation

:o

Where does it all matter? People can talk about this, that and the other upcountry, but it's on the streets of Bangkok where it matters most. Most Bangkokians were glad to see the back of Thaksin, so I don't expect them to welcome him back with open arms.

Is Thaksin coming back to buy cheap air tickets from Khao San Road for all his buddies? Perhaps they will be next. It would be interesting to see all those involved in corruption penalized, although there are probably too many of them to fit in, even on a few wide bodied jumbos.

Oh ... and apparently there's trouble set for this coming Saturday ahead of the 24th June deadline, so get your noodles, bottles of cooking gas and extra drinking water in before the weekend.

Edited by Sunderland

News travels faster and further then ever before .... I heard something to this effect at lunch-time, although the Thai (related to an army officer) who told me suggested that there WOULD be a curfew sooner rather than later. It all seems a bit up in the air at the moment ... almost like a game of chess.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=926102007

Thai army denies curfew rumours after market fall

BANGKOK (Reuters) - The Thai army denied rumours of an impending curfew in the capital on Wednesday after the stock market fell more than 2 percent on fears that a demonstration against September's military coup could turn violent.

"The rally is not escalating to violence yet," said Colonel Sunsern Kaewkumnerd, a spokesman for the Council for National Security, as the coup leaders call themselves. "Bangkok is not under martial law, so we cannot impose curfews," he told Reuters.

The stock market's main SET index was down 2.2 percent at 726.95 points at 0931 GMT, its lowest level since May 30.

The bourse had opened lower due to concerns among investors that the government's decision to permit ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to return from exile to fight graft allegations would cause more political instability.

"There were rumours all around the market, from a possible second coup to an announcement of martial law. Foreign investors were selling due to concerns about the use of martial law," Tisco Securities analyst Viwat Techapoonpol said.

Hundreds of people have gathered outside Bangkok's Grand Palace as part of a prolonged campaign in support of Thaksin and in opposition to the coup.

This article: http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=926102007

I doubt many people in Scotland care, unless Thaksin has changed his strategy and is putting in a multi million pound takeover bid for Falkirk Football Club.

There is about as much chance of me buying a football club in Thailand as there is of Thaksin.

His continued shit publicity stunts using British football clubs is becoming a little boring. I wish the UK Govt would tell him to F Off out of the country.

So we now have the interim PM guaranteeing Thaksin's safety, while the general who removed him in a bloodless coup last year says that ousted Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will not dare to return from exile because he could be assassinated by his opponents. Sounds like they will be fighting over the right to tear him apart soon.

On the one hand, there are those that would like to tease, tickle and then torture him slowly, while the armed forces might just bomb Suwannapoom the moment he steps down on the tarmac.

It gets more and more interesting by the day ...

Thaksin's hiring of Baker Botts seems desperate at best. That's like being kicked by your big brother and running off to ask your friend's mum to tell everyone that you live in a terrible household. Who really cares about Thaksin beyond the borders of Thailand??? Seems like a waste of money to me, especially when the words 'Thaksin' and 'corruption' regularly appear in the same paragraph of the foreign media's reports.

Can't he just invest in something useful with the millions he has left? I don't know ... World Peace or something like that.