Ousted Pm To Come Home

Mid

Prawase warns of violent clash if Thaksin returns

June 14, 2007 : Last updated 06:35 pm (Thai local time)

The country will face political chaos if the government allows deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to return because he could be assassinated, Senior Citizen Prawase Wasi Thursday warned.

"If Thaksin returns, there will be a violent clash. Soldiers will not let Thaksin live if they believe Thaksin is the cause of the chaos and his presence is a threat to the country's institutions. They will kill him. If soldiers want to kill anyone they can because they are competent at using arms," Prawase said.

Prawase said if Thaksin dies, the country will be in for endless trouble and protests because Thaksin has both people who love and hate him.

"The best prevention is not to let him in. If his return could lead to chaos, even though he has the right to return, the government should not allow it," he said.

The Nation

fairly plain english , for a change .................................... :o

Couldn't say it any plainer. You come near here & you'll be shot. I wonder whether he'll call the bluff?

Soundman.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Prawase warns of violent clash if Thaksin returns

June 14, 2007 : Last updated 06:35 pm (Thai local time)

The country will face political chaos if the government allows deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to return because he could be assassinated, Senior Citizen Prawase Wasi Thursday warned.

"If Thaksin returns, there will be a violent clash. Soldiers will not let Thaksin live if they believe Thaksin is the cause of the chaos and his presence is a threat to the country's institutions. They will kill him. If soldiers want to kill anyone they can because they are competent at using arms," Prawase said.

Prawase said if Thaksin dies, the country will be in for endless trouble and protests because Thaksin has both people who love and hate him.

"The best prevention is not to let him in. If his return could lead to chaos, even though he has the right to return, the government should not allow it," he said.

The Nation

fairly plain english , for a change .................................... :o

Couldn't say it any plainer. You come near here & you'll be shot. I wonder whether he'll call the bluff?

Soundman.

the government are afraid of him,to put a statement out like that hes really saying to anyone with a gun kill him we'll turn the other way ,let him in give him top sercurity at his own exspense and give him a fair trail like in any western country,if he does'nt come back he'll never get his money or a chance to clear his name,there being crafty,oh taksins not come back he must be guilty how shall we spend his money :D

Thaksin paid them to say that no doubt, he needs a reason to stay away as we all know.

Perhaps before you you make such a statement, you might want to find out just who this particular senior citizen is.

Edited by blaze

Thaksin paid them to say that no doubt, he needs a reason to stay away as we all know.

Perhaps before you you make such a statement, you might want to find out just who this particular senior citizen is.

Ok I will bite on that. I just can’t help but remember Thaksin’s wonderful courageous comment he was not afraid to die. Several posters have quoted that passage that no doubt some day will end up in one of colpyat’s books. I can’t see what killing Thaksin would accomplish. If the junta want to make an example of him as a warning to future wannabee corrupt politicians, he needs to mingle with the fellows at the Hilton for several years.

However at the moment my thinking is more focused on what he is up to. Apparently when the ruling came down that the TRT his plans to come back in the front door went down the tubes. I have more things to consider before I post on it but it looks like Thaksin’s 'Hail Mary' pass is not to far away. I do see a load of diversions hitting the news so there is a need to look beyond them. For the moment they may be the cheap alternative as compared to funding rallies.

Edited by John K

ive been thinking about this some more and i feel that it is a warning to the public not to create violence.

looking at the scenerio, what does TRT have to gain from these protests? Not much, unless blood is spilt and emotions run high enough to cause tension among certain factions of the government and we find out just how loyal the police are to Thaskin, etc.

these protestors are playing a very dangerous hand and it is seeming more and more likely that thaskin is set on not abandoning ship.

From the polls there is no sense to the rallies. At the moment they are just trying to hit a nerve and get on the coattails. However they don’t know what that nerve is just yet.

From the news that they approached monks to join the rally offering them what they want if they do, sounds like an empty promise from people who have no power. I am waiting for someone to decide some members of the 111 club are in contempt of court. To be banned from politics, this is very political looking to me.

I can see it now... The UN sends peacekeeping troops to Bangkok. The world fears another Rwanda, as the Bangkok Hi-So's in their armour-plated Mercedes are in a stand-off against the invading hoardes from Issan led by legions of taxis and tuk tuks.

Tensions are high at hotel Bangkok where the former PM, flanked by UN Generals negotiates his safety guarantee... to be continued.

good point except that with Bangkok traffic and associated gridlock of napping tuk tuk drivers, i doubt they would ever find each other for the stand off

ive been thinking about this some more and i feel that it is a warning to the public not to create violence.

looking at the scenerio, what does TRT have to gain from these protests? Not much, unless blood is spilt and emotions run high enough to cause tension among certain factions of the government and we find out just how loyal the police are to Thaskin, etc.

these protestors are playing a very dangerous hand and it is seeming more and more likely that thaskin is set on not abandoning ship.

With elections approaching and the court cases stacking up violence is exactly what the PTV boys want. Otherwise dear ex-leader will have a bunch more guilty verdicts against him and there will be a democratic government back in place on the back of a turnout higher than in typical US presidential election. This will only be derailed by a momentous event. The PTV boys would love a police or army overreaction with shooting. To get this they'll probably have to start burning things and storm army HQ. Then again sympathy could easily turn even more against PTV who according to polls have little support now, if they actually start rioting.

By the way, you dont have to talk to too many people to find some who would like to see Mr. T dead. Funny thing to me is that the most vociferous ones I have met in this category are ex-TRT supporters. If he returned it is debatable that it would be the army trying to kill him. Far more likely, with inadequate security an ordinary citizen would cap him.

BURNING ISSUE

Welcome back, if you've got the guts

Former PM faces years of court battles and jail if he has courage to return

The fight-back by ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who vowed to return to Thailand sooner rather than later after his clan's assets were frozen by the Assets Examination Committee (AEC), might just be a knee-jerk reaction.

continues http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/06/15...cs_30036913.php

Political Desk

The Nation

stupidity ,

the country can not afford this .......................

This is starting to feel and sound more like the Philippines. They should have let him come home long ago. What's the old saying "....keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

This has to be the most promising point in Thailand's history for democracy. They have not rolled over to Thaskin or TRT, but have instead stood their ground and declared heroically that justice will prevail.

It is a shame that all of those protesters did not heed the King's advice.

So lets see if his mood changes today with his wife in court and the chance he will be indited.

"The prosecution will today consider whether to indict ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Khunying Potjaman over the Ratchadapisek land purchase deal." Bangkok post

I don’t even know if she is back. Last I heard she left for Singapore on Friday.

Thailand to Charge Thaksin; Former Premier to Return (Update1)

By Anuchit Nguyen

June 18 (Bloomberg) -- Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife will be charged for their involvement in buying land from the central bank, the attorney general said. Thaksin will return to fight the case, his lawyer said.

The charges against Thaksin, 57, and his wife Pojamarn Shinawatra, 50, will be filed in court on June 21, Attorney General y told reporters in Bangkok. The charges against Thaksin would be the first since he was ousted in a September coup.

Last Updated: June 18, 2007 08:15 EDT

Good move and... good timing.

Thaksin will be able to play the "victim". He will arrive, humble, will go to pray in many temple, will make donations to monks, will tell the press that he is so happy to be back in his beloved country, and that he wants to "serve" his fellow people and to fight "injustice"...

His supporters are going to be thrilled.

Sonthi and Surayud seem to be in a trap.

Smooth move by a beloved PM.

Thaksin will be able to play the "victim". He will arrive, humble, will go to pray in many temple, will make donations to monks, will tell the press that he is so happy to be back in his beloved country, and that he wants to "serve" his fellow people and to fight "injustice"...

Funny that most ordinary people in the market where I live are quite vocal that they would like to see him dead. I would seriously doubt that it would be a smooth move or that he would be easily able to walk around in public places like temples without a severe amount of security and restrictions on the public. Beloved is a word usually reserved for a certain other person in Thailand. Even in his up country strongholds where he retains a fair although far lesser than before degree of support the word beloved is not exactly what one hears from even quite ardent supporters.

Thai police order Thaksin return

Tuesday, 19 June 2007, 07:51 GMT 08:51 UK

Thailand's ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra has been ordered to appear before police in Bangkok next week to face corruption charges.

Thai police have charged Mr Thaksin and his wife with secretly concealing assets in a property company owned by his family.

Police said Mr Thaksin could face arrest if he does not show up.

He is currently living abroad, after his government was toppled in a military coup last September

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/06/19...es_30037259.php

When will these cowardly generals leave the poor Shinawatra family alone to enjoy their billions of ill-gotten gains.

Why, even today poor Potjaman is in Singapore crying that she has a headache and high blood pressure. Judgement day is nigh.

Some of the millions who believe in the divinity of your husband are among those poor praying for more handouts from you and Mr.T.

You will get what you deserve since you are a good Buddhist. :o

Exiled PM and his wife have to be present to receive charges on SC Asset : DSI

Tue, June 19, 2007 : Last updated 16:07 pm (Thai local time)

Exiled prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife, Pojaman, have to be present to receive the formal charges on alleged share concealment in the case linking British Virgin Islands-registered Win Mark with his family's property company, SC Asset.

Department of Special Investigation (DSI)'s chief Sunai Manomai-udom said that Thaksin, Pojaman, and Busaba Damapong, were asked to report themselves with DSI between June 26-29.

continues http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/06/19...es_30037267.php

Well now it gets good. In the next ten days Thaksin will show his true colors to the world, he has no choice. If he does not show up any support he had will melt like cotton candy leaving only sticky fingers. I don’t expect thaksin to ever set foot in Thailand again willingly unless he has some deal. However when faced with judges who have had more than one chat with HRH, that is a long shot. The only other card is the coup card, but I think that card is not as strong as it was a few months ago. Expect Thaksin to push for unrest and that may include more bombs.

Come back, you'll be safe : Surayud

Tue, June 19, 2007 : Last updated 20:11 pm (Thai local time)

Thai government guarantees safety for deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra if he decides to return to Thailand to fight embezzlement and corruption charges, Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said Tuesday.

continues http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/06/19...es_30037283.php

3RingCircusWEB.jpg

Surayud said it will be good if Thaksin contacted the government before returning to Thailand.

Well now it gets good. In the next ten days Thaksin will show his true colors to the world, he has no choice. If he does not show up any support he had will melt like cotton candy leaving only sticky fingers. I don’t expect thaksin to ever set foot in Thailand again willingly unless he has some deal.

Don't expect him home anytime soon. According to the latest news reports, he has more important things to do... like spending up to 7 billion baht to buy the Manchester City football club:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1370941

He'll grace us with his presence only after completing the complicated business dealings.

Funny that most ordinary people in the market where I live are quite vocal that they would like to see him dead. I would seriously doubt that it would be a smooth move or that he would be easily able to walk around in public places like temples without a severe amount of security and restrictions on the public. Beloved is a word usually reserved for a certain other person in Thailand. Even in his up country strongholds where he retains a fair although far lesser than before degree of support the word beloved is not exactly what one hears from even quite ardent supporters.

A thousand apologies for using a "reserved" word. Perhaps you can suggest a more suitable expression -- and while you're at it, write to the Washington Post and explain to them that they're using the wrong terminology.

505vrz9.jpg

6ftbn9f.jpg

If our English lessons have concluded, let's see what the New York Times has to say:

Thai Government Orders Ousted Leader to Return to Face Charges

BANGKOK — Thailand’s military government on Tuesday ordered Thaksin Shinawatra, the man it ousted from power, to return to the country by June 29 or face arrest on charges of concealing assets.

Citing what was described as evidence that Mr. Thaksin, the former prime minister, and his wife had secretly and illegally held stock in a real estate company, Sunai Manomaiudom, the director general of a special investigative branch of the police, said that Mr. Thaksin, his wife and a relative must return by that date.

“If they don’t show up, I will consider issuing an arrest warrant,” Mr. Sunai said, the Thai news media reported. “And if they still don’t come, I may have to issue a crossborder warrant.”

Mr. Thaksin’s lawyer, Noppadol Pattama, said in a telephone interview that his client was “prepared to comply with any warrant” and that a team of Mr. Thaksin’s lawyers would meet Wednesday to assess the police demand.

Mr. Noppadol said Mr. Thaksin, who lives in London, was concerned for his safety and would seek guarantees before considering returning to Thailand.

“If you need justice but you don’t have safety, what would be the point?” he said.

Surayud Chulanont, whom the military appointed as prime minister, was quoted Tuesday by Thai news outlets as saying that Mr. Thaksin’s safety would be assured. But the general who led the coup against Mr. Thaksin last September, Sonthi Boonyaratglin, and other members of the junta have repeatedly said Mr. Thaksin could be in danger if he returned.

Pallop Pinmanee, a retired general who was appointed in May as the junta’s security adviser, laughed when asked by telephone on Tuesday whether Mr. Thaksin’s safety would be assured.

“How can I guarantee that for him?” he asked.

*see related posts*

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1370991 and

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1371044

Thitinan Pongsudhirak, director of the Institute of Security and International Studies at Chulalongkorn University, doubted that Mr. Thaksin would return and said that the true intent of the junta was probably to discredit him in the eyes of his supporters.

“This will be used as a tool to convince Mr. Thaksin’s foot soldiers that, ‘Look, he is a bad guy,’ ” Mr. Thitinan said.

Over the past three weeks the junta has sought to dismantle Mr. Thaksin’s political empire, dissolving his party, barring him and more than 100 of his allies from politics for five years and freezing more than $1.6 billion in bank accounts belonging to him and his relatives.

Mr. Thaksin’s allies have promised weekly protests to combat the junta and have sought to form another political party. A protest on Friday drew crowds, but a gathering on Saturday fizzled in a rainstorm.

A spokesman from Interpol, the international police agency based in Lyon, France, said Thailand could issue an “international red notice,” which is effectively a wanted list for crime suspects.

“These requests are assessed by our office of legal affairs to make sure they meet the criteria set in our rules and regulations,” the spokesman said.

But if Mr. Thaksin remains in Britain, which has strict extradition procedures, he is unlikely to be ordered back to Thailand soon, analysts said.

- New York Times