Can we ever rely on high season weather again?

webfact

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The sceptic will argue that anything we do could not possibly influence the climate, or effect the atmosphere. The planet is simply too large, and the population is too small to have any effect. Let the ships dump whatever they want into the ocean. The ocean is simply too large for anything we do to damage it. 

This frees them to buy as many plastic bottles as they please, drive filthy diesel vehicles, and behave as if nothing effects anything. 

It's not us. It is just a cycle. We are not responsible. 

Some of them might, but sensible people understand that everything is connected to some degree and therefore the total of mankind's activities, such as deforestation, the creation of concrete jungles (cities, roads and urban areas), and the emissions of CO2, have at least some effect on the climate.

I certainly think we should take better care of our environment and spend more money on recycling waste products, reducing the emission of real pollutants, and penalize those who discard their trash into the sea, rivers and environment.
The great mistake we're making is attributing the cause of normal changes in climate and extreme weather events to our CO2 emissions.

CO2 is one of the essential gases for life to exist. Most plants thrive on increased CO2 levels. Satellite studies by NASA have revealed that during the past 35 years, whilst CO2 levels have been increasing, the increase in the amount of greening of the planet is equivalent to an area twice the size of the USA.

The increase in the food crops, world-wide, attributable to the increases in atmospheric CO2 is worth billions of dollars.
Warming is generally good. The reduced number of people who die from extreme cold, as a result of global warming, is far greater than the increased number of people who die from an increase in heat waves.

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

Reality - in the 12 years i have lived in Thailand, this is at least the 3rd time we have had a prolonged cold spell in February. No other month in my experience has prolonged cold periods, only 2-3 days at most. In fact, the lowest temperature record for Isaan was set during the last few years in February; if i remember that time the cloudy weather lasted 2 weeks.

What has been changing is the rainfall pattern and the end of most of the cool nights in the dry season. Watching Thais warm themselves in the morning by a roadside fire just doesn't seem to happen anymore. The tropics have seen little impact from global warming, mainly impacts the temperate and polar regions.

That doesn't match my experience. I recall Dec and Jan, particularly December, being far worse. And the data backs me up. At least, for Chiang Mai.

average temperature, Chiang Mai

https://en.climate-data.org/asia/thailand/chiang-mai-province/chiang-mai-1779/#temperature-graph

Both months are colder on average than February. It's exceedingly unlikely that on the one hand, February is warmer on average than Dec and Jan, but has longer cold streaks.

Of course, where you're located, it may be different.

15 hours ago, Kiwithl said:

Vapid article. I like that.

Many vapid articles on Asean Now lately.

Reflective of not only the base venue, but also the contributing posters. 

Been of this general nature for quite some time. 

21 hours ago, timendres said:

Weather patterns are just that - patterns.

Guess what? They change from time to time.

I live in Chiang Rai, possibly the epicentre of the annual smoke armageddon, which in the decades I've lived here has been getting worse year on year. . .  and now we have 2022, in which the 'dry season', ordinarily tinder dry without a drop until April, has given us so much rain the smoke season is going to be skipped altogether this year. It's clear to me something is wrong with the weather. Don't get me wrong, no one is as happy as me to skip the smoke, and I love the rain, but something is out of kilter.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

On 2/21/2022 at 7:24 AM, webfact said:

The impacts of climate change are already evident around the world. 

Thailand, as part of the Mekong River Basin, is struggling to deal with these impacts, which result in part from ecological pressures introduced by large hydropower dams, deforestation, coastal erosion, and urbanization.

In Southeast Asia, Jakarta and Bangkok are sinking fast. 

Isn't that misinformation? It's implying that the cities are suffering from climate change when SINKING is obviously nothing to do with climate change. In the case of Bkk, it's apparently because too much water is being extracted from below ground.

Well, we get all sorts of climate change news stories, and some countries like Canada are

taxing their populations with a carbon tax. All the tax does is make everyone poorer.

The money from this tax does nothing to change the CO2 in the air. Countries like China, Russia, and likely even

the USA do not seem to be taxing their people. I wonder if the Middle East another oil producing region

taxes their people?  I do hope that from November to February, the weather stays a bit cooler than

March or April, as the heat is what chases me back to Spring weather in Canada.

Good luck to you drenched people of February. Hope you do not get much hail in those storms.