Taking a night sleep train against plane travel in Vietnam

ASEAN NOW News

Vietnam offers excellent air travel connections and many locals, as well as tourists, tend to use them almost the same as just jumping on a bus.

However, as many a traveler will tell you, taking an overnight train in Asia can be quite an adventure and cheaper.

Overnight trains can be a favorite means of covering long distances because they are usually friendlier, cost less, and are usually more comfortable than taking long road trips being cramped in a small car or bus.

Being close up with a full airplane can also assist the spread of viruses, whereas by booking a private compartment on a train allows for social distancing too.

The other advantage is that you get to stretch your legs out and get a good night’s sleep in exchange for just a little bit more than you would pay for a hostel or budget hotel.

That said, it helps if you are open to surprises and do not easily get irritated by minor unexpected events.

It is all a part of the ‘travel in Asia’ experience and best taken with a pinch of salt.

Penang to Bangkok

With very fond memories of my excellent overnight trip from Penang to Bangkok, where I had a queen size bed, I decided to jump on a sleep train again.

When my son came to visit me in Thailand, we flew into Danang for a few days by the beach before heading to HCMC.

We decided to take an overnight AC soft sleeper train from Danang departing in the late evening and arrived in HCMC the next morning.

I must admit the actual accommodation was a bit of a letdown compared to the crisp white sheets on my Thai sleeper.

Here they supplied a rather old blanket, and the pillow was extremely uncomfortable.

That said the scenery after sunrise as the train ran along the coastline was fascinating.

We of course also saved on overnight accommodation, however arriving so early in HCMC meant we could not check in to our hotel for several hours.

I am sure there may be certain trains that provide a higher standard of service in Vietnam, so perhaps this was just one of those old carriages.

Keep checking and researching

Overnight-sleeper-train-Vietnam.jpg.87db2e2eb491776199804179dd2d5c38.jpg

Apparently, Vietnam Railways has six overnight trains departing Ho Chi Minh City between 7.30 pm and 10.30 pm and arriving in Nha Trang early the next morning.

The Saigon Golden Train and Livitrans Express from Ho Chi Minh City to Nha Trang depart at 8.30 pm and get to Nha Trang at 5.30 am the following morning.

Ideally, you need to complete your research before heading to the station.

The best bet is to check out this great website on train travel all over the world simple called Seat 61.

Here is their link to their train tips and information for Vietnam https://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm.

Vietnam-5star-soft-sleeper.jpg.7b72f57e31bdd530c543ed285eadf2d2.jpg

Their website states that 2-berth VIP soft sleepers on trains SE1 & SE2: 

Soft sleepers usually have 4-berths per compartment, but since 2018 a couple of the most modern soft sleeper cars on trains SE1 & SE2 have two 2-berth VIP sleeper compartments, with two lower berths.

The fare includes non-alcoholic drinks and meals, served in your compartment. The fare is around 2,864,000 dong per person.

With only four such compartments on the whole train (just eight beds) you need to book early.

Would be also very helpful if you can share any recent travel tips on your own train experiences in Vietnam as well.

Join our 3 x a week Vietnam News, Travel and Expat information newsletter and keep up to date. https://aseannow.com/newsletter.php

Don’t bother. Backpackers only.

Took the night train from Hoi An to Da Nang pre COVID. Shared a 4 berth compartment. We were lucky. Just one other who was good company. Unlike the next compartment. A noisy Vietnamese family had taken it over and 2 tourists had to share with them.

The 1 toilet in the carriage was filthy and the buffet carriage was like a Wild West Saloon.

Long and boring journey. 
Never again. Sod the environment. Fly

If you still interested check out ‘ Seat61 ‘ website.

• Like 1