Another poured concrete question

SprintSt

New member here. I've searched but any info I find is inapplicable or outdated.

Planning to build an Adobe house (mud blocks) on a poured slab with stem walls near Mae Sot. I know next to nothing about concrete.

How thick should the slab be and what thickness rebar is my question to those in the know. Thanks.

14 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Google have concrete calculation sites usually 15 cm is adequate.

Ours was OTT and a hand constructed rebar reinforced framework with a 20 cm thick slap on consolidated ground.

Thanks Kwasaki. No problem with finding calculation sites. I typically overbuild so 20cm sounds appropriate.

2 hours ago, bluejets said:

Look in Crossy's house plans (Thai free plans) as they should have details on floor thickness etc. etc. 

Usual for many is 100mm 20mpa. with underfloor beams as appropriate for single level.

Thanks for the info. I saw a link to Crossy's house plans but it was broken. Said the address is available to buy.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, SprintSt said:

Thanks Kwasaki. No problem with finding calculation sites. I typically overbuild so 20cm sounds appropriate.

I did a thicker slab because we put 2m high fill in and although we le:t it for a year and got heavy bulldozer running up and down on it we still put a grid of beams and the slab was poured on top of them. 

If the the ground had not been infilled I wouldn't of bothered with the beams. 

The other thing the OP might want to know is cure time for optimum strength. Cover the pour with wet sacking, and allow to stay undisturbed for three days. Keep wet. Then remove the sacking, and allow to dry.

Carbon dioxide in the air reacts with calcium hydroxide in the wet cement. It's also known as slaked lime. That's where the bond strength of the cured concrete comes from.

The normal proportions for concrete are 4 parts of stone, 2 parts of sand, and one of cement. Good quality water should be used to avoid rebar corrosion, which will occur if the chloride content of the water is too high.

Corrosion of rebar results in spalling. At best, spalling is ugly. At worst, it is a risk to structural integrity.

Edited by Lacessit