Driving to Kanchanaburi advice.

merijn

I'm planning to drive from Phuket to Kachanaburi next month.

I will probable stay overnight somewhere around Prachuap.

Any advice for this trip about the roads and other things to be careful of as i never drove towards Bangkok from Phuket.

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It's a nice & easy drive once on the mainland.  12 ish hours, so you may want to do 2 overnights, or more.  I've done it numerous times, to/from Phuket, starting at Udon Thani, Krung Thep, and more recently from Prachuap KK.

Roads are excellent, with a few rough patches and probably a few stretches of construction / maintenance along the way.  Once above Chumphon, there aren't any alternative routes.  Maintaining speed limit of 90-120 shouldn't be a problem.  Inter-province roads do cut through municipalities, so you'll have cross traffic and traffic lights along, if not familiar with highway driving here.

I prefer 4118 over 415, and timewise, about the same, as they run fairly parallel to each other.  Allow more time if you can, as it really is a lovely drive, until you get pass Prachuap KK, municipality.

Thanks for the advice, After living here over 33 years driving is not a issue ???? but I never did drive to Kachanaburi.

We are planning to do 1 stop as we don't have to much time unfortunately.

I've done this once a year for the past 4 years.   First year I stopped at Hua Hin, but subsequent years I did it in one hitch.   I leave around 4 a.m. so no Phuket traffic and quiet all the way to Surat Thani  and getting on Hwy 4.    Journey takes around 12 hours with regular stops.  Avoid Ranong at all costs (either going or returning).   Nightmare road between Chumphon and Ranong, and just as bad until you get past Khao Lak.

19 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Last time I went the Ranong route, hwy #4, (Chumphon/Ranong/Phuket) 16 March 2021, it was quite nice, excellent road, and no problems or issues.

For me November 2021, returning from Kan.   Flooding on Hwy 4 meant a diversion to Ranong.   Nightmare, heavy rain and little chance of overtaking on virtually all single carriageway road.

4 hours ago, merijn said:

towards Bangkok from Phuket.

Nice drive despite lots of construction here and there.

Take your time and enjoy the trip.

Hua Hin will be a nice rest stop.  Maybe spend two or three nights there if you're not in a hurry.

Enjoy your trip!

19 minutes ago, Postmaster said:

Take your insect repellant if you are going to Kanchanaburi.  Lots of mosquitoes generated from the River Kwai. (Not its proper name).

This is where I normally stay when in Kan, with my room right on the river.   Never had a problem with mosquitos.   Another photo of my favourite restaurant there, about 5km outside Kan, again right on the river.

20211110_061551.jpg

20211109_172518.jpg

On 2/22/2022 at 3:39 PM, KhunLA said:

Last time I went the Ranong route, hwy #4, (Chumphon/Ranong/Phuket) 16 March 2021, it was quite nice, excellent road, and no problems or issues.

via Ranong adds about an hour to the drive>
its about 7-8 hours to Cha Am, next day ur there
stay on the river

On 2/22/2022 at 12:50 PM, merijn said:

Thanks for the advice, After living here over 33 years driving is not a issue ???? but I never did drive to Kachanaburi.

We are planning to do 1 stop as we don't have to much time unfortunately.

Just drove from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi and back for lunch today.  Easy drive; no problems.

Have driven BKK - Phuket & vice versa many times.  About 12 hours one way. I usually drive it in 1 day with no overnight stop. Start at 6 am; arrive at 6 pm - easy.  If you have limited time, why stop?

Good luck,

Don

• Like 1

8 hours ago, donmuang37 said:

Just drove from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi and back for lunch today.  Easy drive; no problems.

Have driven BKK - Phuket & vice versa many times.  About 12 hours one way. I usually drive it in 1 day with no overnight stop. Start at 6 am; arrive at 6 pm - easy.  If you have limited time, why stop?

Good luck,

Don

Good question but as I'm driving with 3 chatting woman in my car I will be happy to have a overnight stop i guess ????