Questions about Covid Extension

German national, entered Dec 2021 on tourist visa 60 days, currently on 30 days regular extension (see my report a month ago).

I want to spend another 60 days on Covid Extension. Here what I have gathered, correct me if I'm wrong.

For tourist visa holders, Government Complex in Chaeng Wattana is the place to go for both regular and Covid extension.

Whereas for visa free entry, Mueang Thong Thani for both regular and Covid extension (this fact is often lost in reports).

No need for 90 day reporting because the extension (i.e. my presence at Immigration Office) counts as report?

I'm going to Pattaya next week, is it better to get the extension in Bangkok (Chaeng Wattana) or Pattaya (Jomtien)?

I certainly want to avoid 'under consideration' and getting extension counting from the day of application (I go two weeks before expiry), how to do? Any recent experience?

I will bring TM.30 (even though it was not required for regular extension), but I have no health insurance and no flight out of Thailand. That was no problem for regular extension, will it be for Covid extension?

All links to the affidavit on Aseannnow and Thethaiger are broken, but the forms are available at immigration?

Nonetheless, I would like to have a look at the form in advance, can someone post a working link?

No letter from embassy required any more?

Edited by ChristianPFC

You should be able to do so at CW in Bangkok. It should be the same in Jomtien.

Affidavit will be provided. I don't have the link, but others may be able to provide it.

Health insurance or flight out of Thailand should not be required (flight out has been in the past at CW according to reports). An ATK Covid test may be required to enter the immigration office though.

In practice, 90 day report is for anyone staying in the country for up to 90 days, but others will confirm if you have to do it or not.

Please let us know how your extension went, it may help others.

I'm only going to address immigration for Bangkok (CW & MTT), as that's the office my friends and I all deal with.

8 hours ago, ChristianPFC said:

For tourist visa holders, Government Complex in Chaeng Wattana is the place to go for both regular and Covid extension.

Correct.

Whereas for visa free entry, Mueang Thong Thani for both regular and Covid extension (this fact is often lost in reports).

Correct.

No need for 90 day reporting because the extension (i.e. my presence at Immigration Office) counts as report?

Correct.  When you do a Covid extension, they'll also give you a NEW receipt for your next 90 day report which is... 90 days later from the day you got the extension.

I'm going to Pattaya next week, is it better to get the extension in Bangkok (Chaeng Wattana) or Pattaya (Jomtien)?

CW is better IMO.  BUT....  If you are staying at a hotel, ask the hotel for a copy of the screen showing they submitted the TM30 form within 24 hours of your checking in.  If you're staying at an AirBNB, make sure the host did the TM30 and bring proof.  If you're staying in an apartment, get it from the landlord.

A lot of people over the past month or two have been asked for proof that a TM30 was filed.  So be prepared with that proof.

I certainly want to avoid 'under consideration' and getting extension counting from the day of application (I go two weeks before expiry), how to do? Any recent experience?

CW has been giving out extensions, not "under consideration" stamps.  And those extensions are days added on to the end of your current extension.  So if you go to CW with 20 days still left on your current extension, you should leave with a total of 80 days.  (20 days left + 60 additional days = 80 days)

I will bring TM.30 (even though it was not required for regular extension), but I have no health insurance and no flight out of Thailand. That was no problem for regular extension, will it be for Covid extension?

Good!  I assume you mean proof of the already filed TM30 and not the TM30 forms to file.  BUT... If you were given the forms to file by a landlord, you'll need to go to MTT and get it filed first (2nd floor, same room as the 90 day reports, but a different/much shorter line).  You could be fined for late reporting.

Another option if you don't want to mess with MTT is to stay at a hotel in Bangkok the night before.  They'll do a TM30 and you can get a print from them (basically a print of a screenshot) showing they filed it.  (Hotels like to do the TM30 reporting in one big batch of all new check-ins at the end of the evening, but if you explain the need for proof for Immigration, they'll hopefully be willing to do yours on the spot.)

The proof of flight out has sometimes been asked for at CW when doing covid extensions, but not always.  I think they recently stopped asking for them.  Insurance has never been asked for, as I think that's a requirement only to enter Thailand and now that you're here.... ????

All links to the affidavit on Aseannnow and Thethaiger are broken, but the forms are available at immigration?

I've been wondering about the increased number of broken links to publically available forms and documents!  Even links to official announcements published in the official Thai government Gazette have in recent days become broken on this and other sites.  Very strange!

The documents you will need will all be given to you by CW immigration.  In fact, if you bring the forms found online, they'll give you new ones to fill out.  My best guess is they want their "official" forms used because they're printed on thinner paper and take less space to store them.

Oh hell, what am I saying!  They want you to use their "official" forms because it's more of a hassle for you!

Nonetheless, I would like to have a look at the form in advance, can someone post a working link?

No letter from embassy required any more?

I believe this is the form you're talking about (see images below).  Not a great copy and it may have changed since I first saw it.  ALSO SEE PAGES 3 & 4 of the attached pdf, which you may be given at CW.  (I believe you write "Covid" on the blank line where it says "for the reason of............" 

Good luck, and I hope you'll let us know how it goes and give an update if any of the information above has changed!

image.thumb.png.6bb79b99beed2e47167ce2d7e73ed528.png

image.png.54011a5d41fbcef4db077e095efcfdee.png

1d แบบฟอร์ม ตม.7 , สตม.2.pdf

• Like 2

I went today. MRT to Chatuchak, van number 10 (destinations only in Thai) for 26 THB to Goverment Complex entrance, free shuttle.

Get TM.7 from information, but even after asking for affidavit I didn't get one. Did others get the affidavit at information or from officer? Fill out forms, get queue number 10:41. Lunch break 12-13, my number is called 14:01.

Before even opening my passport (How did they know I'm here for Covid extension? Because they saw the 60 days on the form?), the lady tells me the extension will be valid from today. My current stay expires on 9 Mar, and I want to spend another 60 days in Thailand and then return to Germany, so I told them I will come back on 8 Mar. Officer asked for TM.30. I had a screenshot (i.e. I took a optical picture of my landlord's computer screen when she registered me), but she said I should print it out when I come back.

By chance, it was the same counter, but I don't remember if the same officer, as my 30 day extension a month ago (did not ask for TM.30).

The reason the extension starts from the day I apply is because it's a change from tourist visa to Covid extension, the officer said. A knowledgeable friend said the first Covid extension is from day of application, all further extensions are added to the end of permission to stay.

I want to maximize my time in Thailand, better to spend another day going to Immigration and getting two weeks more. On the other hand I like to do things well in advance, but that did not work out in this case. If going one day before expiry does not work (e.g. if they insist on an embassy letter), I will be in a rush to leave the country!

Bus 66 (Southern Bus Station - Government Complex) and 166 (Victory Monument - Government Complex - Muang Thong Thani) now pass right in front. Frequency between 20 and 40 minutes between busses.

I should have asked for another set of forms at information, so I can fill them out in the comfort of my home and save time in CW!

Edited by ChristianPFC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChristianPFC said:

I went today. MRT to Chatuchak, van number 10 (destinations only in Thai) for 26 THB to Goverment Complex entrance, free shuttle.

Get TM.7 from information, but even after asking for affidavit I didn't get one. Did others get the affidavit at information or from officer? Fill out forms, get queue number 10:41. Lunch break 12-13, my number is called 14:01.

Before even opening my passport (How did they know I'm here for Covid extension? Because they saw the 60 days on the form?), the lady tells me the extension will be valid from today. My current stay expires on 9 Mar, and I want to spend another 60 days in Thailand and then return to Germany, so I told them I will come back on 8 Mar. Officer asked for TM.30. I had a screenshot (i.e. I took a optical picture of my landlord's computer screen when she registered me), but she said I should print it out when I come back.

By chance, it was the same counter, but I don't remember if the same officer, as my 30 day extension a month ago (did not ask for TM.30).

The reason the extension starts from the day I apply is because it's a change from tourist visa to Covid extension, the officer said. A knowledgeable friend said the first Covid extension is from day of application, all further extensions are added to the end of permission to stay.

I want to maximize my time in Thailand, better to spend another day going to Immigration and getting two weeks more. On the other hand I like to do things well in advance, but that did not work out in this case. If going one day before expiry does not work (e.g. if they insist on an embassy letter), I will be in a rush to leave the country!

Bus 66 (Southern Bus Station - Government Complex) and 166 (Victory Monument - Government Complex - Muang Thong Thani) now pass right in front. Frequency between 20 and 40 minutes between busses.

I should have asked for another set of forms at information, so I can fill them out in the comfort of my home and save time in CW!

Thanks for the report, I hope it all works out for you.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ChristianPFC said:

The extension replaces 90-day-reporting, I got a paper stapled in my passport with date for 90-day-

reporting stamped in.

Congratulations!

The paper stapled in your passport is the 90 day report receipt.   Probably has a notice that you need to report again in 90 days (even though you only have a 60 day visa extension).  If they're still offering covid extensions in 60 days and you decide to extend again, they'll do another 90 day report as a part of the extension.  Yes, things here can be that ridiculously silly sometimes.

Also, if they offer covid extensions past March 26th, you can go up to 30 days before the end of your current extension to get it.  The 2nd covid extension will add 60 days to your current extension (it won't start the day you apply).  So if you apply 30 days before the end of your current extension, you would leave immigration with a new extension date 90 days out.  No real rhyme or reason why they couldn't do that for the 1st extension.  Just more of the that ridiculous silliness.

• Like 1