Expired ID good enough for train ticket?

Hal65

I have a Thai DL, expired in 2018.

I have a US DL, expired in 2016.

My passport (current) is at immigration.

I have to take a train up north. Probably a sleeper 1st or 2nd class. They will definitely ask for ID.

Is expired good enough? I have no current IDs available due to all this. Just passbooks and debit cards (thai).

*Note: In other circumstances (bank tellers mostly) I have successfully used an expired ID. But, I have also been turned down once.

4 hours ago, bbko said:

How long does immigration hang onto a passport at most? A day or two?

Immigration may sometimes hold onto your passport overnight at some offices. "Immigration holding the passport for a long time" means that you are using an agent who is holding the passport, but may have told you it is in the possession of immigration.

22 hours ago, treetops said:

The ID is usually required to buy the ticket.

Oh, pretty safe then IMO. I have never had them glance that hard at ID.

Actually I think this is not right, I don't recall being asked for ID at Pattaua Nua. I do remember them asking in Vientiane for an international bus trip.

22 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Oh, pretty safe then IMO. I have never had them glance that hard at ID.

Actually I think this is not right, I don't recall being asked for ID at Pattaua Nua. I do remember them asking in Vientiane for an international bus trip.

You might be right at Nua for Roong Reuang as I don't remember being asked there or at Ekamai for the return to Pattaya, however I've been asked at several others like Nakhonchaiair and 407 Pattana on Sukhumvit, Sri Mongkol on Third Road, Sombat in Udon Thani and GreenBus in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai amongst others, and many train stations too.

• Like 1

What happens if you get stopped "up north" by the police without your passport ?

If you tell them it's with immigration, they may ask which one and check, esp if you're involved in an incident, accidental or otherwise.

On 2/23/2022 at 5:14 AM, BritTim said:

It is better to avoid agents who hang onto your passport for long periods for just this kind of reason.

My agent returns passport same or day after. That is standard I believe.

My current passport  is photocopied showing ID and Visa page and reduced to credit card size. This always accepted. Perhaps the OP should do the same.