RT PCR test available in Thailand

PhineusFreek

I think you will find that all available PCR tests are RT-PCR.  There are plenty of labs and hospitals in Thailand that carry out such tests. If you're in Thailand now just Google it.  I'm not there so Google doesn't list them as readily and I don't have time to look through them all.  Depending on where you are costs that I've seen start at 1200 baht up to 4000 baht. I believe they are readily available in Bangkok for 2100.

By the way - nothing obscure about the Vietnamese government wanting an RT-PCR - most governments that require a PCR want an RT-PCR - including Thailand.  If you're returning to Thailand you will need an RT-PCR test for your Thailand Pass.

i'm not sure where you are but i got one at wellmed clinic on sukumvit btwn soi 23 and 25.  i think it was 3,000thb but i'm not sure, i got it back in sept so my memory has faded a bit.  no need for an appt.  i believe you could get same day results if you went before 9am.

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I think you will find that all available PCR tests are RT-PCR.  There are plenty of labs and hospitals in Thailand that carry out such tests. If you're in Thailand now just Google it.  I'm not there so Google doesn't list them as readily and I don't have time to look through them all.  Depending on where you are costs that I've seen start at 1200 baht up to 4000 baht. I believe they are readily available in Bangkok for 2100.

By the way - nothing obscure about the Vietnamese government wanting an RT-PCR - most governments that require a PCR want an RT-PCR - including Thailand.  If you're returning to Thailand you will need an RT-PCR test for your Thailand Pass.

You do not need the RT PCR test for the Thailand pass. The TP is applied for and QR code issued long before you get the PCR test which has to be within 72hours of departure. 

That test result must be shown at checkin and again on arrival in Bangkok.

Please check your facts before posting!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

You do not need the RT PCR test for the Thailand pass. The TP is applied for and QR code issued long before you get the PCR test which has to be within 72hours of departure. 

That’s true… but I think he meant ‘a Covid-19 RT-PCR negative certificate test is needed to return’… 

This thread is about departure anyway. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PhineusFreek said:

Is this type of test available in Thailand and what is the cost?

Just tell where you stay and when and from which airport you will go.

Might result in more precise hints.

Too many locations that offer RT-PCR with certificate.

5 hours ago, orchidfan said:

Picky picky.

OK, you do not have to have the negative RT-PCR result to actually apply for a Thailand Pass but IT IS obe of the requirements - I quote:

Obtain a negative COVID-19 test result (RT-PCR), issued within 72 hours before travel.

RT-PCR result must be negative or not detected

If RT-PCR result is positive or detected then a recovery certificate or proof of covid recovery for at least 14 days before travelling but less than 90 days from the first date of detection is required

https://tp.consular.go.th/en/plan

Therefore the RT-PCR test is part of the process.

Try getting into Thailand without one clever cloggs.

Edited by KhaoYai

19 minutes ago, PhineusFreek said:

And before entering Thailand I need to get a PCR test negative ized? Is that 72 hours before boarding the plane or 72 hours before crossing the immigration line in Bangkok?

It is within 72 hours before boarding your first flight.

23 minutes ago, PhineusFreek said:

And what happens if I test positive on day one with the test and go? Let's say I am asymptomatic do I still have to go to quarantine in an expensive hospital? And the de 5 self test is that regulated in any way or is that just more bumf?

You will face some form of quarantine but there are differing views on what that will be. Some say hospital, some say at your hotel or if you have a home in Thailand, at your home.  Until there is an official, published,  announcement on that, I would prepare for the worst but hope for the best.

Details of the Day 5 test from 1 March have not been officially announced yet but it is believed that it will be the same as last year - you are given the test kit by your Day 1 hotel.  Whether it will be 'regulated' or not? Who knows?  I spoke to several people last year who never did their second test (antigen) but you should not rely on that.

1 hour ago, PhineusFreek said:

thank you for your invaluable feedback. were there any repercussions for those several people?

From the ones I know, no, they simply left at the end of their stay as normal.  As I posted in another thread, I was unable to upload my Day 7 PCR test result during my last visit and nobody contacted me.

However, I would not rely on that.  Its just not worth the risk - I'm not sure what would happen if you were caught having not reported your test results but I suspect you could be deported. Remember, nobody gets deported immediately, they spend time in a Thai immigration jail first - and they are not known for their 4* facilities.

The problem with the Antigen tests last year appears to have been a lack of training on the part of the hotels - they simply handed test kits to guests when they checked out and failed to tell them what to do with them.  Clearly, the system (if any) for checking that those visitors had carried out their tests and reported them wasn't working but I wouldn't rely on that.

Edited by KhaoYai