Is It Possible To Start A New School Halfway Through The Year?

UKJASE

Hi Guys, 

my girlfriend is bringing her 6 year old son down from Issan to Hua Hin to live with us soon, and the most practical time to bring him is september. 

She is worried that the school year is already well underway then, and that her son may not be allowed to join the school at that time, or will be put back a year.

Does anyone know what the rules are for starting in a new school?  Is it acceptable for him to start at school, even when the school year is only half way through?  We hope to bring him in time for the start of the second term, which starts september i believe

????  I don't know the answers but as a student they should have the financial upper hand these days of decreased population - many schools are folding due to lack of students from my understanding.  But if she is worried would think now might be a more practical time.  Especially with a ring post within minutes.  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

????  I don't know the answers but as a student they should have the financial upper hand these days of decreased population - many schools are folding due to lack of students from my understanding.  But if she is worried would think now might be a more practical time.  Especially with a ring post within minutes.  

yea........ sh*t gets serious this year ????

In a 17 yr. teaching career in Thailand, I can remember it happening twice, and there may have been more.  He will need an interim report card from the old school if leaving at a non-standard time.  I would presume that she will have to pay full tuition at both schools for the "broken semester".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, allane said:

In a 17 yr. teaching career in Thailand, I can remember it happening twice, and there may have been more.  He will need an interim report card from the old school if leaving at a non-standard time.  I would presume that she will have to pay full tuition at both schools for the "broken semester".

thanks Allane......  do you also remember occasions where pupils were refused to join during the year, and told they had to wait until the new teaching year started?

Is it done on a case by case analysis you think?

6 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Best to look for the school which the kid would join and ask them.

Agree, ask the school you're hoping for him to enroll before he comes down.  My son switched from one school to another mid semester when he was about 6 y/o, and the new school wanted a report from his old school and they tested him when he enrolled.

Edited by bbko
  • Thanks 1

If there ever was a refusal, I would never have known about it.  I remember reading somewhere that public schools have to accept all comers within their catchment area.  I am speaking of their Regular Program, not English Immersion Programs.

• Thanks 1

As mentioned, contact the school directly and well before the term begins.   We always entertained new students coming in, but it depended on whether there was room in the class. 

You may be able to go through any admission processes well in advance as well as any testing that is required.  You also may have to pay the full tuition.  The option that I would strongly consider is to have him complete the entire first semester where he is and try to move him for the 2nd semester.

Most schools will allow for late admissions.  

• Thanks 1

This doesn't directly apply to the OP's situation..but in the high schools I worked at here, we had generally 10 to 12 class divisions. The top students (from testing and grades) were assigned to Class #1 and the worst ended up in class #12. There was a stigma to being in the lower ranked classes as these kids were labeled unteachable or losers (I actually heard some Thai teachers say "oh don't put too much effort into it...it's only class #12". That of course was a major problem but compounding the issue was that mid term transfers often ended up in the lower class ranks due to space considerations or simply no test results from the new school yet.

I saw really nice, hardworking kids shoved into class #12 as transfers and it broke my heart, not to mention feeling for all the  kids in these low ranked classes because in general they were not bad kids, just nobody was willing to give them a break or treat them normally . Just something to be aware of...ask how class assigments will be made upon transfer, if your kid has good grades and reputation, push for entry into an appropriate class rank and not just leave it up to the school.

Edited by tonray
  • Thanks 1