Where To Buy An Engagement Ring

UKJASE

That's less than U.S.$800 or so.  You'll not get much in quality or size for that kind of money.  A third of a carat of a high quality stone will run upwards of U.S.$5,000 these days.   I've never bought on online or here in Thailand; only from a jeweler I knew and personally in the Diamond District in New York where I could get an independent GIA evaluation within a few steps of the seller's shop.  Best to go with a couple of references and an independent appraisal.  The rip-off factor is considerable.

• Thanks 1

Buy outside Thailand if you can its much sheaper. If you want save some money buy emerald ring, she never know difference ????. And for your notice, in Thailand many people dont know what engagement mean! Normaly you get married in same day.

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Diamonds are the only stones with something like an official price list for stones up to 5 karat.

You get what you pay for - at least from good jewelers. 

Learn about the 4Cs

https://www.diamonds.pro/education/4cs-diamonds/

Here is a link (it's just a sample, I don't know them) about the prices

https://www.petragems.com/diamond-prices/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Is she Thai?  I thought Thai women were smarter than to fall for diamonds and wanted gold due to the potential of resale as well as appearance..

yea she is thai......  i wanted her to buy a gold ring as that will always have good resale value incase we fall on hard times etc, but she says it has to be diamond

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Good luck with her demands, seems starting off on a steep hill. 

25 000,- will not give you much, but my gf was happy with one bought in Norway for 15k. Tiny tiny little white gold ring with a small diamond on it. So called alliance ring where you put a new diamond every anniversery. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Is she Thai?  I thought Thai women were smarter than to fall for diamonds and wanted gold due to the potential of resale as well as appearance..

Yes, my wife disparaged diamonds - - she knew they were a rip-off and gold was an investment... 

• Like 1

I know there was a saying a while ago that the engagement ring should be 3 month's full salary - I assumed trumpeted by the diamond industry ????

In London you obv' have Hatton Gardens. There are a number of antique stores there that sell nice older ones cheaper than the main dealers that they will customise.

BTW - I bought my wife an expensive one from Hatton Gardens - she never wears it as she's scared of the diamond coming out !!

Edited by Pmbkk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

While I am here where can I buy bread and meat?????

Uh, the bread & meat store? 555

OP, forget about diamonds and just buy a gold ring.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

100% behind that......gold, gold, gold all the way.......I would try to persuade her to give up the idea of a diamond (good luck with that).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can anyone recommend a good retail chain of jewellers to use?

we went to Aurora last week, which is in the main mall in town, but the choice was limited

Any other jeweller chains that have a good reputation?

14 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

I know there was a saying a while ago that the engagement ring should be 3 month's full salary - I assumed trumpeted by the diamond industry ????

In London you obv' have Hatton Gardens. There are a number of antique stores there that sell nice older ones cheaper than the main dealers that they will customise.

BTW - I bought my wife an expensive one from Hatton Gardens - she never wears it as she's scared of the diamond coming out !!

Last time my wife was in UK I bought her a second  hand  diamond ring, she thought it was new, ignorance is bliss.

I gave my wife no engagement ring, she has no wedding ring, but she's as happy as a pig in muck just being married to me ! ???? That said, I give her tons of housekeeping money and what's left she can buy gold if she wants, but she seems determined to fill up all the house wardrobes and about 20 big black plastic containers with clothes, shoes, 10 million socks and underwear that would have been sold in some uK 60's department store as it makes her 'look slim' !

• Like 2

OP is dreaming on that budget. Anything less than 0.40 ct is tiny.

If you x2 or x3 your spend you can get a second hand "brand name" one (which has "some" value).

You have already been to Aurora which is one of the better Thai jewelry chains.

I don't know about Hua Hin but in Bangkok used brand names can be found here:

There is a store in MBK called ALEX.

https://www.instagram.com/alexbrandjewelry/

again in Bangkok, VR Treasure in Jewelry Trade Centre:

https://www.instagram.com/vrtreasureshop/

There is a Thai jewelry shop (who's name escapes me) in MBK opposite the Starbucks at the front where they will guarantee to buy back your ring for the price you paid minus 15%.

Or I can sell you a .47ct Tiffany size 6 B&P for 65k.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

15 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

Yes, that was the rule of thumb when I was shopping for a diamond for the incredibly young, amazingly beautiful and exceptionally talented Mrs NL way back when it was important.

I ended up buying from Blue Nile online on a Thursday night and was surprised when her $20k 0.91 carat VVS1 arrived by FedEx at our Scottish home before lunch on the Sunday, all the way from Alaska apparently.

We never did get it mounted while in the UK as we ran out of time. The local jewelers said a 4 week wait and we already had our African honeymoon safari booked. We don't trust the local jewelers to get it done here so it languishes in the safe.

For the OP, good luck and try lazada.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/spk-100-h-si2-18k-20-hrd210000025181-i2431825383-s8408481196.html

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thanks 1