Lilawadee tree disease : What's the cure?

2long

Lilawadee trees are very popular here in Thailand, and I moved and planted ours 10 years ago. In recent years it keeps getting yellow orange 'dust' on the underside of the leaves. Apparently it's an airborne disease, and our neighbours' tree and ours both get it, probably off each other.

I cut all the leaves off and a month or so later they come back good, but not for long.

Does anyone know a decent medicine or fertilizer I can put into the earth to stop this?

Thanks in advance.

274498539_446376937231457_6336612448663446995_n.jpg

274131258_1641261926206517_6457930216162744880_n.jpg

274572561_414197753803087_6313716553759144948_n.jpg

Very common. Our trees get it too and leaves die and fall off. However the tree never dies , new leaves replace the fallen and the tree gets bigger and bigger. Does seem to be a seasonal thing . At first I tried various sprays but none worked. Now the tree is too big to spray so I just let nature take its course.

• Like 2

Yes, rust infections, mealy bugs and other issues are common with plumeria that are physiologically stressed from poor growing conditions and management insufficiencies, primarily soil and water management. 

What the chemical control oriented articles and old-school horticulturists omit is some important cultural information, that healthy plants are resistant to pests and diseases.  Plant immune function is closely related to soil health and plant nutrition.  Cultivate healthy soil and root health by improving soil organic matter content, mulch the soil surface with good quality compost, worm castings/vermicompost. Avoid bare ground and promote shading. The sun beating in on the soil surface is detrimental,  avoid tillage that oxidizes soil, and high NPK chemical fertilzers and pesticides that dessicate roots and harm the beneficial biology and are detrimental to plant health and natural resistance to pests and diseases.  See YouTube videos from Soil Food Web School, Regenerative Agriculture, Kiss The Ground, Advancing Eco Agriculture -  for more on the subject. 

• Like 1