Cloudflare blocking access to Asean Now from Firefox

Paulaew

I usually access Asean Now from the Firefox browser on Linux, but about a week ago my access was blocked by the Cloudflare software with this message:

"This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. The action you just performed triggered the security solution. There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word or phrase, a SQL command or malformed data."

I can access AN from Chrome, so it is not my IP address that is implicated. I have tried reinstalling Firefox, clearing the browser cache and starting the browser in safe mode (without extensions and add-ons), but I'm still blocked.

Has anyone seen this problem and found a solution?

I am running Firefox 88.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.7

Paul Laew

Your version of Ubuntu is very old. It may be that the SSL (TLS) certificate ciphers are not up to scratch. The current version of FF is 97, I am using FF from Australia without issues on Ubuntu 20.04.

Edited by ozimoron

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Your version of Ubuntu is very old. It may be that the SSL certificate ciphers are not up to scratch. The current version of FF is 97, I am using FF from Australia without issues on Ubuntu 20.04.

Thanks for your reply.

Ubuntu 16.0.4 is indeed an older version of Ubuntu, but it is an LTS release that is still fully supported (until 2026).

If there was an SSL certificate problem with Ubuntu, presumably I would have a problem with the Chrome browser as well, but I can access AN with Chrome without problem.

The version of Firefox (88) I am using is the latest one from the Synaptics repository, but I will see if I can find a newer version. I think this problem first occurred after a Firefox update.

Paul Laew

3 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

Thanks for your reply.

Ubuntu 16.0.4 is indeed an older version of Ubuntu, but it is an LTS release that is still fully supported (until 2026).

If there was an SSL certificate problem with Ubuntu, presumably I would have a problem with the Chrome browser as well, but I can access AN with Chrome without problem.

The version of Firefox (88) I am using is the latest one from the Synaptics repository, but I will see if I can find a newer version. I think this problem first occurred after a Firefox update.

Paul Laew

I don't think it is. Why not update?

Extended Security Maintenance for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is available from April 2021 until 2026

https://ubuntu.com/security/esm

Edited by ozimoron

21 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

Thanks for your reply.

Paul Laew

my version of Firefox is 97.0.1 and works well with AN...... yours is 88

Maybe cloudflare does not like the word "Linux" in the user-agent. I always browse the internet with "windows" in the user-agent&friends.

try this: open "about:config", and create the following entries (right click -> New -> String):

Name: general.appversion.override

Value: 5.0 (Windows)

Name: general.oscpu.override

Value: Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64

Name: general.platform.override

Value: Win32

Name: general.useragent.override

Value: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:88.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/88.0

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

Maybe cloudflare does not like the word "Linux" in the user-agent. I always browse the internet with "windows" in the user-agent&friends.

try this: open "about:config", and create the following entries (right click -> New -> String):

Name: general.appversion.override

Value: 5.0 (Windows)

Name: general.oscpu.override

Value: Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64

Name: general.platform.override

Value: Win32

Name: general.useragent.override

Value: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:88.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/88.0

Thanks for your advice.

I tried tried one of the extensions that can change the user agent (User Agent Swticher), but I was still blocked by Cloudflare.

I added your suggested items to the config and restarted Firefox and cleared the cache. I could bring up the Asean Now homepage, but as soon as I clicked on any link access was blocked by Cloudflare.

I have researched the issue in google and it seems to be a common problem that Mozilla is trying to address. Since Cloudflare is very widely used for content distribution, it's a critical issue. I had used Firefox to access AN for many months without problem. Version 88 is currently the recommended version in the Ubuntu repository, but I will try to manually install 97 and see if that helps. But I seem to be on the Cloudfare blacklist for Firefox, even when I try to disguise the user agent. Fortunately Chrome works fine.

Paul Laew

Maybe some addon is playing tricks? I use Firefox only to access this forum and never experienced any problems with Cloudflare.

Try to create a new, "clean" browser profile and try to open this forum again: type

firefox --no-remote --ProfileManager

in the terminal or the command launcher. Make sure to not set the new profile as a default.

15 minutes ago, fdsa said:

Maybe some addon is playing tricks? I use Firefox only to access this forum and never experienced any problems with Cloudflare.

Try to create a new, "clean" browser profile and try to open this forum again: type

in the terminal or the command launcher. Make sure to not set the new profile as a default.

fdsa, thanks for your help.

Yes, I tried that and I've also run Firefox in safe mode without any extensions or add-ons. Still blocked. I've also reinstalled Firefox to make sure I have a clean profile. Cloudfare seems to have me on their blacklist. 

Paul Laew

19 hours ago, Paulaew said:

If there was an SSL certificate problem with Ubuntu, presumably I would have a problem with the Chrome browser as well

This may be completely wrong, but I seem to recall that Firefox has SSL certificate info. hard coded into the program, whilst Chrome dynamically loads the info..  This would cause an old version of Firefox to fail, whilst Chrome would be OK.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Oxx said:

This may be completely wrong, but I seem to recall that Firefox has SSL certificate info. hard coded into the program, whilst Chrome dynamically loads the info..  This would cause an old version of Firefox to fail, whilst Chrome would be OK.

When I clear the cache and cookies in Firefox 88, I can load the AN homepage with https. This means that Firefox can recognize the AN SSL certificate.

When I load the AN homepage, I don't yet have a cookie from the site. But after receiving a cookie, when I try to load other content, I immediately get an access denied page from Cloudflare. I reported the problem to AN support more than a week ago, but didn't even receive the courtesy of a reply.

Paul Laew

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

Check In Firefox about:preferences#general

If Enable DNS over HTTPS is checked

and in Use Provider "Cloudflare" is selected

Yes, I have DoH enabled, with Cloudflare as the DNS provider.

Just to add, this was a working setup for many months and just started to fail recently.

Paul Laew

Edited by Paulaew

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

^ I have the same and no issue using FF 91.6.0 ESR (but under the Windows 10)

And what happens if you disable it? (or change to NextDNS)

I just ran tests with DoH with NextDNS and DoH disabled, and also fail in the same way with those configurations.

Paul Laew

5 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Do you get any errors here?

https://1.1.1.1/help

I don't get any errors when connecting to that Cloudflare Connection Information page.

I can also connect successfully to other sites using Cloudflare, such as seo.com.

It seems like something happened that led Cloudflare to put me on their blacklist for AN. Maybe I need to request that they remove me, but they seem to push that function back to the website owner.

Paul Laew

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

Then IMHO the problem isn't with Firefox!

Did you check if the ISP issueed IP address is on Blocklists? I am with 3BB (on CGN) and have many issues with getting an iP address that has been flagged! A reboot of the router usually solves that!

Since I can load AN pages successfully with Chrome (using the same IP address), that would seem to indicate the problem is not with my IP address.

Paul Laew

Just now, Paulaew said:

Since I can load AN pages successfully with Chrome (using the same IP address), that would seem to indicate the problem is not with my IP address.

Paul Laew

I have withdrawn that posts because you stated that already in the OP ????

3 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

Paul Laew

On that https://1.1.1.1/help

is a "Purge Cache" option. Maybe try that for AN????

Edit :

from the help page

How can I clear 1.1.1.1’s DNS cache?

You can refresh 1.1.1.1’s DNS cache for domain names by using the purge cache tool. You have to enter the domain name, pick the DNS record type (or types) and hit the ‘Purge Cache’ button.

Edited by MJCM

25 minutes ago, MJCM said:

On that https://1.1.1.1/help

is a "Purge Cache" option. Maybe try that for AN????

Edit :

from the help page

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.

I tried that purge for the A and CNAME records for aseannow.com

But I'm still blocked from Firefox. The Firefox Browser Console doesn't really provide any useful information, just that the page returned a 403.

This has been a problem reported to Mozilla by many Firefox users trying to access Cloudflare sites, but I haven't seen a solution posted yet (but still looking).

I can't report the problem directly to Cloudflare, since they only allow their customers to open tickets. But I have emailed AN support again in hope they can get the blacklist removed.

Paul Laew

Edited by Paulaew

I still believe there is some problem with your IP rather than the browser, as I have never experienced the same problem with two different versions of Firefox (although not 88/91/97 - much more older ones)

Have you verified that Chrome and Firefox have the same IP addresses?

54 minutes ago, fdsa said:

I still believe there is some problem with your IP rather than the browser, as I have never experienced the same problem with two different versions of Firefox (although not 88/91/97 - much more older ones)

Have you verified that Chrome and Firefox have the same IP addresses?

Yes, the IP addresses are identical for Firefox and Chrome.

Cloudflare doesn't actually block my IP address if I load the AN homepage from Firefox after clearing my cache and cookies. It's only once a get a cookie and try to load another page that I am blocked. 

Paul Laew

Have you inspected the cookies in both Firefox and Chrome and compared them? In my experience a 403 Forbidden error is usually due to a blocked cookie but another possibility might be a corrupted cookie. 

2 minutes ago, Roger That said:

You mentioned about trying to update Firefox - have you tried it yet?

And yes, like someone mentioned, Firefox uses its own root certificate store rather than the OS's which may (or may not!) be relevant.

I tried to upgrade to Firefox 97, but it requires different versions of some libraries than those in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Firefox 88 is the current version supported by Ubuntu for this release.

I have verified that this issue is not a general problem with Cloudflare since I have tested with other sites using Cloudflare and they load normally.

Paul Laew