Advice For Visa Runners who were on multiple covid extensions: Do not return as 'visa exempt'

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

With land borders currently closed it's difficult for many to obtain a visa as in some cases such as a TV it requires you to exit Thailand.

The last time I checked Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines are already opened. Malaysia may open next month from what I read.

The problem is abusing the system by doing multiple visa-runs/Covid extensions and not whether one can get a tourist visa.

A tourist visa won't be granted if immigration sees that one is not a genuine tourist.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

The last time I checked Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines are already opened. Malaysia may open next month from what I read.

The problem is abusing the system by doing visa-runs/Covid extensions and not whether one can get a valid visa.

Singapore is also open now, and Laos...but only through approved travel agents.

3 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The last time I checked Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines are already opened. Malaysia may open next month from what I read

Please do the exercise of obtaining visa to Vietnam. 

I did that earlier today. 

Have you or someone you know done what your throw away post suggests. 

Skip this chit chat. 

Waste of time. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Get a proper visa like non-O (work permit, retiree, marriage, education) instead of abusing the system.

And abuse the system with those type of visa?

18 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Tourist visa isn't considered valid after so many Covid extensions....it goes to show they are not real tourists but long-term stayers in Thailand.

There is no visa in Thailand just to simply stay long term, without marrying, studying, working, retiring, etc.

26 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I would say that these people were misusing the Covid extension for long-term stay in Thailand and misusing it by doing a visa-run right after the multiple Covid extension. 

What I've been saying for months and months on these forums, but people rarely ever listen.

Thai immigration caught early on these extensions were going to be misused, but they could only act as per regulations aka, what was published in the official gazette so their discretionary powers of action were somewhat limited the what the law allows them to do, they could only push it only so far.

Now that Thailand is entering the endemic stage, the COVID-19 extensions are a thing of the past, situation might be returning to some sort of "normality" by the summer, and the Thai immigration are back in full force regaining their powers, those who misused these extensions as a way to maintain themselves in the Kingdom much longer than they should have are going to dearly pay the price for it.

Hate it so say it again but here we are yet again; Told you so.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

And abuse the system with those type of visa?

There is no visa in Thailand just to simply stay long term, without marrying, studying, working, retiring, etc.

How can those visa be abused? Immigration has their checks built-in for the one year long visa; they are valid for one-year if you abide by the rules set i.e. you are really studying, really married etc.

Tourist visas and visa-exempts aren't meant to be one year long; they are meant to be just a few months. If tourist visas (back-to-back renewal) are meant to be one year long, then not many would want to apply for those other visas/extensions(to be technical) with more difficult requirements.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Please outline the procedure to enter Laos. .

I want to fly tomorrow.

@DrJack54  While not required to enlist their services, the blog of this travel agent has done a great job of outlining the process for all the nearby countries that have reopened. Actually quite useful for deciding which one you want to go to depending on how much (or less) red tape will be required. ????

Scroll down the page to find Laos.
https://www.exotravel.com/blog/en/

Edited by audaciousnomad
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The problem is abusing the system by doing multiple visa-runs/Covid extensions and not whether one can get a tourist visa.

You can count me on being probably in the top 1000th abusers when it came to doing visa-runs as I have managed to maintain myself over 10 years in the Kingdom just using back to back visa-runs so I know what I'm saying, but then again this was back then, before the pandemic, it was a different time, a wholly different era.

These days I wouldn't advocate anyone doing more than one visa-run per calendar year and even then (unless you are very lucky or very well connected) you might not make it the next year, the I/O would very likely give you the dirty looks.

Abuse things and you might be the one being abused next time.

• Confused 4

13 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:
32 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Tourist visa isn't considered valid after so many Covid extensions....it goes to show they are not real tourists but long-term stayers in Thailand.

That doesn't mean that, in the absence of a visa that suits you, you can just misuse a tourist visa and then attempt to justify your action because there's no alternative!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

There is not limit on visa exempt entries via Air.

There is also no limit on visa exempt entries via land either if you happen to be a passport holder of specific nations. Unlike on these forums not everything revolves around the Brits (thank God).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, EricTh said:

How can those visa be abused? Immigration has their checks built-in for the one year long visa; they are valid for one-year if you abide by the rules set i.e. you are really studying, really married etc.

A lot of people get education visas just to stay in Thailand long-term, without actually studying. Isn't that abuse?

They may even attend classes, but their real goal is just to stay in Thailand, not to study.

Edited by JoseThailand

14 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

You can count me on being probably in the top 1000th abusers when it came to doing visa-runs as I have managed to maintain myself over 10 years in the Kingdom just using back to back visa-runs so I know what I'm saying, but then again this was back then, before the pandemic, it was a different time, a wholly different era.

You did visa-runs with an agency or by yourself? Which border crossing did you use? How didn't they ban you in the system?

14 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

A lot of people get education visas just to stay in Thailand long-term, without actually studying. Isn't that abuse?

I would say it is.

I have personally abused this visa myself in the past, however to cover myself in case we'd end up in court of immigration charges, I have attended Thai language courses for a whopping one hour just to cover my bases. So I could argue that I have actually "studied" while under that visa.

As long as you've done at least one hour of class, you technically have broken no laws, not done any wrongdoings and have used the education visa for its intended purpose.

Unless things have changed (this was a very long time ago), there isn't a hard requirement set in law of how many hours of classes/courses one must engage with in order to retain the visa's validity.

But then again I could be wrong, do your own research.

Edited by NanaSomchai
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

You did visa-runs with an agency or by yourself? Which border crossing did you use? How didn't they ban you in the system?

By myself, always. Well dressed, well groomed, perfume on, with the girlfriend/wife, sometimes accompanied with my Thai kid as well, always smile on all occasions, do a wai salute at the I/O, include anything between 1,000 and 3,000 THB between the first 3 pages of your passport and very importantly; let the wife do all the talking for you, let the wife take the passport from your hand to give it to the I/O, never hand out your own passport yourself (when there is money in it so you can't be accused of attempting to bribe an officer, your Thai wife is the one handing out the passport, so if things go REALLY pear shaped you can pretend it wasn't you and it was a misunderstanding) also pretend you don't understand Thai and your English is nearly non existent, that way you can't answer any questions the I/O may have, your wife will do the talking for you.

Edited by NanaSomchai
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I recommend anyone doing an exit and reentry to obtain tourist visa. Yes they can also be refused upon reentry but unlikely. 

Becoming more and more difficult to get though unless you return to your home country. If Laos and Vietnam go over to E-visa that'll be them out of the picture too.

2 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Becoming more and more difficult to get though unless you return to your home country. If Laos and Vietnam go over to E-visa that'll be them out of the picture too.

Which is why I would recommend anyone acquiring the Cambodian citizenship, very easily doable if you're not already married and are under 50.

30 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

What I've been saying for months and months on these forums, but people rarely ever listen.

Thai immigration caught early on these extensions were going to be misused, but they could only act as per regulations aka, what was published in the official gazette so their discretionary powers of action were somewhat limited the what the law allows them to do, they could only push it only so far.

Now that Thailand is entering the endemic stage, the COVID-19 extensions are a thing of the past, situation might be returning to some sort of "normality" by the summer, and the Thai immigration are back in full force regaining their powers, those who misused these extensions as a way to maintain themselves in the Kingdom much longer than they should have are going to dearly pay the price for it.

Hate it so say it again but here we are yet again; Told you so.

They will either go abroad and get a Visa and return  or go abroad and not come back . 

Hardly "dearly paying the price" 

• Like 2