refused dental work no farang

Harveyboy

hello folks hope everyone on here is keeping well in these difficult times ..i have a question are dentists allowed to refuse treatment to someone in pain because they are foreigners..

ok so on Friday i went with my wife to a local dentist here i was in pain with a broken tooth and my wife needed some work doing so off we went 

on arriving at the surgery the person there looked as if she was going to have a seizure when she saw me .. didn't say hello..sawadee.. sabai dee..nothing nowt 

then my wife asked what's the problem WE don't do farang was her answer  for you OK but not farang

my wife explained id not been out of Thailand for years all my jabs were up to date Didn't give a <deleted> ..found another dentist later that day very polite very professional..very pro Farang.. oh well thats life eh 

• Haha 1

My regular dentist that I was using for many years in one of the big named hospitals in Bangkok has also cancelled my last 2 appointments and now refuses to take any further appointments for me.

Have to find a new dentist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Generally, I do not think dental work here is up to western standards.  Just my experience and opinion.

So, maybe Falang has a tendency to complain more often then the locals about poor dental work.

Just saying, could be a reason they don't want to see you.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Generally, I do not think dental work here is up to western standards.  Just my experience and opinion.

So, maybe Falang has a tendency to complain more often then the locals about poor dental work.

Just saying, could be a reason they don't want to see you.

yes ,  that's my immediate thought after reading the story.   I suspect many farang complain and disagree with the quality of the work done,  also coupled with a lack of communication,  hence the dentist doesn't want the farang hassle or confrontation.  Remember, Thai's rarely want to complain so nothing improves here.

• Like 1

Harveyboy.  Do you realize how many dentists practice in Thailand?  Thousands!  The beauty about free markets is that for every xenophobic dentist who doesn't want your farang business, there are 10 who do.  So.......

Vote with your feet - find a different dentist.

• Like 1

Happened to me at a dentist in Ram2 in Bang na. Dentist would not talk to me ( i speak enough thai to get by) but asked me to telephone my wife and told her that she does not seal with farang as we cause problems. i went somewhere else. didnt let it ruin my day but it is annoying!!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Generally, I do not think dental work here is up to western standards. 

Depends on your dentist.  A number of Thai dentists trained in the US.  Mine did.  Her dentistry is top notch.  Now, if you go to a Thai dentist with primarily Thai clientele?  I have before.  That is a different story.

1 hour ago, Harveyboy said:

are dentists allowed to refuse treatment to someone in pain because they are foreigners..

Do you really want to have any medical (dental) work carried out by someone so stupid ???

I’d consider such sentiment and feel happily forewarned to avoid dealing with an utter fool and go elsewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure I'd want dental treatment from someone that ignorant.

Excellent dental surgery in Imperial Samrong if you happen to be around that way.  We communicated in Thai throughout the treatment, but then just before I left she told me in perfect English how to look after my teeth better.

4 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

but then just before I left she told me in perfect English how to look after my teeth better.

When they try that on me I just tell them if I took more care of my teeth, they'd be out of work.

Just imagine the outrage if you tried to tell a Thai how to do something ...... anything!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

I'm guessing foreigners are more likely to be officially detected with COVID in their eyes, then their whole business has to be shut down for days, cleaned etc.. and they lose a lot of money. Who knows though. Here in Pattaya there are dentists everywhere, 99% will have no problem taking foreigners I'm guessing. Maybe bring a recent ATK test next time just as insurance.

Maybe you should complain here. Even in Thailand a doctor cannot send away someone in pain. I complained about 2 lawyers with the " Lawyer's Council of Thailand" and both were punished/ had to compensate me:

Dental Association of Thailand

71 Ladprao 95, Wangthonglang. Post Box 1589. Bangkok. 10310. Thailand.

Total members. 8970.

Phone number. 6625394748.

Fax number. 6625141100.

Email address. [email protected].

Website address. https://www.thaidental.or.th/

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

I found a fantastic Dentist in Khon Kaen this month, very good and professional, which goes by the name of 'HUG',   Lady Dentist is excellent and she speaks good English.   She kept me informed throughout the process of 2 fillings,the smoothing down of a rough edge and the production of an upper bridge plus a through clean.   Price wise I thought it was very reasonable.   Cannot hesitate but to reommend.

I looked at their website and they have many dentists, could you please tell me the name of the lady dentist you recommend?