Retirement In Isaan

Tilokarat

Where is the best place to retire in Isaan? Would it be an urban or rural area? What are the pros and cons of living in your favourite location be it Udon Thani, Khon Kaen, Nong Khai, Loei, Khorat, Yasothon or somewhere else?

I guess this isnt a question really relevant to you, considering your last post? I would recommend a place you are happy, most of the time that will include some emotional attachment in some sort of form. It doesnt matter if it is the northpole or the sahara. Or issan for that matter...

I'd pick KK personally :o

Thanss Joost. Actually, I would not mind retiring in Udon Thani, and the question is more of a general one for any poster who lives in Isaan, or would like to consider living there, to see what they find good and not so good at any location in the Isaan region.

I would not find boredom a problem because there are always things to do, books to read, work to do and so on. Still I understand that living in Isaan would not be for everyone.

However, it would be useful/interesting to see why a person would want to live in Udon or Khorat or wherever, and why they find not so likeable about that particular place.

Thanks.

I cannot imagine retiring in Isaan. After a month I would go batty.

What would you do all day? all year??

Yes, you're completely right. Nothing for sex-tourists here at all. Only fresh air, nice people, peace, wonderful style of living, lovely Restaurants and thousands of beautiful girls (nice girls) :o

I live in Sisaket - the reason is that this is where my wife's family is. However, it's quite a pleasant small town, not too many Westerners, quite friendly and everything is very cheap.

We do what most people do in Sisaket - grow rice, and we are building up a farm contracting business.

If we had no family attachments with the area then there is no way we would have moved here, I think that this applies to most of the Western residents here.

I live here because it is where my wife and family are.

I was never a city type in the UK and chose to live in a small village rather than Manchester.

Silence does not drive me crazy (the voices in my head prevent that) it's too much traffic, too many people and not enough time that would send me mental.

I wake up most days with nothing planned but there always ends up with something to do...... in fact, I have found it best not to make plans, something usually happens to screw it up if you do.

The only time I thought that I couldn't hack it here was the period before I bought a car, that gives you the freedom to do absolutely anything you want, but still comfortable in the knowledge that if I don't feel like mixing with the rat race, I don't have to.

//edit/ just noticed that the honourable member from Sisaket and I were typing at the same time.

Edited by Thaddeus

Yeah Thaddeus transport is essential in Isaan, before we bought the car the wife would transport me around on the back of her bike, I didn't put up with that long as not too keen on bikes, plenty of song taeows as live quite near KK city centre but just took too long to go anywhere

Once we got the car complete difference...wake up in the morning...what to do ? let's go a run up to Ubol Rattana dam, it is just that easy, plus having a family means trips to Tesco's/Big C/Makro to do the weekly shop made easier.

If you don't have a family, or just the two of you, motorbike transportation is adequate, providing you live within a reasonable walking distance of a bus stop. Done it going on five years, and quite a care-free existence compared to maintaining a car, insurance, licensing, etc.

Must admit, there have been a few times I would have enjoyed a car (downpours, trips to out-of-the-way places), but that's where having a lot of friends comes in handy! It's more fun with a group anyway (the Thai way)!

If you don't have a family, or just the two of you, motorbike transportation is adequate, providing you live within a reasonable walking distance of a bus stop.

Agreed.

I did it for just over a year, but I live 12km from the nearest bus-top (well, one that has a bus going to where I want to go) and doing the school run with my little one twice a day in the rainy season was not exactly pleasant. Plus I had need on several occasions to go to Buriram city, a 160km round trip, never had any problems getting to sleep on those days, but I was spending a fortune on Counterpain. :o

I enjoy gadding about on the bike for short hops, but if you live more than a couple of clicks from the start of civilisation, a car is pretty much essential.

Where is the best place to retire in Isaan? Would it be an urban or rural area? What are the pros and cons of living in your favourite location be it Udon Thani, Khon Kaen, Nong Khai, Loei, Khorat, Yasothon or somewhere else?

Living in Udon over 4yrs,no choice really,my wife family,house and job being here.

Went to Khon Kaen many times,bigger city,would be probably easier to find better schools for the children,but very difficult for my wife;the car,a pick-up,of course,is a must,many places around for the weekend trip;my favourite is Laos,not only Vientiane,but the countyside,Vang Vien,Luang Prabang,next time will go to the south,Pakxe and the Emerald Triangle.

I only miss the sea,born near the ocean cannot live without,and sometimes have to travel as far as Malaysia,stopping on the way in the small places,with very few tourists and no nightlife.Well,I fear I'm too old for that kind of entertainment.

No boring life,always something to do,new places to see,real sanook.Were it not so,why would I choose to live in Thailand? :o

Different strokes. We live in Sydney because it's practical. In LoS, we live in a village as we have family there. If it wasn't there, it would probably be nearer to Chiang Mai - my preference. Growing up in the country, village life is fine for me. The number of times I've seen city-slickers make the big move to the country only to be back a few months later because they couldn't cope with the difference & being too far from what they're used to having around the corner.

Be sure you have someone around or that you can contact easily that speaks your language - it tends to make things a little easier.

Another question i keep asking myself over and over is how much of a budget financialy would be needed for my family to up stick from UK and live sometime in future in Isaan/Ubon. We have two children and would need to consider schooling and medical cover given that one of our son's is disabled. We have a holiday home and car already in Ubon and moving would not be much of an issue really apart from the fact that our first priority would be how best to look after our two son's (one a few months old and the other 4 yo) which makes any decision difficult. I have never priced up medical cover and school costs so don't know what the monthly budget would need to be for this in the town but if anyone has information then please post. We are just getting bored of life here in UK and had enough of the "groundhog day" existance.

Edited by jay-uk

Another question i keep asking myself over and over is how much of a budget financialy would be needed for my family to up stick from UK and live sometime in future in Isaan/Ubon. We have two children and would need to consider schooling and medical cover given that one of our son's is disabled. We have a holiday home and car already in Ubon and moving would not be much of an issue really apart from the fact that our first priority would be how best to look after our two son's (one a few months old and the other 4 yo) which makes any decision difficult. I have never priced up medical cover and school costs so don't know what the monthly budget would need to be for this in the town but if anyone has information then please post. We are just getting bored of life here in UK and had enough of the "groundhog day" existance.

We don't have kids, so find an average of 20,000/month is generally adequate when we're there. This is based only on 'normal' household type bills / food / usual transport. Kids would add to that considerably, moreso depending on the disability & it's requirements. You may need a chat with a few insurance companies' travel sections - not the travel agent / bank selling it, but the company itself. All replies in writing, so you have the info if they try to get out of a claim later. Is there a suitable medical facility close enough if you need help with the disabled one?

My sister is a teacher in a local school. The claim is at 'primary' school level you should only pay for uniforms, some books & food. As foreigners, you could well be asked to pay a 'fee'. Possibly if you donate some writing material the fee would be waived or reduced. The poorer families of the are would certainly appreciate it.

It all depends on the sort of life you want to lead. You can opt for the nice quiet, family way of going about things, or you can walk on the wild side.In actual fact, contary to my previous post, if you know the places, meet the right people, Isaan can be as much fun as the big cities. There is a certain Moderator on this Forum, that maintains, you can have as good a night out in Surin, as anywhere in Thailand. Hanging about with the right bunch of lads, is important as well. Here we have them all. Gentlemen that behave like <deleted>, <deleted> that behave like gentlemen, <deleted> that behave like <deleted>, and thankfully more gentlemen that behave like gentlemen. Nearly all my locals, love living here, and will not have a bad word said about Isaan. You will also find that generally there are two types of people that dislike Isaan.

1) Those who have never been here.

2) Those who live here, but stay in their house 24/7

Of course there are those who hardly ever venture from their families village, and still love it. Remember it takes all to make a World.

Golf, tennis, fishing, bowling, pool , snooker, swimming, gym, sightseeing, eating out, camping, nightlife, shopping, charity work, bridge club, poker club, aerobics, ballroom dancing, parasailing, cinema, to name a few.

Our retirement in Thailand is driven by many of the same reasons mentioned already (cost of living, family, slower life style, less traffic, etc). We finished expanding our existing house to include some western creature comforts like air con, hot water heaters etc last year. The village we will live in, Ban Tasa Ard (full time starting in Sept 2007), is located east of Udon Thani and south east of Nong Khai and not too far from Seka. It is a very quite farming village except of the early morning roosters and farm equipment. As far as things to do, we plan to travel most of Thailand for the first year going to all the tourist and Thai attractions. Additionally, I have already been asked by the local schools(s) to teach English part-time (PhD in Education) and my wife is thinking of opening a small shop of some type (bulk dry goods). I don’t believe there will be any time to get bored. Besides, as a technology nut, I’ll have plenty to do with my computers, internet activities and the local Wat would like a network setup for their kindergarten school.

let's go a run up to Ubol Rattana dam

KKB, have you ever gone to the dinoaur fossil dig site?

I tried to go one time about 8-10 years back. I drove to the little museum and got directons .. then proceeded to walk, trudge, climb, groan and rest for about 400 km or so :o .. then turned back.

Although I don't live there yet, I really like Issan .. so maybe not living there is key to really liking it? :D

Yes, you're completely right. Nothing for sex-tourists here at all. Only fresh air, nice people, peace, wonderful style of living, lovely Restaurants and thousands of beautiful girls (nice girls) :D

Nothing for sex-tourists here at all.

Not 100% accurate by I understand your point. :o:D

mmmmmmmm Have you seen them coming out of the Universaties in Buriram, also the so pleasant staff at eating places and Supermkts escpecially if your on your own, what a life muahhhhhhhhhh