ThaiPass Documents - Is This New?

Was trying to find an easy to understand list of documents needed to finally apply for my and the wife's ThaiPass and came across this:

Thailand Pass Documents Guide – Expat Holidays Thailand

Some of the things contradict info given here such as "How to book the hotel".

As we are NOT frequent travelers, I'm starting to think it may be worth it to pay 5k TBH to just hire a service to apply for us.

UbonJoe, are you available? ????:wai:

10 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

So, the Thaipass is only needed on the way into Thailand but not on the way out? Is the added Travel Insurance from the airlines acceptable for the ThaiPass requirement?

It is only needed to enter Thailand.

You only have to meet the requirements to enter the country you are traveling to when you leave Thailand.

If the insurance meets the requirements for entry to Thailand it will be accepted if you have proof of it.

3 minutes ago, sleepwalker999 said:

is the border at Nong Khai now open?

If you're currently in Laos, you can now apply for a Thailand Pass and enter in Nong Khai using Test & Go.

If you're not currently in Laos, then as far as I know, their rules for entry haven't changed yet.

7 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

So, the Thaipass is only needed on the way into Thailand but not on the way out? Is the added Travel Insurance from the airlines acceptable for the ThaiPass requirement?

Any insurance that can provide a cover letter stating that you are covered for COVID in Thailand for at least USD 20,000 will work

Edited by SmokeandIce

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

To a non computer savvy person, the only difficult part in doing the application is the fact that most of your documents will be sent to you in a format known as PDF

Oh, one other problem you may have - only one document can be submitted for each section and there is a 5mb limit.  The proof I required for my insurance for example, was spread over several pages of my insurance policy.  There is also a free online workaround for that - a service which merges several JPEG images into one document.  If your lucky, your insurance certificate will have all the required information on it - just one page.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Its a pain in the proverbial that you have to apply - especially as the authorities don't seem to take it seriously once you've entered.  However, its not a difficult process. If you want to pay me 5000 to do your applications, I'll be happy to take your money ???? but just remember this - you'll have to send an agent exactly the same documents as you would submit if you were doing it yourself.

To a non computer savvy person, the only difficult part in doing the application is the fact that most of your documents will be sent to you in a format known as PDF - this is quite normal - its the internationally accepted standard for electronic documents.  Thailand being Thailand though, the pass website does not accept PDF format - they only accept JPG, JPEG or PNG - formats that the rest of the world uses for images.  I've heard that many people just photograph their documents using their phones and send them in that way - not something I would take a chance on.  It is quite easy to convert a PDF into a JPG and you can do it free online - much better quality than a dodgy mobile phone photo.

Bizarrely - when your Thailand Pass is approved and sent to you, its in PDF format!!

Great avatar.

• Like 1

It’s actually quite easy. Just look at the list of documents and then start the process. I did do it on the phone and just screenshot or took photos of what I needed and deleted later. Give it a try first before wasting your money. 

8 hours ago, San Fran Dan said:

Negative , I believe Malaysia might be 

I believe Malaysia will have 'open borders' on 1 April. Right now they still have some really convoluted rules regarding who needs to quarantine under supervision and who can do it at home (for fully vaccinated Malaysians).

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2022/03/09/malaysia-to-have-only-one-sop-but-nine-guidelines-as-country-segues-to-ende/2046371

3 hours ago, jcmj said:

It’s actually quite easy. Just look at the list of documents and then start the process. I did do it on the phone and just screenshot or took photos of what I needed and deleted later. Give it a try first before wasting your money. 

Its easy if you know your way around a computer and how to send files etc. (including phones).  Its not so easy if you're not so good with computers.  This is not limited to the older generation, if I asked my daughter if she knows how to convert a PDF to a JPEG, I'm pretty sure her answer would be no.  But she knows how to post on Facebook and Twitter etc. If you've never had to do it before, you won't know.

You also have to be aware of the bugs in the Thailand Pass App - for example (unless they've fixed it now), make a mistake and enter a wrong date in say the vaccination section or any of the date boxes and try to correct it - you can't, it just goes back to the date you first entered every time. The only way is to cancel and go through the whole process again.

For example, as I said in an earlier post, the evidence of adequate insurance on my policy was spread over several pages including a letter from the insurers confirming the medical cover included Covid. How would you deal with that using just a mobile?  Take a photo of 5 pages together and expect the Thai authorities to zoom in?  In my opinion that would be asking for a rejection.

Hopefully Test & Go will be abolished soon in favour of a simple pre flight PCR test for fully vaccinated travellers.  Going on reports so far and its only 9 February, the Antigen Test Kit part is being ignored again - as it was last time it was on the menu.  Same goes for the previous Day & PCR test.  I couldn't upload my results as the Mor Chana App wouldn't work - nobody called me, visited my house or pulled me over when I departed - complete waste of time - and money!!

12 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

No negative test paper? (going to the states)

What you need at departure from Thailand is something that changes depending on the airline and the country of destination. Quite likely you may need a negative test, but whether ATK or PCR and performed when ... it depends. At any rate, it's worth checking on that requirement about a week before your intended departure (from Thailand) date, as things change frequently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1