Can you still apply for the Special Tourist Visa?

Hi,

I've been doing some visa research for Thailand and as usual, things are a little unclear. I've read about the Special Tourist Visa & that it's been extended to Sept 2022 (assuming this is for applications?)

I've had a look on the London Thai Embassy site and I can't find any info at all about tourist visas, unless I'm missing something.

If anyone has any insight I'd really appreciate it. I was originally looking for the METV but I'm not even sure that exists at the moment?

Thanks

Ah, I did look at the page and only saw the STV news post from April which didn't get me very far. 

Looking again now it's the "How to Apply for Thailand's E-Visa Stickerless" post I missed. Last time I applied for a visa was pre-covid and that was via the embassy site - looks like there's a whole separate site now. 

Thanks for the help! Apologies for the time waste.

1 hour ago, dcgm said:

Looking again now it's the "How to Apply for Thailand's E-Visa Stickerless" post I missed. Last time I applied for a visa was pre-covid and that was via the embassy site - looks like there's a whole separate site now. 

The e visa has been in use since June of 2019. The list for a STV on the embassy website and it is out date and incomplete since it came from the immigration website.

The list on the e visa website is not complete until you start the application. https://thaievisa.go.th/

Here is the requirements from another embassy website. 

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/12/10/stv/

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The e visa has been in use since June of 2019. The list for a STV on the embassy website and it is out date and incomplete since it came from the immigration website.

The list on the e visa website is not complete until you start the application. https://thaievisa.go.th/

Here is the requirements from another embassy website. 

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/12/10/stv/

That's great - thanks. I did check out the thai visa site & I also did find the info for the STV on the US embassy site (strange it's not on the London embassy site).

It's still a bit hard to be sure I'm applying for the STV on the Thai Visa site. The only STV option states "no longer than 90 days".
image.thumb.png.d9b658e546a93de06a33a6d2119189d8.png

I wonder if this is just a case of wording though as the STV wording on the US site is:
"They will be allowed to stay in Thailand for a period of up to 90 days, counting from the date of entry. STV may be extended twice while the visitor is in Thailand for a period of up to 90 days per each extension."

I think I'm going to contact the London embassy directly to see if I can get them to clarify. I just want to be sure I can apply for the potential 270 days before I book anything.

9 hours ago, dcgm said:

It's still a bit hard to be sure I'm applying for the STV on the Thai Visa site. The only STV option states "no longer than 90 days".

That is what the visa allows when you enter the country. It does not include the two 90 day extensions you can apply for at immigration here after arriving.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is what the visa allows when you enter the country. It does not include the two 90 day extensions you can apply for at immigration here after arriving.

Ah, ok, thanks - I follow now. 

I assume that would be similar to any normal visa extension - so just go to immigration a couple of weeks before 90 days is up?

Now I'm wondering - will the ability to extend go away after Sept 2022 when the STV ends? Or is it based on date of issue/entry?

I think that would be the difference between only managing one extension before Sept 2022 (180 days) vs the full 270 possible days. (I plan to go at the beginning of May)

33 minutes ago, dcgm said:

I assume that would be similar to any normal visa extension - so just go to immigration a couple of weeks before 90 days is up?

Yes

34 minutes ago, dcgm said:

Now I'm wondering - will the ability to extend go away after Sept 2022 when the STV ends? Or is it based on date of issue/entry?
I think that would be the difference between only managing one extension before Sept 2022 (180 days) vs the full 270 possible days. (I plan to go at the beginning of May)

You should be able to apply for both extension prior to the end of September when the current order for them ends,

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2022 at 10:58 AM, ubonjoe said:

You should be able to apply for both extension prior to the end of September when the current order for them ends,

Thanks again for your help. 

I did contact the embassy in London but unfortunately I didn't really get a straight answer about extending to the full 270 days - other than that I need to go to immigration. As I'm planning to travel mid-may I'm looking at mid-Aug for the first renewal and then I'm guessing I can try in Sept to extend again? Doing them both separately seems like the best approach?

I'm not super hopeful that I'd get the second extension given it'll be 1 month into my first extension. I feel like the best approach will be to get my apartment for 6 months and then extend my lease later only if I manage to get the final visa extension.

On another note - I did get an interesting (conflicting) list of STV requirements from the embassy. Once I have booked flights/accommodation and can get further through the online application I'll confirm here if they're accurate (in case it's useful for someone else). The main difference seems to be the financial proof requirement & the travel history. Also, it doesn't mention flight proof which has already come up on the application.

A list of documents

1.  Passport or travel document with validity, not less than 6 months 
2.  Your recent photo (selfie is acceptable)
3.  Photo of the applicant holding his/her passport
4.  Spouse's or child's Thai ID card (if you don't have any family in Thailand, please upload a brief statement saying so)
5.  Financial evidence showing savings of not less than £5,000 e.g. bank statements, for at least 1 month 
6.  Proof of residency e.g. council tax bills, driving license
7. Travel history in the last 1 year- please upload a page of your passport with a visa stamp, or a blank page if not traveled in the past year
8. Confirmed hotel booking/accommodation rental for the remaining period of your stay in Thailand, with proof of payment,  or copy of condominium ownership or purchase agreement of condominium with proof of payment (We do not accept invitation letters from friend or family or House registration)

(Of course, separate to the above will be the Thailand Pass requirements)

I've unfortunately hit another hitch (maybe a deal breaker) & that's insurance for the Thailand Pass.

It looks like there are reports of people being forced to go to a hospital/hospitel if they test positive but are asymptomatic - is that the normal process?

The issue being that no insurers I can find will cover asymptomatic cases (this makes sense really).

While the rules may improve before I potentially travel in May - it seems like I'd really be rolling the dice on hospital/hospitel bill of up to 150k baht?

Am I understanding the situation correctly?

3 hours ago, dcgm said:

I've unfortunately hit another hitch (maybe a deal breaker) & that's insurance for the Thailand Pass.
It looks like there are reports of people being forced to go to a hospital/hospitel if they test positive but are asymptomatic - is that the normal process?
The issue being that no insurers I can find will cover asymptomatic cases (this makes sense really).

If the hotel where your are staying for the first night when you do the test will let you do the isolation there you do not need to go to a hospital or hospitel.

Have looked here for the insurance. https://tqm-app.com/static/thailandpass/index.html