Mother and new lover under suspicion in death of one year old boy in Bangkok

webfact

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Ratburana police were called to a house in Soi Pracha-uthit 14 on Monday evening after the death of a one year four months old boy.

When officers arrived Jit Phiwngam, 48, was cradling the dead infant named as Nong Nawa. 

Nawa's mother Panatda Daranonbutr, 21, was in floods of tears. 

The child had been dead between 2 and 3 hours, reported Thai Rath, apparently from blunt force trauma. He was bruised with a split lip. 

The child's step father Koji Nanthawong, 23, was taken into custody. 

Panatda told investigators that she is a karaoke worker. Her husband died in September of last year and she met Koji two months ago. He is a delivery rider for Lalamove. 

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

She said that she had been at work until morning. When she returned the baby was in his cot but died by 3 pm. 

Koji has many charges for drugs against his name. 

The pair have been separated as they give evidence after many inconsistencies in the mother's evidence arose. 

She initially claimed that Koji was out when police arrived but he was hiding in the house. 

He denied attacking the child. 

The body of the infant was handed to Poh Teck Tung rescue for an autopsy at Sirirat Hospital. 

Investigations continue. 

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-15

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 4

I saw this very sad story on Thai news last night. They showed the deceased child’s face close up before the  body bag was closed.  It was blurred but you can still make it out. 
I know countries do things differently.  But showing a deceased child I feel is in bad taste. Let him him RIP.  No need to broadcast his photo on television for sensationalism even though blurred. 

Edited by swm59nj
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

I saw this very sad story on Thai news last night. They showed the deceased child’s face close up before the  body bag was closed.  It was blurred but you can still make it out. 
I know countries do things differently.  But showing a deceased child I feel is in bad taste. Let him him RIP.  No need to broadcast his photo on television for sensationalism even though blurred. 

You believe that people should not be shown reality? If they were it might make some people more aware of what does or could happen. Thailand might like to consider doing that forcefully every evening at the scene of a road accident.

• Like 1

I heard from a families law enforcement official that the single biggest danger to a young child is the mother's new live-in boyfriend.

B e w a r e!

This kind of killing is common as muck - in the UK too.