Healthy Thai Food

cneuy3

I'm looking to eat some healthy Thai food. Right now my diet consists mostly of Pizza and Subway. The Thai food I like the most is Pad Thai and I eat alot of Khao pot Kai, Khao pot Gai, etc. However, these are fried foods. Can someone recommend me some Thai dishes that are healthier? I guess the new diet is High protein, low card so any thai foods that fit that mold?

Thanks.

som dtum and Lab moo / Lab gai are a good start. Throw in some mangoes and your all set. Khao Mun Gai is boiled chicken, tastes great with out oil involved and Khao mok gai is yellow curry rice, a southern muslim dish, very tastey, also try eatings stuff like grapow gai, pad pet', all on plain rice, stop eating khao pad.. Also you should check into/ learn about curries, gang keow wan, penang, gang dang, all really good, i know it sucks with the names in romanized form ( i hate it my self but dontknow the thai spelling of these) also can never go wrong with khao dom or joke.. if you are into cooking for your self you should get rid of the white rice and get some dark rice ( khao dang ) and make some veggie stirfrys.. after trying out some of these dishes i think you will find the whole "fry everything" concept very boring and bland.

if you are really interested in some of these dishes maybe someone else on here can give you some thai script spellings of some of the above so you can order them with ease ( bambina perhapZ? )

som dtum and Lab moo / Lab gai are a good start. Throw in some mangoes and your all set. Khao Mun Gai is boiled chicken, tastes great with out oil involved and Khao mok gai is yellow curry rice, a southern muslim dish, very tastey, also try eatings stuff like grapow gai, pad pet', all on plain rice, stop eating khao pad.. Also you should check into/ learn about curries, gang keow wan, penang, gang dang, all really good, i know it sucks with the names in romanized form ( i hate it my self but dontknow the thai spelling of these) also can never go wrong with khao dom or joke.. if you are into cooking for your self you should get rid of the white rice and get some dark rice ( khao dang ) and make some veggie stirfrys.. after trying out some of these dishes i think you will find the whole "fry everything" concept very boring and bland.

if you are really interested in some of these dishes maybe someone else on here can give you some thai script spellings of some of the above so you can order them with ease ( bambina perhapZ? )

Thanks my friend. I'll show them to my Thai girlfriend when I get a chance.

Howdy,

I like to hunt mushrooms, so I like Pad Hed (Thai Stir-fry with Mushrooms), Lap Hed (Mushroom Yum), and Pad Pak Ruom Mit Hed (Stir-fried Vegs with Mushrooms) :o . All very good with rice and easy to cook or order at the resturant. Lap Hed is good with sticky rice and fried chicken, but I'm sure it's good with steamed chicken also. :D

Chung *j*

If you want to eat healthy Thai food, take Thai cooking class. You will not only learn to cook for yourself but also you will learn what ingredients go into specific dishes. Therefore, you will be able to make much better choices in restaurants. Best thing I ever done.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking to eat some healthy Thai food. Right now my diet consists mostly of Pizza and Subway. The Thai food I like the most is Pad Thai and I eat alot of Khao pot Kai, Khao pot Gai, etc. However, these are fried foods. Can someone recommend me some Thai dishes that are healthier? I guess the new diet is High protein, low card so any thai foods that fit that mold?

Thanks.

Thai healthy food it's make from alot of vegetable

if you want to lost weight and like spicy food I will recommended Nam Prick Pla Too with vegetable

Edited by sunisa

If you're in BK, check out a little place at the foot of BTS Saladeng station, right next to Central Shopping Center. They do healthy Thai food with organic ingredients. I think it's called Wai Thai. Great taste, good price, friendly staff, and very, very clean place. Try it out soon. They might not stay open long. It seems that most Thais and tourists aren't really concerned about healthy food because the place doesn't get a whole lot of customer despite its good location. I love the food there. Low fat, low sodium, and super fresh veggies. Plenty of cooking ideas too.

i miss jok,sort of a blended rice porridge with minced pork,& an egg that cooks in it.looks like prison food,but i like it.

tom yam is obviously low fat,even if in some places they put abit of coconut milk in it.

phat si yuu-wide noodles with pak kaa na.

i like gaeng baa gai,a country style soup without coconut milk.

nam tok neua,a spicy beef salad issan style.

som tam mak muang,som tam,but with sour mango.

i think most of the thai soups are healthy,the coconut milk may have a fair bit of fat in it,but its healthy fat.

• 1 month later...

Som tum; ส้มฅำ

Larb moo; ลาบหมู

Khao mun gai; ข้าวมันไก่

Gaeng gai; แกงไก่

Jok; โจ้ก

Hope that helps a bit...

dave

I absolutely love Jok, and we often get it in the mornings, or very late after clubbing. It's a rice soup with minced pork balls, ginger, etc.., and with an added egg is even better. Add some Macky sauce on top and delightful. If any of you know the Chinese dish congee, Jok is similar but much more tasty.

In Bangkok, a very famous place that has been around forever and well known to Jok afficionados open from about 2AM to 9AM is a place on Phaya Thai road near Rama IV, and there are also street vendors in Suan Plu and other places selling it.

* for those of you new to Thailand, it's pronounced "joke." Ask your doorman to get a motorbike taxi to go find it for you. They know all the small holes that sell it. cheap too. Hard to find outside Bangkok often. Even in Bangkok, sometimes hard to find.

Edited by chinthee

Most readers here won't agree with me, but I think 'healthy Thai food' is an oxymoron. It's interesting that 'cool guy cory' mentions muslim food, because my favorite restaurant in my town is a little Muslim place with four dishes. The quality and tastes are superior to anything I can find in the hundreds of local Thai places. I could probably add 'healthfulness' to that list, but I don't know intricate details of all dishes in all restaurants.

Suffice to say that more often than not, when I eat at a Thai restaurant, I regret it later due to headaches, MSG effects, overly spiced, too much shortening, and overall lifelessness of Thai food. Again, that's just my one opinion and I'm sure most of you'all will vehemently disagree.

Slightly off-topic, but Thai places also score bad for having soap in restaurant washrooms. If there's any soap at all, it's a tiny sliver about the size of a half almond.

.....Khao mok gai is yellow curry rice, a southern muslim dish, very tastey,

Most readers here won't agree with me, but I think 'healthy Thai food' is an oxymoron. It's interesting that 'cool guy cory' mentions muslim food, because my favorite restaurant in my town is a little Muslim place with four dishes. The quality and tastes are superior to anything I can find in the hundreds of local Thai places. I could probably add 'healthfulness' to that list, but I don't know intricate details of all dishes in all restaurants.

Suffice to say that more often than not, when I eat at a Thai restaurant, I regret it later due to headaches, MSG effects, overly spiced, too much shortening, and overall lifelessness of Thai food. Again, that's just my one opinion and I'm sure most of you'all will vehemently disagree.

Slightly off-topic, but Thai places also score bad for having soap in restaurant washrooms. If there's any soap at all, it's a tiny sliver about the size of a half almond.

.....Khao mok gai is yellow curry rice, a southern muslim dish, very tastey,

bburgers, your MSG problems are easily solved in most cases in LOS. Merely ask them not to put MSG into your food. In Thai, you say "mai sai charote" or mai sai pung charote. I've misspelled this intentionally to give you the English pronunciation. I know very well, because I am allergic to MSG and it gives me an immediate headache.

You mentioned mulim food. Most are pre-prepared curries, etc., and all are LOADED with MSG. Start eating freshly-prepared food to order and your troubles are over, and cheaply at most street food places.

• 2 weeks later...

try the food at the blood type cafe in the verasu building in ploenchit. if not just for the meal then for ideas about how to make thai food with less sugar and fat.

they suffer from a very unfortunate name (and a weird location on top of an appliance store) but they have super healthy thai food -- brown rice, brown rice noodles, lots of veggies, soy milk instead of coconut milk in the curries.

some veg and vegan, but they have meat, too.

the cafe is centered around the idea that you eat according to blood type and they give suggestions for different meals depending. you can totally ignore that and just enjoy the food.

yummy desserts (western) made with spelt. no idea why spelt is so good for you but they taste good anyway.

Edited by bbw