Centrelink & Australia

On 3/30/2022 at 5:05 PM, Lucky Bones said:

Yes. I have good private cover throo a international mob for here, and as I understand it, Aus as well.

Naturally I will be double, triple checking these things.

I do recall reading on a web site that a 6 month wait is required for Medicare.

Australia....treating ex-pats like lepers?

Cheers

Do you have to be inside Australia for those 6 months, or can you apply, head back to Thailand, and they send the card in 6 months?  

I have international insurance, but never let my Medicare expire.  I keep it as a back up.  Every time I am in Australia, I go to a bulk bill clinic for a check up, not because I really need  check up, although it can't hurt, but to flag up on the Medicare system as active.  For me, it's part of not burning my bridges.

Edited by KhunHeineken

6 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Do you have to be inside Australia for those 6 months, or can you apply, head back to Thailand, and they send the card in 6 months?  

I have international insurance, but never let my Medicare expire.  I keep it as a back up.  Every time I am in Australia, I go to a bulk bill clinic for a check up, not because I really need  check up, although it can't hurt, but to flag up on the Medicare system as active.  For me, it's part of not burning my bridges.

Good question of which I know not the answer.

At this stage I only have gut feelings for many things including Medicare and drivers licence.

I still have 12 months until heading back.

3 Financial planners services have not returned e-mails for whatever reasons.

Looks like it will take to face contact to sort most things out.

As I said earlier I haven't been back for some 7 years so anything may apply.

I just hope Centrelink is not similar to Thai I O's where rules vary on a daily basis depending on who serves you????????