Case dismissed: Granddad cleared of rape against 11 year old granddaughter in NE Thailand

webfact

4pm1.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that the court in Kalasin in north east Thailand had thrown out charges against a 66 year old man after police alleged he raped his own 11 year old granddaughter. 

The P5 child got pregnant and died from complications towards the end of 2020.

Suspicion fell on Prayoon Sridakaew after the girl's mother went to the police.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

But he denied raping the child saying that he loved and cared for her. 

Prayoon's wife and the father of the child, Prayoon's son, stood by him as did other relatives who were at the court yesterday to hear what they viewed as a welcome judgement for their family. 

The court decided that the victim had died from brain cancer and that there was no evidence of sexual assault. 

There was no case to answer due to insufficient evidence the court said in its 30 minute reading. 

The case happened in Sahaskhan district.

The relatives indicated they all wanted to put the case behind them despite the considerable negative comments about Prayoon on places like social media.  

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-17

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

Just now, soi3eddie said:

An eleven year old becoming pregnant could only have been a case of rape sexual assault. A DNA test of the foetus and the alleged perpetrator would have conclusively proved if the grandfather was guilty. Sad story for the whole family.

Beat me.

32 minutes ago, animatic said:

Just throwing this out there

Child may have died of brain cancer

after huge tumours in her abdomen looked like she was pregnant. No one thought past 11 year old with big belly.

The tumours metastasised into her whole body, and when in her brain it killed her.

People assumed she was pregnant and didn’t look farther. But we’re happy to look for a rapist in her proximity.

There was no talk about the autopsy showing a fetus for DNA testing.

I would think test of the local well and her home environment would show carcinogens.

But the provincial medical staff might have mis-diagnosed her as pregnant, and don’t want to lose face for assuming something very wrong. Something that caused her grandfather to be raked over the coals.

This was in the article, perhaps you didn't read it?
"The P5 child got pregnant and died from complications towards the end of 2020."

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

An eleven year old becoming pregnant could only have been a case of rape sexual assault. A DNA test of the foetus and the alleged perpetrator would have conclusively proved if the grandfather was guilty. Sad story for the whole family.

Yes precisely.  If not the grandfather then that would put it beyond doubt and allow the police to DNA test close relatives and family "friends".  I won't hold my breath on that though, no money to be made.

17 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

"The P5 child got pregnant and died from complications towards the end of 2020."

That was the charge but they had no proof.  The only way you do not have proof of sexual assault on a "pregnant" person is if there is no fetus.  

That is the same as police charging a person with drunk driving and the person blowing under the legal amount but stoned from Mary jane. 

Actually, reading the article in Thai Rath (via Google Translate, but still) it doesn't seem totally clear whether she was pregnant or not.

The article says her family claimed she was suffering from an ectopic pregnancy but it doesn't say that this was confirmed by any qualified medical practitioner.

Because if she was actually pregnant, then the statement that there was no sexual assault, is clearly nonsensical.

Some more clarity is required, methinks.

• Like 1

When I read the headline, and SIGHED... I was thinking to ask... So did the grandfather agree marry the child he had allegedly sexually assaulted and impregnated?

And then I read further into the article to realize the poor girl had died -- apparently from complications from the pregnancy.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The relatives indicated they all wanted to put the case behind them despite the considerable negative comments about Prayoon on places like social media.

Anyone wants to bet on hos long Prayoon will live before he will be found dead on "complications of brain cancer (.38 bullet in the forehead)?

15 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

No need to get hostile, I was agreeing with you. 

Geeze, see ya, Mr cranky. 

You quoted "no sexual assault" as being words that I had used, without showing the context. This gave the clear impression that I was the one saying there was no sexual assault. 

And I'm sorry but yes, I do sometimes tend to get a little cranky when people quote me as saying something I didn't.

Just now, GroveHillWanderer said:

You quoted "no sexual assault" as being words that I had used, without showing the context. This gave the clear impression that I was the one saying there was no sexual assault. 

And I'm sorry but yes, I do sometimes tend to get a little cranky when people quote me as saying something I didn't.

No problem, thanks for the kind reply 

This report is lacking the obvious detail that nearly every reader here would be asking about - DNA.  

It's a slam dunk case that only requires a match or a non-match.  

The case thrown out relating to cause of death, but no mention of any rape charges.  So acquitted of murder/manslaughter due to a likely autopsy finding of death concerning brain cancer, not pregnancy complications.  

But the rape matter is a separate offence.  

I think this report is missing a lot of details and hopefully the full details reveal exactly what's gone on here.  Otherwise we can only speculate on what we read here. 

Edited by aussienam

22 minutes ago, aussienam said:

This report is lacking the obvious detail that nearly every reader here would be asking about - DNA.  

It's a slam dunk case that only requires a match or a non-match.  

The case thrown out relating to cause of death, but no mention of any rape charges.  So acquitted of murder/manslaughter due to a likely autopsy finding of death concerning brain cancer, not pregnancy complications.  

But the rape matter is a separate offence.  

I think this report is missing a lot of details. 

As pointed out by another poster, the original Thai article doesn't actually say "she was pregnant", so this is probably just a wrong translation leading to confusion.

I guess that this all stems from a misdiagnosis by a doctor/nurse. The parents were told that the girl is pregnant, which lead them into filing charges against the grandfather.

The autopsy later showed that the girl wasn't actually pregnant, and that she died from cancer. Case closed.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/17/2022 at 5:11 PM, HappyExpat57 said:

I did read it. And it looks like a face saving exercise that is not doing it.  Again if they wanted to identify the alleged rapist test the fetus. If not why not? No fetus? No rape?

I gave a plausible back country explanation.

Child died of complications from cancer that eventually hit her brain. But it would make sense it was in her body/belly earlier causing a mis-diagnosis of pregnancy, leading to a witch hunt for a rapist.

The poor girl dies of rampaging cancer which finally entered her brain.  And some edjit says ‘complications’ for pregnancy, and doctors who missed the cancer say nothing to save face.

Grandfather is stitched up for months til autopsy finally shows child died from ‘complications of brain cancer’. But nothing stated it was not all through her body making her seem pregnant to country doctors, who missed it.

Edited by animatic