British passport and UK driving license renewal

1 hour ago, Brick Top said:

I would have preferred that it went to the Consular team , I have heard from my neighbor yesterday ( who is the ex Australian consulate) that as of April 5th  British passport can be renewed in Phuket . I am very well aware of the existing procedure of having to go to Bangkok in person.  Also I am aware of lots of older posts regarding this issue , I read the two Asean Now  newsletters in full every day and have lived here 21 years.

Whilst you're waiting for a response from the Consular Team, though has been pointed the renewal of passports isn't a Consular issue, maybe I can help you by confirming that personal appointments for the renewal at the HMPO offices can only currently be made in Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

A number of agents have popped up, up and down the country, who will for a fee, typically 5,000 Baht on top of the HMPO fee for renewal and courier delivery from the UK to the Visa Application Centre, deliver your application to the HMPO's agents, and collect the new passport on your behalf.

I suspect it's one of the private agents that your friend refers to.

I note from your screen shot that the Consular Section states that forum members can respond to questions, maybe this is why other members have tried to be helpful and responded.

• Thanks 1

Your faith in the British Embassy to do any more than refer you to the relevant Government Department's websites is quite touching. You already have advice about passport renewal, here's your starting point re Driving Licence renewal: -

Renew your driving licence - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Note that one of the requirements for an online application is - 

"to be a resident of Great Britain - there’s a different service in Northern Ireland"

I did renew once from here when I was 70, using my son's address, but I didn't bother three years later. Apart from the fact that I could hire a car with my Thai licence, and if I ever get back to Blighty I really don't want to drive there any more, the application form requires you to sign a declaration that all the info supplied is true, and you are subject to a fine and/or time in chokey if it isn't. I was slightly uneasy about giving an address where I am not resident, which could be a hostage to fortune if there was a police investigation following an accident, then licence and insurance declared invalid. A long shot, perhaps, but I prefer to sleep easy in my bed.

I can not envisage DVLA issuing a licence to you in Phuket. If the Consulate can advise any different, I willingly yield to their superior knowledge.

• Like 2

The only way you can renew a UK driving licence is with a UK address.  Easy to do online, but you'll need the UK address.  Passport renewals are straightforward - loads of links and reports in the appropriate forum pages.  If you're in Phuket you'll need an agent to do the legwork, unless you fancy a trip to Bangkok (or Chiang Mai).

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2022 at 1:41 PM, Brick Top said:

a UK expat living in Phuket

Then why do you need a British Driver's License? You're not really supposed to have one if you're not ordinarily resident in the UK. For visits to the UK, you can legally drive on your Thai issued license for up to one year. Sounds crazy, but it's true. You live in Thailand, it's entirely reasonable to use your Thai license.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 2

Passport renewal - deal with VFS.

Driving licence renewal - Do online (you need a UK address to post the licence to).

-----

Arguably (or rather legally) if you are not a UK resident and live oversees and have an overseas licences you ‘should’ hand back your UK licence, no one ever does, no one checks - that regulation is somewhat daft and unenforceable so its a non-issue. 

From the AA website:

What you need to renew your licence online
  • A valid UK passport.
  • To be a resident of Great Britain – there’s a different service in Northern Ireland.
  • Address history for the past 3 years.
  • Your current driving licence – if you don’t have it you must say why in your application.
  • Your National Insurance number – if you know it.

The DVLA will use your current passport photo for your new licence if you have a digital passport. If you don’t want the DVLA to use this photo or they can’t use it, you’ll need to send a photo in the post.

- To the other poster discussing how long it was taking - I renewed mine last year whilst in the UK and got it back in just over ONE week ( Note: This was my experience as I'd renewed my UK passport a year or two earlier and they had my details on file )

Regards

Edited by Pmbkk

Thanks to all who posted helpful comments on here , just to let you all know the British Embassy or Consulate Team Screenshot_20220329-154616_Outlook.thumb.jpg.cf826b6e16d65e94d5dd53108236550f.jpgdid not even bother replying as many members had said they wouldn't.

I wonder then why they advertise on here that members can ask a question directly to The British Consular Team when they dont even bother to respond in any way.

20220329_160416.jpg

Edited by Brick Top
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 9:12 PM, Mikeheo said:

I' m in the same boat, need to do this also but hearing it's taking 10-11 weeks now which is a ridiculous timeframe.

So start the renewal process at least say 13 weeks before hand or longer. You know when it expires.

23 hours ago, blackcab said:

Because, as I explained to you previously, the British Embassy does not have anything to do with passports or passport applications.

This was explained to you quite clearly.

The British Embassy is part of the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office. Passports are issued by the Home Office. It is very normal for one government ministry not to advise on matters relating to a different government ministry.

You wouldn't expect the Forestry Commission to give out advice regarding policies of the Department of Work & Pensions, for example.

The British Embassy does reply to questions from members, but these questions tend to be about help for vulnerable expats in Thailand, or assistance for UK citizens detained by the Thai police, or matters relating to documentary services provided by the consular team, or various outreach activities, etc.

The moderating team is here to help members in the best way we can. If you would like your topic moved to the UK forum please let us know.

What a complete idiot I am then , who in there right mind would be stupid enough to consult the British Embassy about advice on renewing a British passport.

I should as you said gone directly to the Home Office for advice instead of asking the British Consular team .

• Haha 1