Chiang Mai gets tough on burners! Two areas off limits and threats of prison

webfact

4pm.jpg

Daily News Thai Caption: Up to ten years in prison

Daily News reported that the authorities in Chiang Mai were getting tough on people who burn fields and other areas causing the nothern province to splutter annually. 

After liaising with forestry officials the provincial governor Prajon Pratsakul has issued an order banning people from enagaging in any activity in two protected areas.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

These are known as Pa San Sai and Pa Mae Orn. 

Particularly restricted is any burning.

Fines of us to 200,000 baht and a prison term of 1 -10 years are in place for offenders. 

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-25

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Blah blah blah!  Rinse....repeat!  Ok bye, see you all again next year!

I heard the Thai government has developed a system now which is tied to Yahoo Calendar where these press releases are saved and the default set so they are automatically released to the media on set dates every year to save them having to type them up every year.

• Haha 1

Huge fines on the landowners not those that simply work the land, sadly  the landowners are the elite and those in power so that won't happen

Thankfully the last 3 years have not been too bad thanks to unseasonal rainfall but the minute it stops the burning starts again.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Either the government starts to encourage farmers to switch to more environmentally friendly crops, or they start to penalize farmers for burning.

Why should it be either or? Wouldn't it be best to do both? Then maybe the farmers would change their way and move into the 21st century.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2022 at 2:46 PM, Jimbo2014 said:

Im not sure whether its me who is delusional or you are just use to sucking in the good old camp fire smell.  I have friends who live there and they report very differently to you, albeit this year is much better, it would still be considered toxic in most developed countries.  Previous years have been unlivable.  Chaing Mai has topped the most polluted city list for several years in a row.   This was a recurring article the last few years:  https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2080855/chiang-mai-the-most-polluted-city-on-earth

I don't need friends to confirm, if there is a burning or not.

Here in the Mae Hong Son area it is total diferent to many years before. You can breath a fresh air, see the mountains in the background very clear after the fog has disapeared in the early morning hours. All the years before we had to flee the smoke and relaxed in Hua Hin until the burning stopped.

Market people of our village reported already that Chiang Mai was clear this year, and the same happened here. The officials had given a stronger, serious warning. In addition we had rain on same days. Within the last 3 nights only 1 minute! I said to my wife, better than no rain. The tookay under our roof also tells us every late evening that he likes the clean air and the insects!

On 3/28/2022 at 8:46 AM, Jimbo2014 said:

Im not sure whether its me who is delusional or you are just use to sucking in the good old camp fire smell.  I have friends who live there and they report very differently to you, albeit this year is much better, it would still be considered toxic in most developed countries.  Previous years have been unlivable.  Chaing Mai has topped the most polluted city list for several years in a row.   This was a recurring article the last few years:  https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2080855/chiang-mai-the-most-polluted-city-on-earth

That is just for a few days per year though .

For a few days per year CM has the worst pollution in the world .

If the figure were for the whole year , then CM wouldn't be the Worlds most polluted city , because the pollution is bad for just a few days/weeks per year

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is just for a few days per year though .

For a few days per year CM has the worst pollution in the world .

If the figure were for the whole year , then CM wouldn't be the Worlds most polluted city , because the pollution is bad for just a few days/weeks per year

Its been way more than a few days.  The image below is from this morning, a random day in April.  The big burn was suppose to end around March.  The big burn now goes from November to April.  Like I said previously, I think you have just normalized it and can no longer tell... but your body can! Cancer rates are through the roof in Thailand now, likely a result of pollution and excess sugar.  Studies estimate 32000 premature deaths annually from pollution in Thailand.  That's way more than the sum total of deaths attributed to Covid over 2 years of a pandemic and look at how the government has panicked over that.  Yet the pollution issue goes largely unaddressed.    

image.png.19ff19df61421fb6a8fa479f6c6e6b7e.png

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, puck2 said:

I don't need friends to confirm, if there is a burning or not.

Here in the Mae Hong Son area it is total diferent to many years before. You can breath a fresh air, see the mountains in the background very clear after the fog has disapeared in the early morning hours. All the years before we had to flee the smoke and relaxed in Hua Hin until the burning stopped.

Market people of our village reported already that Chiang Mai was clear this year, and the same happened here. The officials had given a stronger, serious warning. In addition we had rain on same days. Within the last 3 nights only 1 minute! I said to my wife, better than no rain. The tookay under our roof also tells us every late evening that he likes the clean air and the insects!

Pictured below... pollution Chaing Mai today.  I cant see how you can say this is clear.

image.png.32a1cebc5a7f9c5b496451be4fa8ecb8.png

20 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Its been way more than a few days.  The image below is from this morning, a random day in April.  The big burn was suppose to end around March.  The big burn now goes from November to April.  Like I said previously, I think you have just normalized it and can no longer tell... but your body can! Cancer rates are through the roof in Thailand now, likely a result of pollution and excess sugar.  Studies estimate 32000 premature deaths annually from pollution in Thailand.  That's way more than the sum total of deaths attributed to Covid over 2 years of a pandemic and look at how the government has panicked over that.  Yet the pollution issue goes largely unaddressed.    

image.png.19ff19df61421fb6a8fa479f6c6e6b7e.png

Thats not extremely bad though .

Extremely bad and worst in the World is when it gets into the 300's

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Thats not extremely bad though .

Extremely bad and worst in the World is when it gets into the 300's

Ive just picked a random day. Remember the bush fires in Australia - people were freaking out when it hit over 150 in Sydney.  Chaing Mai has normalized this level of pollution to the point of you calling it not bad.  I appreciate that this year is better than last year, I appreciate your comment that it is not all year, but I think you are not being objective in your assessment of the level of pollution you are experiencing.  I would also intimate that this year may have been less because of the Chinese Olympics, and the usual sludge emanating from the industrial belt during the winter southern air flows was less this year.

On 3/28/2022 at 2:46 PM, Jimbo2014 said:

Previous years have been unlivable

Which previous years have been unliveable?

I have lived here in CM for 22 years have never left the area in Feb-May and as far as I know I am still alive as are my neighbours and friends!

Please curtail the hyperbole as it just makes a mockery of the rest of your post(s)!

• Sad 1

On 3/25/2022 at 5:13 AM, Lacessit said:

I have noticed in Chiang Rai the pollution is definitely less than it was last year at the same time. I don't even need to run my air purifiers, API readings of 50 - 60. Last year, we were nudging 500 occasionally.

Whether that is due to increased enforcement, or the sporadic rainfall we seem to be getting, is anyone's guess.

I saw that too, good news.
March-april are usually the very worst... Let's see what will be this month.
If authorities start to really enforce the law, there is hope.

If Thailand could be the first to fix this HEALTH BIG PROBLEM (pollution kills more than smoking), then Myanmar, Laos, China, and Indonesia, maybe could follow ?...

2 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

If Thailand could be the first to fix this HEALTH BIG PROBLEM (pollution kills more than smoking), then Myanmar, Laos, China, and Indonesia, maybe could follow ?...

42 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

It rained most of yesterday, quite cold south of Chiang Rai. IMO it's probably unseasonal rain is clearing the air, not many try lighting fires when it is wet.

On 4/1/2022 at 9:08 AM, DezLez said:

Which previous years have been unliveable?

I have lived here in CM for 22 years have never left the area in Feb-May and as far as I know I am still alive as are my neighbours and friends!

Please curtail the hyperbole as it just makes a mockery of the rest of your post(s)!

I really think you have normalized and have become oblivious to it.  I understand that my arguments cannot and will not persuade someone as determined as you.  You have somehow filtered out the numerous articles and research available on it and prefer to rely on your sunrise assessment.  therefore I post for you a proper analysis of Chaing Mai pollution by a researcher.

https://www.chiangmaidoctor.com/burning-season