Medical/Covid-19 Insurance for entering Thailand - length of coverage required

Does anyone have first-hand knowledge on the length of health insurance coverage required to re-enter Thailand? I have a retirement extension through January 2023 and will be traveling to Europe - for the first time in over two years - in early April. Is 90 days of coverage adequate or must I have coverage until my extension expires? I'm aware that the amount has been reduced to $20,000 and expect that this may be dropped later in the year. I don't want to buy more than necessary. Thanks in advance.

You will only need 30 day of covid 19 insurance. Many people have entered with only 30 days of insurance.

When doing the application for the Thailand Pass select returning to Thailand and eliminates the need for a departure date.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will only need 30 day of covid 19 insurance. Many people have entered with only 30 days of insurance.

When doing the application for the Thailand Pass select returning to Thailand and eliminates the need for a departure date.

That's really helpful. Thanks!

41 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

How do you eliminate the departure date? 

25 minutes ago, EricTh said:

How do you eliminate the departure date? 

Exactly as a wrote in my post. 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Try it you yourself by starting a application for one of the options shown on the Thailand Pass site. 

image.png.a4f6d1671ac2e147ab3d597e4f8d9c44.png

Note there is no departure date shown in the above screenshot.

• Like 2

MY case- retirement visa about to be extended for 12 months -So far no mandatory medical insurance.

But I'm leaving Thailand immediately I get the extension.

I return -Now I have to buy medical insurance ok no problem , but insurance is 30 day restricted .

I intend to remain in Thailand for another 12 months -But my insurance cover has lapsed 

The question is do I have get another 30 day block of insurance and continue to do so until my retirement visa comes up for extending .

Darren of Key Visa indicated that a 30 day only insurance policy will result in visa length being limited to only 30 days.

Can anybody give some light on this 

Thank You

2 hours ago, masterpasser said:

MY case- retirement visa about to be extended for 12 months -So far no mandatory medical insurance.

But I'm leaving Thailand immediately I get the extension.

I return -Now I have to buy medical insurance ok no problem , but insurance is 30 day restricted .

I intend to remain in Thailand for another 12 months -But my insurance cover has lapsed 

The question is do I have get another 30 day block of insurance and continue to do so until my retirement visa comes up for extending .

Darren of Key Visa indicated that a 30 day only insurance policy will result in visa length being limited to only 30 days.

Can anybody give some light on this 

Thank You

Insurance for Thailand Pass has nothing to do with your length of extension of stay.  30-day covid insurance cover is sufficient.  I am on extension of stay (Retirement) until Sept2022.  I came back with 30 day covid insurance for Thailand Pass application this month.  No problem.  In the Thailand Pass application just "tick" returning to Thailand.

• Like 1

My re-entry permit for retirement extension expired today. I booked a one way flight for July 2 and planning to enter with a Tourist visa for 60-day. I don't know how long I will stay but at least three months. Do I need to book an insurance for 60-day if TP is still required by July? Do I need a return ticket for a TV?

On 3/26/2022 at 8:32 AM, ubonjoe said:

I had the same question. Thanks for the answer, ubonjoe. 

4 hours ago, arminbkk said:

Can anyone recommend from experience a Thai insurer to obtain the required Covid travel insurance from, online?

How much does such insurance cost, for let's say 30-day cover?

This is the cheapest I see. 650 baht for 30-day. Not from my experience. If I have to buy for my July trip (if TP is required by then), I would buy from here. 
https://tqm-app.com/static/thailandpass/index.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Onerak said:

This is the cheapest I see. 650 baht for 30-day. Not from my experience. If I have to buy for my July trip (if TP is required by then), I would buy from here. 
https://tqm-app.com/static/thailandpass/index.html

1 of those 3 policies require a 14 day waiting period, the other two don't, and are priced at THB1,780 & THB2,408 respectively.

On 3/26/2022 at 8:32 AM, ubonjoe said:

You will only need 30 day of covid 19 insurance. Many people have entered with only 30 days of insurance. ...

ubonjoe,  Thanks for a clear answer.  What is the basis for the 30 days?  It seems 30 days would be applicable to tourist.  But, people with a Thailand visa may be presumed to stay until the visa ends, which would easily be more than 30 days.

Today, I watched a youtube video on the subject of the $20,000 covid insurance required for all entering Thailand.  It was on "everything Pattaya" channel.  Titled "Visa to Thailand, Retirement Visa ..." and dated March 25, 2022.  The visa expert interviewed was Darien, Key Visa Co.  He stated that one common misunderstanding by retirement visa holder returning to Thailand on a re-entry permit is insurance for 30 days, instead of insurance for the remainding period of their visa which could be many months.  And, he said, such returnees would be denied entrance.  Actual experience?

Who is right?  30 days or life of your visa?  I plan to read the comments to that video to find out if others have experienced this situation.

Also, I looked at the web site, www.tgia.org .  I ticked non-O visa, but the site did two things.  First, it still is selling $50,000 covid insurance.  Second, it only listed one option for 30 days and no other time period.  Age was not asked.  Price was THB 3,700 if flying from the Philippines.

Is the covid insurance required from a Thai company?

One interesting web site for various travel insurances with medical coverage is www.travelinsurance.com .  But, age is asked and accordingly priced high for the older applicant.  Will the purchased insurance yield a paper that clearly states the dollar amount of covid coverage? 

Thailand Pass approval involves the embassy/consulate of your country of departure?  I asked because I emailed the embassy in Manila and asked if non-O visa holders was required to have health or medical insurance ($100,000 minimum) -- which was a debated question several months ago.  But, the embassy replied about six months later and gave a non-answer.  Up to about two months ago, Manila was under a lockdown that closed businesses and other operations.

Thanks in advance for informed comments.  Kindly refrain from opinions, speculations, hearsay.  Please distinguish between the hard "requirements" and "practices" as told by reliable friends.

13 minutes ago, Grin Grasser said:

Today, I watched a youtube video on the subject of the $20,000 covid insurance required for all entering Thailand.  It was on "everything Pattaya" channel. 

Your first mistake, YouTube.

Reenter Thailand with reentry permit would require 30 day covid insurance.

You would be stamped in till expiry on your reentry permit.

If entering on for example visa such as valid non O-A you would require insurance 30 days and would be stamped in for 12 months. 

Edited by DrJack54

17 minutes ago, Grin Grasser said:

Kindly refrain from opinions, speculations, hearsay.  Please distinguish between the hard "requirements" and "practices" as told by reliable friends

Scaremongering at the best.

Many threads on what your asking about. 

Anyone re-enter with permit will be stamped in till date of permit and 30 day insurance will suffice. 

5 hours ago, MaiDong said:

1 of those 3 policies require a 14 day waiting period, the other two don't, and are priced at THB1,780 & THB2,408 respectively.

My mate bought one of the 650THB policies 7 days before returning to Thailand & had no problems using it to support his Thailand Pass application.

Edit: NB He didn't need the cover as he's fully insured through the company he works for but was having problems getting HR to send him something he could use for the pass so it was simpler to spend the 650THB

Edited by Mike Teavee

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your first mistake, YouTube.

Reenter Thailand with reentry permit would require 30 day covid insurance.

You would be stamped in till expiry on your reentry permit.

If entering on for example visa such as valid non O-A you would require insurance 30 days and would be stamped in for 12 months. 

I appreciate your response.  But, what is the source of your response.  Personal experience? 

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Scaremongering at the best.

Many threads on what your asking about. 

Anyone re-enter with permit will be stamped in till date of permit and 30 day insurance will suffice. 

Thanks for your comment.  I did a search on re-entry permit and this thread was the first on the list.  I presumed (my error) that this thread would encompass relevant facts from prior threads.

Also, I note that many comments here and wherever state information as though they were facts.  But, what is the source of the information?  How does a reader/viewer know that the information is fact?

I cited the source of my information.  The youtube video with Darren, Key Visa Co, who stated the need for insurance for the remaining time on the visa and not just 30 days.  It is his business.  So, is he soliciting more business, or is he giving his experience?  I do not know.  But I am leaning on what he says may be true -- however, let us double-checked.  Hence, my questions on this thread.

Knowing the facts will help me to decide on buying a re-entry permit, buying covid insurance (or travel insurance with medical coverage), when to leave and how to return to Thailand, and related.

13 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

My mate bought one of the 650THB policies 7 days before returning to Thailand & had no problems using it to support his Thailand Pass application.

Edit: NB He didn't need the cover as he's fully insured through the company he works for but was having problems getting HR to send him something he could use for the pass so it was simpler to spend the 650THB

Thanks.  Good to know.

Did your mate enter Thailand on a re-entry permit?

For your info, I too have medical insurance in the USA that will cover me outside USA.  But, the company will not answer if it will give me a paper that says I am covered for $100,,000, $50,000, or whatever Thailand is specifying as a minimum.  The company's answer was to phone an affiliate company that sells travel insurance; while at the same time the company's web site lists which hospital or doctor in Thailand can bill directly to the company.

How to explain this to Thailand Pass?  Easier to pay 650 baht.

21 minutes ago, Grin Grasser said:

Thanks.  Good to know.

Did your mate enter Thailand on a re-entry permit?

For your info, I too have medical insurance in the USA that will cover me outside USA.  But, the company will not answer if it will give me a paper that says I am covered for $100,,000, $50,000, or whatever Thailand is specifying as a minimum.  The company's answer was to phone an affiliate company that sells travel insurance; while at the same time the company's web site lists which hospital or doctor in Thailand can bill directly to the company.

How to explain this to Thailand Pass?  Easier to pay 650 baht.

He has a BOI Visa which is good for 2 or 3 years & multi-entry. 

I entered on a re-entry permit but have Pacific Cross Health Insurance which covers me beyond my next extension date & had no problems getting the appropriate letter from them   

I believe you'll have no problems re-entering on your re-entry permit with the 30 days cover (have seen UbonJoe post the same a view times) but if there is a problem, the only time it needs to be shown is when you apply for your Thailand Pass so you'll hopefully have plenty of time to get a longer policy.