SCB Bank EZ Savings Account - Where have Farangs successfully opened these Accounts?

I have been trying to open an EZ Savings Account with SCB Bank for over a month now (my tale of woe is reported under the topic heading "Opening a New Bank Account in Thailand").   For ease of comparison with your circumstances (Klaeng Branch has an multiple occasions taken copies of all these relevant documents):

*  I am Australian, resident in Thailand since 2004

*  I have Permanent Resident status since 2012, am married to a Thai national and have the Pink ID Card

*  I am included in our house's blue Tabien Baan (which of course is held by my wife)  

*  I have worked pretty well the whole time I have lived in Thailand - including currently under a valid Work Permit

*  I therefore have a Thai Tax registration and lodge annual returns (up to and including for 2021)

Yesterday, after 90 minutes of messing around (including downloading SCB Easy Net App onto my HP), SCB says that the EZ Savings Account is restricted to Thai citizens.  Have never heard such nonsense - such a restriction is NOT on the English version of their Product Sales Sheet, and farang folks here have apparently been successful in opening this type of account.  All this was to no avail, and I was sent packing having opened a Savings Account I don't want and in a very, very unhappy mood.

If you (as a farang) have been successful in opening this account, please advise which SCB Branch opened your account (details requested by the SCB Klaeng Branch).

https://www.scb.co.th/content/dam/scb/personal-banking/terms-conditions/deposits/ez-savings-account/tc-ez-savings-account-en.pdf

Specific Terms and Conditions for Opening the EZ Savings Account

1 The Applicant shall be an individual and have residence in Thailand. The Applicant shall have right to open
only 1 account of EZ Savings Account. EZ Savings Account shall be opened as individual account only; joint
account or group of people account is not allowed. The deposit amount shall be as prescribed by the Bank.

2 The Applicant shall use SCB Easy Application or SCB Easy Net with the Bank pursuant to the condition
prescribed by the Bank. In case the Applicant has not applied for such service, the Applicant shall apply for
such service on the date of opening account.

Do you currently have an SCB account?

If yes, then you can use the web-based portal Easy Net. You may have apply for the ability to use the mobile app SCB Easy

If yes, not seeing an issue with you opening a second EZ Savings account.

If no, open a regular savings account, apply for mobile banking. Then open an EZ account.

• Like 1

Do you currently have an SCB account?  YES - PASSBOOK SAVINGS ACCOUNT OPENED YESTERDAY

If yes, then you can use the web-based portal Easy Net. You may have apply for the ability to use the mobile app SCB Easy

If no, open a regular savings account, apply for mobile banking. Then open an EZ account.  HAVE DONE THE ABOVE - BUT THE BANK APPARENTLY NEEDED TO DO SOMETHING (APPROVAL/REGISTRATION/????) WHILE WE WERE IN THE BRANCH.  THAT'S WHEN THEY SAID IT'S NOT AVAILABLE TO FARANGS, AND SENT ME ON MY WAY (I gave them a copy of that Product Sheet but to no avail)

Hence, they asked for details about where EZ Savings Account had been approved (BTW - I've just emailed SCB to ask for confirmation about my eligibility) 

12 minutes ago, dinga said:

Do you currently have an SCB account?  YES - PASSBOOK SAVINGS ACCOUNT OPENED YESTERDAY

If no, open a regular savings account, apply for mobile banking. Then open an EZ account.  HAVE DONE THE ABOVE - BUT THE BANK APPARENTLY NEEDED TO DO SOMETHING (APPROVAL/REGISTRATION/????) WHILE WE WERE IN THE BRANCH.  THAT'S WHEN THEY SAID IT'S NOT AVAILABLE TO FARANGS, AND SENT ME ON MY WAY (I gave them a copy of that Product Sheet but to no avail)

Hence, they asked for details about where EZ Savings Account had been approved (BTW - I've just emailed SCB to ask for confirmation about my eligibility) 

Best to contact their call centre and stress your needs for the EZ account.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dinga said:

YES - PASSBOOK SAVINGS ACCOUNT OPENED YESTERDAY

OK. Did you apply for online banking when you opened the account yesterday? If not, then return and do so. If yes, it may take a few days? Ages ago I had to wait for a temporary password to arrive in the mail.

8 minutes ago, dinga said:

BRANCH DETAILS PLS

Why? Are you going to drive hundreds of kilometers just to open an account? I can see providing YOUR location and then asking for nearby success.

33 minutes ago, dinga said:

THAT'S WHEN THEY SAID IT'S NOT AVAILABLE TO FARANGS

"IT'S"? relates to what? Online banking? Or the EZ account?

And what's up with this account? Why do you find it so desirable?

It may not be acceptable for the 400K/800K Immigration deposit? I don't know for sure, this sort of wording does raise a concern though...

No need to carry a passbook
It is an E-PASSBOOK account, no need to carry a passbook.

https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/deposits/savings-account/easy-saving-account.html

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

OK. Did you apply for online banking when you opened the account yesterday? If not, then return and do so. If yes, it may take a few days? Ages ago I had to wait for a temporary password to arrive in the mail.

Why? Are you going to drive hundreds of kilometers just to open an account? I can see providing YOUR location and then asking for nearby success.

"IT'S"? relates to what? Online banking? Or the EZ account?

And what's up with this account? Why do you find it so desirable?

It may not be acceptable for the 400K/800K Immigration deposit? I don't know for sure, this sort of wording does raise a concern though...

No need to carry a passbook
It is an E-PASSBOOK account, no need to carry a passbook.

https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/deposits/savings-account/easy-saving-account.html

I used SCB Ezy Net yesterday at the Bank - seemed to work OK with the Password I set up at the Klaeng Branch also yesterday.

Please read my post  1.  The Branch asked for those details - presumably to check with other Branches about how the Account can be set up.  2. "IT's"refers to the EZ Savings Account.

Why do I find this Account so desirable????  Irrelevant consideration - clearly not to meet an Immigration requirement as I have Permanent Resident status. [but if you really want to know, it's because the Account pays 1.5% for the first 1mill baht (0.5% thereafter)]

Thanks - yes I know about all the conditions shown on the Product Sales Sheet (at least the English version)

On 1/6/2022 at 12:36 PM, gamb00ler said:

I successfully opened the SCB EZ Savings account on my second visit.  During the first visit the branch staff couldn't seem to finish setting it up.  I asked if I had a Tax ID number could they finish and they said YES.  The next business day I got my Tax ID.  I took my passport, residency certificate from Imm., a bankbook from Bangkok bank and my Thai Driver's License.  I took those just so I could cover as many request as possible.  I only really needed PP and residency cert.

Once I found the right desk, all was done in about 15 minutes.  They gave me a stiff paper card printed on an ancient dot matrix printer with my tax number.

SCB was the next stop and that proceeded pretty quickly also.  The branch was the one at Big C (not the Extra one) on the superhighway.

That's in Chiang Mai.  I'm guessing the Branch No. is 842.

Edited by gamb00ler

12 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:
On 1/6/2022 at 12:36 PM, gamb00ler said:

SCB was the next stop and that proceeded pretty quickly also.  The branch was the one at Big C (not the Extra one) on the superhighway.

That's in Chiang Mai.  I'm guessing the Branch No. is 842.

From the post you responded to.

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2022 at 8:39 AM, mtls2005 said:

https://www.scb.co.th/content/dam/scb/personal-banking/terms-conditions/deposits/ez-savings-account/tc-ez-savings-account-en.pdf

Specific Terms and Conditions for Opening the EZ Savings Account

1 The Applicant shall be an individual and have residence in Thailand. The Applicant shall have right to open
only 1 account of EZ Savings Account. EZ Savings Account shall be opened as individual account only; joint
account or group of people account is not allowed. The deposit amount shall be as prescribed by the Bank.

2 The Applicant shall use SCB Easy Application or SCB Easy Net with the Bank pursuant to the condition
prescribed by the Bank. In case the Applicant has not applied for such service, the Applicant shall apply for
such service on the date of opening account.

Do you currently have an SCB account?

If no, open a regular savings account, apply for mobile banking. Then open an EZ account.

Online A/c opening facility is only for Thai nationals.

• 2 weeks later...

My problem is slightly different.  I am in Hawaii at the moment, I usually log onto my account a few times a month to check bill payments, interest etc etc etc. Have had this account for about 15 years,  I just tried to log onto my account (on-line as usuall) and got the message "Username cannot be used to log onto this account) I am asking forum if anyone with SCB has received any notices that usernames or passwords have to be changed??  Any help will save me a bundle in Telephone calls from here.   Thank You in advance

1 minute ago, TunnelRat69 said:

My problem is slightly different.  I am in Hawaii at the moment, I usually log onto my account a few times a month to check bill payments, interest etc etc etc. Have had this account for about 15 years,  I just tried to log onto my account (on-line as usuall) and got the message "Username cannot be used to log onto this account) I am asking forum if anyone with SCB has received any notices that usernames or passwords have to be changed??  Any help will save me a bundle in Telephone calls from here.   Thank You in advance

I only use the smartphone app.  I don't login from a computer.  I have not received any notices from SCB regarding changes to login information.

Are you using a phone app or a computer and the internet for online access?

1 minute ago, gamb00ler said:

I only use the smartphone app.  I don't login from a computer.  I have not received any notices from SCB regarding changes to login information.

Are you using a phone app or a computer and the internet for online access?

On-Line internet only, I never use my phone for banking - call me old school.   I tried to change password, it asks for Debit Card number (which I have) but still says.........Cannot log into account with this Username..........I added that username in 2016 and have used it every month at least 2 or 3 times a month.

22 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

On-Line internet only, I never use my phone for banking - call me old school.   I tried to change password, it asks for Debit Card number (which I have) but still says.........Cannot log into account with this Username..........I added that username in 2016 and have used it every month at least 2 or 3 times a month.

I would suggest you try the phone app, but that will almost certainly fail unless you can receive SMS from Thailand while in Hawaii.

52 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I would suggest you try the phone app, but that will almost certainly fail unless you can receive SMS from Thailand while in Hawaii.

Well what do you know............logged on just fine on Mobile App, guess I'll just have to wait until I get back to Thailand to try & straighten out the On-Line Inernet version..........Mobile App loses some functionality,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but haven't played with it yet.  Just got the E-Mail (on-computer)warning I always get when I log on so "Life if Good"   I had horrible versions of things that have happened in other banks where some bad tellers started cleaning out foreign accounts............but every single baht is still tucked away for the future.          Thanx for making my day!!!

2 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Well what do you know............logged on just fine on Mobile App, guess I'll just have to wait until I get back to Thailand to try & straighten out the On-Line Inernet version..........Mobile App loses some functionality,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but haven't played with it yet.  Just got the E-Mail (on-computer)warning I always get when I log on so "Life if Good"   I had horrible versions of things that have happened in other banks where some bad tellers started cleaning out foreign accounts............but every single baht is still tucked away for the future.          Thanx for making my day!!!

I'm glad to help and glad it worked out.  I thought you would need to receive an SMS on your Thai number to securely identify yourself to SCB.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all - I'm delighted to advise that I was finally successful in opening an EZ Savings Account after 5 trips to the Bank.

Add the SCB Branch, in the Tesco Lotus Shopping Centre, Klaeng if youe eligibility is challenged by untrained staff.... 

On 4/7/2022 at 8:09 PM, gamb00ler said:

I'm glad to help and glad it worked out.  I thought you would need to receive an SMS on your Thai number to securely identify yourself to SCB.

a little more to this story.........out of the blue, my on-line SCB Easy account started working again (computer based) and the Mobile App doesn't, just keeps going to a sign up page..........okay, I will "let sleeping dog's lie" now the on-line account works again...........I had noticed the interest rate seemed a little lower than usual, I was getting a steady 24-2600 baht a month, now that has dropped to around 1200..........wonder what has changed???. 

I saw this on their website:  Deposits 1-1,000,000 baht  = interest  1.50%   >1,000,000 baht = interest .050%  this makes no sense to me at all.

Wasn't there a notice that only 1,000,000 baht will be insured in any bank account, or was that scrapped.

Thanx again for the good information.

45 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

a little more to this story.........out of the blue, my on-line SCB Easy account started working again (computer based) and the Mobile App doesn't, just keeps going to a sign up page..........okay, I will "let sleeping dog's lie" now the on-line account works again...........I had noticed the interest rate seemed a little lower than usual, I was getting a steady 24-2600 baht a month, now that has dropped to around 1200..........wonder what has changed???. 

I saw this on their website:  Deposits 1-1,000,000 baht  = interest  1.50%   >1,000,000 baht = interest .050%  this makes no sense to me at all.

Wasn't there a notice that only 1,000,000 baht will be insured in any bank account, or was that scrapped.

Thanx again for the good information.

kinda normal in Thailand to have an upper limit, my Krungsri account has the same

10 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Yes there was and no it wasn't scrapped.

However has nothing to do with the interest rate.

• Like 1