Pioneer Elite SC-72 Receiver

HerewardtheWake

I plugged my US domestic market 110v Pioneer Elite SC-72 receiver into a 220v outlet and fried it. I have checked the unit and I don't see a fuse anywhere. 

I have sent a facebook message to Pioneer in Bangkok but got no response.

1. It is unlikely that the unit was sold without a fuse and passed the UL (Underwriters Laboratory) certification. Is there a fuse inside the unit and accessible only to authorized service personnel?

2. Can anyone recommend an electronics repair shop in Pattaya or Bangkok can take a look at the receiver?

Thanks.

Try one of the shops in Fortune town selling such equipment, maybe they could advise someone.

Is the equipment under warranty? If not you could try in BanMoh area, there were many people I observed repairing such receiver/amplifier equipment.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm interested because I too have a 110V Pioneer amp, but I have not yet fried it by plugging it into 220V.  I hope to find a place to put in a new power supply compatible with local Thai power rather than using an external converter.

The OP's posted on quite a few other forums, unless there are ten other people who have the same unit and did the same thing?

And no real feedback there.

It's not clear to me that there is a 220v/50 Hz version of this unit? I assume the OP doesn't want it fried twice, and using a converter is, well, useless.

Maybe the LX72's power supply could be used?

I guess I'd ask a thai friend to search thai forums, maybe check in with Pioneer in Singapore, and forums in Singapore and Japan.

@mtls2005, I was hoping that the transformer in my Pioneer amp could be replaced by any compatible unit that produces output very close to the OEM unit not necessarily a part made by Pioneer.

I should add that I'm in Chiang Mai so I would prefer a local solution.

Edited by gamb00ler

3 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

I was hoping that the transformer in my Pioneer amp could be replaced by any compatible unit that produces output very close to the OEM unit not necessarily a part made by Pioneer.

I was addressing the OPs question(s).

What is the model number of your unit?

You may be able to find a parts list, repair manual for both your version, and a  220V version. I wouldn't assume that it will be as simple as a single FRU swap-out?

Crazy that they don't use switching power supplies? Oh my, too "noisy".

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

I was addressing the OPs question(s).

What is the model number of your unit?

You may be able to find a parts list, repair manual for both your version, and a  220V version. I wouldn't assume that it will be as simple as a single FRU swap-out?

Crazy that they don't use switching power supplies? Oh my, too "noisy".

I do have the repair manual for the unit.  It covers all the versions sold worldwide.  I found the part numbers for the different power supplies.  I Googled for those part numbers but got only hits from the repair manual.  That doesn't mean they're not available just not easily found on the internet.  With my limited knowledge, I don't think its wise for me to attempt the changeover myself.

• 2 weeks later...

All: Sorry, I've been away and did not follow up sufficiently> My Pioneer Elite  SC-72 is a 110v unit. Mistaken plug into a 220v volt outlet fried it. That was my original post. Trying to get t repaired was a futile exercise. Pioneer has been out of home audio, and Onkyo who bought them has no discernible repair facility in Thailand. So, I took the plunge and opened the unit. In the back right hand side there are two fuses. One is a regular 250v 1.5A fuse which clearly got fried. I replaced the fuse, and the unit lit up. You then do a reset by powering off, holding the center button on the 4-way toggle down, and then power up. There is a Youtube procedure to do this if you look for :resetting SC-72: on Youtube. 

14 hours ago, HerewardtheWake said:

No, I am using a step down transformer  220v to 110v because my Pioneer Elite SC-72 is 110v US domestic market unit.

And that allows you to use the unit here without issue?

Can you share any details on this transformer? Make, model? Source? Cost? Might help others.