No Alcohol Allowed at Bangkok’s Songkran Venues

snoop1130

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration will ban alcohol consumption at Songkran festive venues and require prior permission for crowded activities during the Thai New Year festival.

Deep joy for all, bringing happiness to the people.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Here we go again….  puritanical nonsense…

I don’t care for Songkran, but really let people have fun…   The severity of epidemic has wained, it’s over….  It’s just the same as a cold now !!

Those in position of decision making power really need to learn to let go ? 

& the attack on alcohol… jeez… just give it up already ! 

People will have fun at home or with friends.. you just won't see the packed Khao San Road and the likes ... 

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Here we go again….  puritanical nonsense…

I don’t care for Songkran, but really let people have fun…   The severity of epidemic has wained, it’s over….  It’s just the same as a cold now !!

Those in position of decision making power really need to learn to let go ? 

& the attack on alcohol… jeez… just give it up already ! 

I still often wonder what their personal alcohol cabinets look like? I bet full of the finest booze. They all drink. They all know they drink. We all know they drink and have parties. We all know they have fine watches. I needed to throw in  that last one in. ???? I also think their will be many parties with 99 people to keep the Chiefs nose out of things. 

Edited by alex8912
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

I still often wonder what their personal alcohol cabinets look like? I bet full of the finest booze. They all drink. They all know they drink. We all know they drink and have parties. We all know they have fine watches. I needed to throw in  that last one in. ???? I also think their will be many parties with 99 people to keep the Chiefs nose out of things. 

It doesn't matter what their drinks cabinets look like or whether it's common knowledge that they all drink, no one is banning alcohol consumption in general, just at specified organised Songkran events.

There are two sides to this, so I don't expect any thumbs ups.

#1 It makes sense to at least try to control some spread of infections by drunken revelers, because the country aims to declare the thing endemic in months and there's the carrot dangling about relaxing entry requirements. so let's just suffer a 'traditional' Song Kran and get back to normal sooner rather than later. I love alcohol and I'm drinking it right now. But it is a catalyst for dropping your guard.

#2 Many pertinent comments above mine explain that it's just a cold and they all drink and enjoy making us plebs suffer. Many in the tourism and entertainment sectors saw Song Kran fun to be their final opportunity to at least get near to breaking even or recouping something. It's very sad and I feel for them.

As for people who want to bitch and moan that they can't have fun, well they need to try a bit harder. It's not all about 'I wanna get pished and ogle scantily-clad lasses'. 

9 hours ago, smedly said:

and they are enforcing this how exactly 

I await for the answer in 2 days because that is the only day it could possibly make (non)sense, it was just a big April fools joke 

You don't understand the Thai system. He has spoken, made his recommendations, and his job is done. Anything that happens later is not his responsibility. You, I, he and everyone else knows that what is said will be ignored and is unenforceable, but that is not the point. He has acted, done what he considers to be his job, while actually doing nothing. This happens all the time, at least once a week. Someone makes a declaration and the next day it's ignored and forgotten. But that person has done their job by 'acting'.

5 hours ago, harada said:

This should impress the airlines, cancel that ticket.

I doubt very few people come here specially  for Songkran, it’s normally the opposite with people either staying indoors or a flight to where ever possible. Why don’t they confine it to certain areas, Beach Road, Pattaya, Ko San Road etc instead of people driving round in trucks with barrels of water.

Its a Thai celebration in general Thais don’t frequent the bars etc like the tourists do for Christmas and New Year so the bars won’t be losing any income.

So let me think here.  Khaosan, Patpong, Cowboy, Walking Street.  

Imagine these businesses having hundreds of people but having to be closed for the week.

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN

OH WAIT I FORGOT 

There are no bars in these locations just lots of restauarants

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 10:10 AM, alex8912 said:

And you know what? I bet you they don't even pay for the booze.