Mahachanok mangoes

fondue zoo

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Sorry, all mangoes look the same to me. What is so special about a Mahachanok mango?

Sweet and a lot of meat, the pit is smaller. There is a video on Reddit but I'm not sure if we're allowed to post it here

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You want a delicious mango, try 

Australia's Bowen/Kensington Pride mangoes. 

Nothing better

but the post asks about Thailand.... are the Australia's Bowen/kensington available here... for my taste it's Nam Dok Mai

Edited by Mavideol

Who knows the name of these mangoes? 

They are cheap and tasty.

I'm going to the market twice a week to buy. 

They were selling for 5 baht per kilogram (usually 10, 15 baht) at the market here in Pattaya.

A few marks on the outside but inside soft and sweet. 

IMG_20220330_175444.jpg

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

I have no idea what type of Mangoes these are on my tree but they do not turn yellow on the tree they will rot first, they will ripen off the tree however, and of course are eaten when still slightly crunchy with sugar and chilly powder. They are delicious when slightly yellow. I personally think they are the 'blue mango'. On a side note the new fresh leaves can be cooked in hot water, they are quite nice with a tang of mango.

IMG_20220331_082341.jpg.462a5cb39fc0199f77690cb4395a25dd.jpg 

There are 200 species of mango (Mangifera indica) in Thailand. Native to India (hence the Latin 'indica'), Burma, and the Andaman Islands.

Can be grown and trained to shape so the tree is low enough to walk beneath and pick the fruit by hand. Benefits form selective pruning and thinning of inward crossing branches. I'ver seen them espalier on a long stone wall too.

The photo you post looks like maybe the very common 'nam dok mai' but it's easy to mistake one species closely related to another, as many have both similar shapes and seed carapace sizes. They're dead easy to grow but take a few years to mature sufficiently to produce fruit (about 5 to eight years if grown from seed).

I'm an Aussie and know Australian cultivars are very good but Thai mangoes have their deliciousness too.

I find the cultivars of nam dok mai that are more orange fleshed to be better tasting (don't know their exact species or cultivar name. 

18 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You want a delicious mango, try 

Australia's Bowen/Kensington Pride mangoes. 

Nothing better

from WIKI:     It is also grown in Australia, where it has been grafted onto existing Kensington Pride trees.  Cool

Love Bowen mangoes too.

Edited by fondue zoo

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 9:26 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Who knows the name of these mangoes? 

They are cheap and tasty.

I'm going to the market twice a week to buy. 

They were selling for 5 baht per kilogram (usually 10, 15 baht) at the market here in Pattaya.

A few marks on the outside but inside soft and sweet. 

IMG_20220330_175444.jpg

This is the famous sweet green mango, used raw unripe in salads and never eaten ripe. The Thai word is mamuang keow wan "sweet green mango". มะม่วงเขียวหวาน

8 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I just wanna show off my mangoes. This an Australian variety and it's 43cm in circumference and weighs 1,222 grams. They're not all this size but they're there or there about.

IMG_20220428_164755.jpg

That's a nice specimen of Kensington Pride aka Bowen mango.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

They're the BEST tasting mangoes. 

Where did you get the plant? 

Originally I bought my first one a good few years back. My wife liked the fruit and bought another 6-7 about 4 years ago.

We just bought them locally from folk that drive around selling plants/trees etc. I bought based on the picture that showed the fruit. At first I was led to believe it was called an 'Apple mango'.

Mangues - Soleil d'Afrique

• Thanks 1