Covid-19 lockdowns drive surge in online child sexual exploitation and abuse

webfact

Child-abuse_web.jpg

The number of children aged 12-17 who fell victim to online child sexual exploitation and abuse last year surged to about 400,000, according to the Thailand Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force.

Lockdowns forced children to move online for learning and play, putting them at risk of harm including sexual exploitation and abuse. Unsurprisingly, predators have taken full advantage of the unprecedented health crisis to target children who, in Thailand as well as much of the rest of the world, did not receive proper online supervision by parents and caregivers.

Cases involving online child sexual exploitation and abuse are surging. But reporting and disclosing incidents is very low.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The figures from the Thailand Internet Crimes Against Children (TICAC) Task Force show that more than 160,000 cases were recorded during the first four months of the pandemic (between January and April 2020). Last year, the number of children aged 12-17 who fell victim to online child sexual exploitation and abuse surged to about 400,000.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/covid-19-lockdowns-drive-surge-in-online-child-sexual-exploitation-and-abuse/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-04-04

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, RichardColeman said:

Maybe there is some internet algorithm somewhere picking up a surge in the sending of pictures meat and two veg ? 

Or a backlash from closing down a certain free view site?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21st century - unbelievable. I wonder, why the death sentence is not reintroduced for such culprits. You cannot heal or treat such sick brains and the society's interest have to be preserved. 

If anyone would have touched my children or now my grand children, I can promise you, that they would never survive. There is no justification for this and all those tree huggers and do-gooders will have to understand, that the society comes first - me thinks! 

• Like 1