Soundproof windows

Klonko

We contemplate replacing the single glass gliding windows in our house for quieter nights.

We do not require better heat insulation because the surface temperature of our windows is not higher than the 13cm walls, which raises the question if sound proofing the windows actually reduces outside noise. We would only need windows with the same sound proofness like the walls.

I do not know if it was sufficient to replace the windows in our bedroom only - we sleep with the doors open - or made sense to replace all windows. It would be difficult to soundproof the bathroom window.

What are your suggestions with regards to solution and sourcing? No, we will not use earplugs. I am not into DIY but we would have installed new windows by the seller or our trusted handyman. Price is not an issue, though it does not make sense to invest too much money in relation to the value of our typical Thai house.

Just make sure the glass in double glazed windows is of different thickness.  Otherwise the inside pane vibrates in sympathy with the outside one. 

Bathroom can be done . Simply that is has to be opened when showering and closed again. Or have a fixed pan and a vent fan.

If available, you need vacuum double glazing to maximise both heat and sound insulation.

Low frequency sounds are highly efficient as they travel through a medium, they impart little energy to the surroundings......hence the reason low bass notes travel so 'well'.

A vacuum removes any form of medium through which the wave can travel....... Of course they will still travel through the frames and the walls.....but the vacuum will help.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

If available, you need vacuum double glazing to maximise both heat and sound insulation.

Low frequency sounds are highly efficient as they travel through a medium, they impart little energy to the surroundings......hence the reason low bass notes travel so 'well'.

A vacuum removes any form of medium through which the wave can travel....... Of course they will still travel through the frames and the walls.....but the vacuum will help.

Vacuum IGUs will be tiny as the air pressure  (14.7 pounds per square inch) will break anything of a normal window size.

So in short you can’t buy them. The standard is argon filled.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Klonko said:

What are your suggestions with regards to solution and sourcing? No, we will not use earplugs. I am not into DIY but we would have installed new windows by the seller or our trusted handyman. Price is not an issue, though it does not make sense to invest too much money in relation to the value of our typical Thai house.

If your walls are good you can get -20 db reduction 

ours are laminated on the outer pane and a different thickness on the inner 

9 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If your walls are good you can get -20 db reduction 

ours are laminated on the outer pane and a different thickness on the inner 

Now, those are the days makes you glad you paid for the best.....

56 minutes ago, 86Tiger said:

Now, those are the days makes you glad you paid for the best.....

I agree, my windows and doors cost about as much as a cheap house (though there are a lot and quite big)  My sound reduction in the living room is about -24db and the temperature difference without AC is about -10OC

Edited by sometimewoodworker