Paint car different color - approval cost and process?

leola74

I'm in the course of purchasing a used sports car and I'm thinking of having it repainted, something like yellow or orange (original color is black).

I know that the car papers need to be updated at the Transportation Department.  Does anyone know how much this costs and what the process is?  Someone (without knowledge) said it was prohibitively expensive, which is why so few cars are repainted despite new cars being available only in black/white/grey for the most part.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but the car is a BMW (original sold through the dealership in Bangkok)

• Haha 1

Hi,

Repainting prices will vary from simple to quadruple depending of what you expect as a final result. If you want something done professionally, they must disarm the entire inside of the car, clean, sand the old coating, fill in all little micro bumps on the body, put a primer and then paint entirely, number of lays depending on the coating quality and the expected final result. Then they have to rebuild everything. So the number of hours spent on your car will make the bill jumping to the roof.

Of course you can have an outside painting for a reasonable price but..... you get what you pay for.

The only question you must ask yourself is if the market/sentimental value of your car is worth the spending.

Good luck

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It will lose its value as it will not be numbers matching, that's if it is collectable.

Other than that, I cannot see it being expensive getting the book altered, l see many cars/sheds on the road with colour changes..????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

Put film on it. Not sure if you still need to re-register it or simply can remove the film if caught by the authorities.

Wrapping with film still requires the colour in book to be changed but that a quick simple process at the LTD with the correct paperwork in hand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The cost of painting a car depends on the vehicle condition and where you have it done.

As for the admin, ask your local tranxpirf office and get the information direct not as hearsay from people who probably dont even live in your area.

If you care to disclose your location (generally) You may get more accurate information.

I changed colour on my vehicle 4 years ago. All that was required at the vehicle centre was for me to give them a copy of the invoice for the painting and a copy of my passport and they changed it for a 30 Baht fee. Prior to that they had noticed the colour change at the annual inspection and said they would not issue a tax disc for the vehicle when the log book was showing a different colour.

This was at the Krabi department of transport. 

• Like 1

This being Thailand, what you will get at the LTO varies considerably. I have registered a car with colour change at the infamous Chatuchak LTO (forego all hope ye who enter here). They sent me to their Police office, but the officer on duty wasn't interested.

Suggest you take photos of car before and after paint and keep a receipt from the paint shop.

As for changing colour. Doing it properly requires stripping the whole car. Engine out, glass out, doors off (as you will have to paint the door shuts). Hell of a job. The average Thai paint shop might charge 40,000 Baht. With a black car you can get away without doing the engine bay.

I would leave it as original colour if I were you. Colour change can detract from value.